A new experience?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm in love with Gyros!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

My gyro project got jumped-on by the new misses when I got married 43yrs ago, because of their then safety record which was not the best.

However, i've always had a facination for them and would love to own one of the many great designs now available.

They're just so manouverable and able to fly in windy conditions,which would keep the majority of fixed wings on the ground.

Maybe I shouldn't have got married ? bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

• 4 months later...

Why is it that Gyro's are less affected by wind?

I think this will be my next 'endorsement'. I note from reading their website that only a minimum 5 hours training required if you already hold a fixed wing permit/license. Has anyone on this site done the conversion? If so can you share your experiences with regards to how long it took and how they control compared to a UL?

Why is it that Gyro's are less affected by wind?

It is all about the wing area of the machine... compare the surface area of a rotor blade to the surface area of your average light aircraft wing... Gyro's have much less wing area to be affected by the wind. I believe that is the theory...?

Guest Howard Hughes
Well we may not be into gyro's but hells bells, I'd loooove one of these.http://www.pal-v.com/

Wow that is amazing DP! Have seen the chute and fixed wing type 'flying cars', but that one actually looks practical!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I started out with gyros but didn't stay with them because they were just a bunch of paddock bashes. I must say though, they(gyros) are really stable in flight. I once flew in a 2 seat trainer on a hot and gusty day but the flight was so smooth, spoiled only by 2 bumps as we crossed a motorway at about 500ft. Rising hot air off the concrete.

• 2 months later...
I'm in love with Gyros!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I see you've listed a xenon gyro as one of your aircraft. Own and flown or used somebody else's?

Have you flown other models? Built from kits or purchased fully built from the factory?

Know much about the Butterfly Monarch or Golden?

I did check out the websites but thought I'd ask you. I been looking at them though not as yet flown. There's a few training clubs around and Ill probably visit one in Vic. What made you chose the Xenon?

If I are to get involved in gyros I probably go for tandem front and rear, open cockpit, max speed would be a consideration I think, maybe. Faster is good is here's plenty of open space from one place to another.

Any suggestions and thoughts ?

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Jerra,

Never flown one, but it is on my 'wish list'! I like the Xenon because of the side by side seating, but wouldn's say no to Magni M-24 too!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif If you've got questions best to ask Bones, he is the resident gyro guru, he also sells Xenons, or is that Xenai?

Cheers,

HH.

It is all about the wing area of the machine... compare the surface area of a rotor blade to the surface area of your average light aircraft wing... Gyro's have much less wing area to be affected by the wind. I believe that is the theory...?

I know next to nothing about Gyros or helicopters however one of my theories regarding stability is because the rotating 'wing' acts like a gyro,so it is by nature difficult to move from its rotational axis.

Alan.

• Like 1