J230-SP air leaks around front doors

John Womer

I've got significant air leaks around both front doors of my "new" 2010 J230-SP (factory built U.S. model).

Things I've noticed:

Both doors seem to fit identically. When each door is securely closed, the gap between the door and the fuselage is even all the way around, and the edge of the door is flush with the fuselage everywhere EXCEPT for the lower rear corner. Beginning approx. 4" (100 millimeters) below the door lock, and extending around the corner to the bottom center, edge of the each door protrudes approx 1/8" - 3/16" (3.0 - 4.5 mm) beyond the fuselage. With little effort, I can push each door inward to make it flush with the fuselage but, of course, they pop out as soon as I let go.

The upper half of each door frame is fitted with a piece of 3/8" x 3/8" (9.5mm x 9.5mm) white EPDM "D style" weather stripping that runs from just above the upper hinge runs, along the top, and down to the striker plate. There is no weather stripping fitted to the bottom half of each door frame or anywhere on the doors themselves. And when looking from the inside with the doors closed, outside light is visible around each door except where the EPDM weather stripping is installed. I found one reference to weather strip "glued around all edges of the door" in the J230/J430 "Aircraft Service Manual" but nothing else in any other Jabiru documents as to what is normal.

I would appreciate knowing whether this is a common issue, what weather stripping came "standard" on other planes, and what modificatios -- if any -- other Jab owners have made to reduce or eliminate leaks around their doors.

Thanks!

(Photo of my front door and door frame attached).

N731J.jpg.6df8d8cc4cd436f2e80ed192bd976755.jpg

I've got significant air leaks around both front doors of my "new" 2010 J230-SP (factory built U.S. model).Things I've noticed:

Both doors seem to fit identically. When each door is securely closed, the gap between the door and the fuselage is even all the way around, and the edge of the door is flush with the fuselage everywhere EXCEPT for the lower rear corner. Beginning approx. 4" (100 millimeters) below the door lock, and extending around the corner to the bottom center, edge of the each door protrudes approx 1/8" - 3/16" (3.0 - 4.5 mm) beyond the fuselage. With little effort, I can push each door inward to make it flush with the fuselage but, of course, they pop out as soon as I let go.

The upper half of each door frame is fitted with a piece of 3/8" x 3/8" (9.5mm x 9.5mm) white EPDM "D style" weather stripping that runs from just above the upper hinge runs, along the top, and down to the striker plate. There is no weather stripping fitted to the bottom half of each door frame or anywhere on the doors themselves. And when looking from the inside with the doors closed, outside light is visible around each door except where the EPDM weather stripping is installed. I found one reference to weather strip "glued around all edges of the door" in the J230/J430 "Aircraft Service Manual" but nothing else in any other Jabiru documents as to what is normal.

I would appreciate knowing whether this is a common issue, what weather stripping came "standard" on other planes, and what modificatios -- if any -- other Jab owners have made to reduce or eliminate leaks around their doors.

Thanks!

(Photo of my front door and door frame attached).

• 1 year later...

Hi John,

Hope you get this message - I was planning on buying your exact aircraft from USjabiru a few years back but unfortunately it was only a two-seater and I'm looking for the 4-seater J430/450(europe) model.

Would you please contact me by email to further discuss your aircraft and experience you've had with it to date? I am still on the lookout and serisously considering putting in a 3-screen G3X system with autopilot which Garmin has recently been pushing out for only 10K!

Thanks, hope to hear from you soon, you can reach me on jandekeersmaeckerATgmail.com

Yanus De Keersmaecker in Belgium.