Super Diamond Plans Available

Garry Morgan

The brigs and strattion motor only clams small horse power but it would appear that a 20 hp Briggs but is as good as a 50hp 503 Rotax and it only cost about $1600.00new with an electric start two cylinder 4 stroke and 5.5 ltrs an hr fuel burn, and weight 80lb, theses has been used for many years in the US. a good motor for a single seat aircraft.

Once upon a time I used to think the larger Briggs and Stratton engines were bullet proof... then the alloy conrod cracked at the big end clean in half on my ride on mower..

The repair shop could not give a reason why.

Engine was maintained correctly and subject to frequent oil changes, even used the proper Briggs and Stratton branded oil.

Kind of went off them after that.

Once upon a time I used to think the larger Briggs and Stratton engines were bullet proof... then the alloy conrod cracked at the big end clean in half on my ride on mower..The repair shop could not give a reason why.

At it's peak Briggs were making an amazing 80,000 engines per 24 hour shift from it's 3 US factories - there's going to be the odd failure here and there, the numbers/stats just can't avoid it and remember what they are made for.

Briggs make about half that nowadays per 24 hours, still pretty impressive numbers though!

There's aftermarket "proper" conrods by the way.

From what I understand, Valley Engineering in USA make a pretty good engine package with there 'valley big twin' ( Briggs ) with some aftermarket billet components, redrive and culver prop.

Looks impressive and possibility a good match for this kind of single seat aircraft.

JimG

We have both B&S and Kohler V-twins on the farm. The B&S, like all B&Ss we have had, has had issues....the latest one being the the diodes on the magneto kill wires burnt out. It also runs pretty rough at idle, the governor hunts around and I have had the carby apart several times. That being said it works in a pretty tough environment and it seems to be well built with a nice twin carby. But it is not a engine I can rely on to start first time every time.

The Kohler is a similar age and is on a fire pump. It always starts and has not missed a beat yet. It runs much smoother with less vibration than the B&S. I don't know what sort of carby or quality of build it has because I have yet to take a spanner to it.

The new plans of the Super Diamond are available. You can also buy as a mostly material kit with a cowl how about 5K. If you build it with a Kolher V twin motor building off plans only, you can get it into the air for $7,100.00 with all new parts and a radio.

If you would like it as a two seater, talk to me as it may not be far away.

The new plans of the Super Diamond are available. You can also buy as a mostly material kit with a cowl how about 5K. If you build it with a Kolher V twin motor building off plans only, you can get it into the air for $7,100.00 with all new parts and a radio.If you would like it as a two seater, talk to me as it may not be far away.

Any Idea on the cost of the Plans

• 1 month later...

"The new plans of the Super Diamond are available. You can also buy as a mostly material kit with a cowl how about 5K. If you build it with a Kolher V twin motor building off plans only, you can get it into the air for $7,100.00 with all new parts and a radio."

What am I missing here? $7,100 is not a lot of money to get flying.

Has the Kolher V twin been used in a similar aircraft before? 40hp? any details on performance, reliability etc?

Any more info on this path, "mostly material kit with a cowl about $5000" this then leaves $2100 for motor and instruments etc.

This all sounds too good, it has got me thinking about starting a project.

"The new plans of the Super Diamond are available. You can also buy as a mostly material kit with a cowl how about 5K. If you build it with a Kolher V twin motor building off plans only, you can get it into the air for $7,100.00 with all new parts and a radio."What am I missing here? $7,100 is not a lot of money to get flying.

Has the Kolher V twin been used in a similar aircraft before? 40hp? any details on performance, reliability etc?

Any more info on this path, "mostly material kit with a cowl about $5000" this then leaves $2100 for motor and instruments etc.

This all sounds too good, it has got me thinking about starting a project.

The Kolher V twin engine in my experience is a great choice. The John Deere mower at work has approx. 353 hours on it, and the only maintenance done on it, is oil changes at no where near the recommended intervals. I did a oil change at 285 hours, I think the oil was only previously changed once before that. The engine doesn't miss a beat, and doesn't burn any oil. I would fly behind one no problem.

The Kolher V twin engine in my experience is a great choice. The John Deere mower at work has approx. 353 hours on it, and the only maintenance done on it, is oil changes at no where near the recommended intervals. I did a oil change at 285 hours, I think the oil was only previously changed once before that. The engine doesn't miss a beat, and doesn't burn any oil. I would fly behind one no problem.

I would fly behind a 100Hp one too, on grain augers you can't kill them. Oil change optional, air filter optional, occasional use no problem, they don't like water down the intake but I guess most people would try to avoid this in an aircraft application. I hadn't seen a 40Hp, thought maybe 28Hp pulled them up.

• 1 month later...

It will be a bit slower (10kts) and motors around 80- 100 hp most motors will fit or you make them fit. also if you know any one wanting a good cheap motor i have a 80hp Rotax but it will be sold with all the extras needed to get it complete for an airframe. The tapered wing ribs can be purchased from us .