Need for speed

Just doing some research & thought I would call upon the fount of combined knowledge that hangs out here! Which 2 seat aircraft offer the highest cruise speed say 130 knots or better suitable for long distance travel? I'm thinking ultralight but would consider imported GA if the operating costs aren't too high.

Just doing some research & thought I would call upon the fount of combined knowledge that hangs out here! Which 2 seat aircraft offer the highest cruise speed say 130 knots or better suitable for long distance travel? I'm thinking ultralight but would consider imported GA if the operating costs aren't too high.

Morgan Sierra must come close with a Jab 3300. Otherwise RV's or Lancair?

rgmwa

High wing taildragger, doesn't scream speed to me...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Yeah but it can be done for example the Pipestrel Virus SW works (at least on paper), no idea of prices here for them & never seen one. And taildraggers are inherently slightly faster than NW of course. I'd be OK with a low wing, I just like the view from a high wing.

I probably should look through the RV range as I'm sure there would be cheap ones kicking around in the USA but have to watch the build quality of course.

Yes but most RV can't fit in RAA with 2 POB...I went for a fly in Trevor Mills RV8....holy smoke we were going out at 170 kts...but not RAA over the fence at 75kts...was talking to him the other night and he has done some mods and tells me she will do 180 kts now

• Like 1

That wouldnt matter Tomo, you would have to zig zag from one landing area to the next.

You really don't like them do you!! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

RV's are the way to go with speed, being GA though.

• Like 1

Don't forget the Lightning. It will cruise conservatively at 135 knots, at least mine does and it is still for sale at very competitive price.

• Like 2

Cobra Arrow is another speed machine that springs to mind.(sorry but it is a low wing as well.)

I am aware of one that crashed and burned when piloted by a very experienced flier who lost control during the landing phase... not my cup of tea by a long shot.

kaz

Guest rocketdriver
Who said high wings can't be fast![ATTACH=full]16542[/ATTACH]

We had a TSR2 at college (no. 3 I think).... was said to only need engines to make it fly ........ used to go and look at it almost every week ... almost made me cry to think of the stupid political decisions that cancelled it in favour of the F111 .......

cheers

RD

We had a TSR2 at college (no. 3 I think).... was said to only need engines to make it fly ........ used to go and look at it almost every week ... almost made me cry to think of the stupid political decisions that cancelled it in favour of the F111 .......cheers

RD

It's never been said but I reckon that was due to heavy pressure from the yanks. They didn't want the UK to have a superior aircraft to any of their 'public' ones, and definitely wouldn't want a superior aircraft on the open market, and in competition with whatever they were offering.

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Doug ..... whilst it certainly was not said by the US governtment, it was pretty well understood by me as a student at the time. The yanks lobbied the Au govt VERY hard to get them to buy the F111 and NOT the TSR2. That decision gave the Stupid pommie pollies the excuse they needed to cancel what was beginning to be a very succesfull looking design. They made the excuse of cost overuns, but they had been caused by constant specification changes from the government, including the ability to lift a heavy nuclear weapon off a ploughed field landing ground (DUH). It cast more to cancel the contract than it would have done to proceed with it. Despite requests by BAC to keep the two completed and flying prototypes airworthy for testing the new frontiers that the a/c was capable of exploring, the pollies insisted that they and the jigs were broken up so that the project could never be resurected. Am I bitter ... yes ... still (although perhaps not quite so passionately as back then!). The decision to go with the F111 cost this country and the UK big time in money, jobs, and defence capability (then and in the future) ......all to the benefit of the US arms industry ......

Ah well, it'll all be tghe same in 100 years!

Cheers

RD

Hi Doug ..... whilst it certainly was not said by the US governtment, it was pretty well understood by me as a student at the time. The yanks lobbied the Au govt VERY hard to get them to buy the F111 and NOT the TSR2. That decision gave the Stupid pommie pollies the excuse they needed to cancel what was beginning to be a very succesfull looking design. They made the excuse of cost overuns, but they had been caused by constant specification changes from the government, including the ability to lift a heavy nuclear weapon off a ploughed field landing ground (DUH). It cast more to cancel the contract than it would have done to proceed with it. Despite requests by BAC to keep the two completed and flying prototypes airworthy for testing the new frontiers that the a/c was capable of exploring, the pollies insisted that they and the jigs were broken up so that the project could never be resurected. Am I bitter ... yes ... still (although perhaps not quite so passionately as back then!). The decision to go with the F111 cost this country and the UK big time in money, jobs, and defence capability (then and in the future) ......all to the benefit of the US arms industry ......Ah well, it'll all be tghe same in 100 years!

Cheers

RD

Similar to the Harrier story in the early days.

If The Yanks had designed it, it would have been the best thing since the introduction of sliced bread. (The Faulklands war proved that)

So many brilliant pommie designs over the years have been shelved by the pollies for B.S.reasons, including the Bristol Brabazon, etc, etc, etc.

Gives one the S.H.1.T's to even think about it