Cape York to PNG

Howdy All,

I am wondering if anyone has ever contemplated about going to PNG Flying from Cape York to PNG or knows of anyone that has ever done it, There is a 100klm stretch between the last of the island in the straights between PNG and the Small islands heading north, Would love to add it to a list of things to do (When I retire or get time off in spades, will think of doing an around australia, and while up there, why not go and see some of the sothern cities and areas)

My first question is, would our certificates be noted up there? or would you need a PPL? Where would anyone get details on there airspace?

Just a thought..

ReD

• Caution 1

All the charts I used were available in Australia. ( Some time ago) I have no idea about our certificates. I doubt if they count for much. I don't recall it generally as U/L friendly. It's got big clouds, rain and big hills, jungles and stuff like that. Lots of people have gone from Thursday Island to PNG. I wouldn't go in anything that wasn't turboprop or twin engine. It's a seasonal thing as both sides of the Island have wet and dry seasons, and theres a lot of high ground between the two sides of it, which presents a challenge to fliers. You might be able to do a coastal thing in an amphibian, but you would want to research it with someone who has lived there and is familiar with the area, and the people. Nev

I think you will find that that RAAus rego aircraft are only legal in Australia. You will need a GA reg plane and at least a PPL to fly to PNG legally.

And a HF with PNG freqs, and all the usual overwater stuff. And all the paperwork such as manifests, pax sheets, etc etc etc. I think we Aussies might even need a Visa to get into PNG these days!

I've done the trip Horn Island to Daru several times and there's a lot of water between - about 110nm if correct? Just close yr eyes and think positive!! Most people who do the Straits do it via all the islands with strips, and I think hit the PNG coast at Saibai Is, then track east to Daru to clear Customs.

In any case, there's very little Avgas availability in PNG, even if you successfully negotiate the main Highlands 'gaps' and get to where you want. Remember that you'll need over 7000 ft to clear most of the main gaps, and the average RAAus aircraft is going to struggle if you try to operate it out of any mountain strip. A Cessna 182 with 2 or 3 people up would be the lower limit of what I'd suggest.

happy days,

"I wouldn't go in anything that wasn't turboprop or twin engine."

I'm with Nev on this matter. I am considering it but in a twin. I have done the Tasi crossing in a single but it was a Commanche with a life raft on board. The weather and LSAL up there are not something I would do in most singles.

I am not suggestting it can't be done just not with me on board.

FrankM

• Like 1

Yes, you need a visa/passport - well I did when I was there last year. I have a few friends that have ferried various aircraft up there, but something I wouldn't do in an RAA aircraft that's for sure! However, once over there, a small aircraft in the lowland areas would be quite fun. Though the definition of tiger country is well and truly high on the scale! I wouldn't ever venture into the highlands without a substantial familiarisation flight(s) with someone experienced. Definitely a must do venture trip up there one day if you're that way inclined, I like the place as something very unique.

Re-iterating: In PNG,

1. AVGAS is scarce - you have to pre-organise it, and that can be difficult.

2. RAAus types are not legal, and won't cut it, performance wise, in PNG anyway

3. It's marginal VFR weather - most times of day, most days, most places.

4. Forced landing possibilities are few and far between

5. Professional pilots flying in PNG undergo a strict course of training known as 'route and airstrip endorsing' - if they need it-what are you doing there uninformed and untrained?

5. MAF are a truly outstanding organisation, so confirm points 1-5 with them.

happy days,