Schweizer 300CB??

So my uncle is about half way through getting his chopper licence to use on on their properties, mustering, checking waters and so on. And of course he would be buying an R22 for this purpose, right. Wrong! He has thrown a curve ball by looking seriously at an imported 300CB. But everyone uses R22's for ag work, I hear you say. We that's what I said. In fact, to show my ignorance I had never even heard of the Schweizer( now Sikorsky)!

A quick Google showed a debate to match Ford vs. Holden!drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

The 300c actually looks like a really good platform, with plenty of pros and cons vs the Robinson, and I wondered to myself why it is that I had never heard of them for Ag work.

Could anyone here shed some light on the subject??

In an interesting side note, one Helo training site said that word from Robinson was the the 22 is being fazed out( because of declining sales vs the 44) and a stripped down R44 in a 2+2 w=configuration will be offered in it's place. Seeing as the 22 is $230k new and the 44 is $400k+ they would have to strid it down quite a ways!001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Here's the link: http://www.bluehillhelicopters.com/helicopter-training-boston/helicopter-training-articles/why300.html

Yeh the CBi is the go if it can be got. Later model and more expensive as a result... Pro's and cons are pretty broad H300 v R22 faster cruise in the 22 with the 300 dragging along at only about 70kts or 75 with nose pointed at the ground too. You also have no throttle governor in the 300 so all throttle work is manual, a bit more to think about but not a problem once you get a handle on it and very good skills to have IMO. The 3 blade semi articulated head is a better concept and design than 2 blade rigid, especially in rowdy air and gives a very stable and smooth ride cf the 'twitchier more sprightly feel in the 22. Can squeeze in 3 POB in the 300 (at least you can in the CBi). I reckon the 300 is a better more robust build all in all. Perhaps a little easier to fly well also, but slow... Lots use it as a training platform. I think a new CBi comes in a little more expensive than a 22... Probably a good reason for the lack of love in Ag work... But I think they have better TBO and component times so costs can even out, but that means little if you just want to burn fuel in 22 and turn them over.

I understand you can pick up older model 300's pretty cheap at times If you don't need to whiz around at the speed a 22 can provide, nothing wrong with a 300.

I think the R22 is a little more gentle on the engines. From memory, I think the O-360 in the 22 operates around 2,650rpm, whereas the IO-360 in the 300 is more in the 3100rpm range. (don't quote me on that, but I think it's around those figures)

I haven't done any work on the 300's, but the 22's are a very simple aircraft, and reliable if done right, they will bite if not respected though - pilots realise the lack of power pretty quick on a hot day, full fuel with a tail wind! I've never Piloted a Helicopter, but done some work on the 22's in the maintenance side of things.

A guy up here went for the 300 because of the better O/H hours and costs, but he could not keep it running, it was serviced at Ingham, run perfectly, as soon as he took it over the top of the range, it would start playing up, to the extent of not starting some mornings, never found the problem, sold it, and from reports is running fine on the coastal area for the new owner ??? just one of those things