Webinar-12 Myths About Stalls & Spins — Letting the Facts Fly

djpacro

Thu, Mar 15, 2012 11:00 AM - 12:22 PM AEDT

Presenter: Rich Stowell

Host: Trish Deimer-Steineke

It has been more than a century since the Wright Brothers gave us the miracle of powered flight, yet myth and misunderstanding still abound regarding stalls and spins. Rich dispels a “dirty dozen” common myths that unfortunately continue to be perpetuated during flight training. Do slow speeds really lead to stalling? Are slips really as dangerous as skids? Get the facts on these and more!

To participate, register at https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/630788794

or watch it in the EAA archive later.

I can't seem to get any video up to play on the EAA site...

I never had any problems with Windows XP, but I had to upgrade the computer six months and got Windows 7. Since then I've had problems with EAA videos, and also videos posted here. However if I go to full screen it seems to be OK. Had to do that with the `12 Myths' video too.

rgmwa

It works fine on my old PC and new laptop - both with W7. (You're welcome to visit)

You can also view earlier videos by Rich on the same subject. A few Australians participated in this latest webinar.

Worked fine for me in Firefox (Linux).

The webinar left me with the impression that it was instructors that perpetuated these myths and needed re-educating. What are we students meant to do about it? There wasn't much in the myths that I was surprised by as it is all clearly dealt with in most of the reading I have done (you don't do spin training in RAA 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif ). I know there are often no absolutes in aviation, but it still amazes me how many old ideas in aviation are clung to in the face of modern evidence to the contrary.

Interesting seminar. Like Powerin, I didn't get any real surprises, but the gentle pace of the session meant that I could sit and really think about a few things that he said rather than just letting them fly past me. The other thing that it did was reawaken an idea I've had previously - to go and get some spin training. As a RA pilot, I've obviously had no spin training, but I also don't want to head down the GA path just to get a it either. I'm not interested in aerobatics so (very) unusual attitudes training isn't what I have in mind, but more just to find out

a) what a spin feels like (and how easy or other wise it is to detect the rotation direction), and

b) how close I'm getting to an incipient spin in my normal operations.

Is there a way to do that without becoming a GA student?

..... so ... just to find out ...... Is there a way to do that without becoming a GA student?

You don't need to get a Student Pilot Licence or medical to achieve that - just find an appropriate (if he/she doesn't know who Rich Stowell is then that is a hint) instructor with an appropriate aeroplane, talk to him/her before you book to agree on the scope and make sure that you get a good briefing before the flight.

You don't need to get a Student Pilot Licence or medical to achieve that - just find an appropriate (if he/she doesn't know who Rich Stowell is then that is a hint) instructor with an appropriate aeroplane, talk to him/her before you book to agree on the scope and make sure that you get a good briefing before the flight.

Thanks DJ. Out of interest, how is it that you don't need a student licence? Is it treated as a TIF, or is there some other dispensation?