Repacking a parachute(GRS)

Hi all, I've got a GRS chute that has just reached 6 years of age and according to the manufacturer it is now due for a repack. Has anyone had any experience with this? The only place to get it done is in the US where it was manufactured. Is it worth it as the transport cost will be high due to the attached rocket that needs to be sent back with it. I'm not even sure it can be sent back due to the live rocket?

Bluey

So, you can remove the rocket from the rest of package. Sounds Dangerous? I'm not sure if you can do this with the GRS system. I haven't seen anything about this on their website.

Bluey

you leave the rocket on the airframe and send off the parachute to get it repacked. mine looked almost new when they came arrived.

my planes came into Australia with the rockets attached to them. even the customs guys didn't notice them.

I've managed to find a online manual and it clearly states that the complete unit needs to be returned as they replace the rocket motor as well as air out the chute every 6 years.

Bluey.

Hi Bluey,

You say it's a GRS, not a BRS . . .

GRS come from Czech Republic in Eastern Europe, not from the USA like BRS does. Then again maybe BRS is offering to repack your GRS?

I bought a GRS-450 in 2004 from an Australian dealer who cannot be mentioned here. (Literally, his name gets changed to "*****").

I handed my GRS back to the dealer to send for a new rocket & repack at Temora Natfly 2011 and apparently the factory has just received it. The Oz dealer is taking care of the shipping back to his Oz location (different state and 10 hours drive each way for me), where I'll need to collect it from. Expected cost is a bit under $2k.

Cheers,

Glen

Wow! Thanks Glen, 12 months to get to them. Not sure it's worth bothering with if we can expect a turn around time of two years. We may as well just get a BRS replacement.

I had no idea they weren't made in the USA. Just my ignorance...

Bluey.

BRS aren't the best company to deal with. FedEx and UPS offer "business accounts" where the business charges you "retail" and the shipper gets 50% back. Makes your repack pretty expensive.

I know the repack life is 6 years but given that a repack seems pointless and a replacement is the best option, any idea how long after repack is due the chute should remain viable for? To put it more simply, how urgently does it need to be replaced given that it has always been kept in a hangar out of the weather when the aircraft was not been flown?

Bluey.

Guest davidh10
... To put it more simply, how urgently does it need to be replaced given that it has always been kept in a hangar out of the weather when the aircraft was not been flown?

As with all "use by dates", you won't know till it goes off, or in this case fails to go off! On the other hand maybe it could go off, by itself due to deterioration, which can just be oxidation of the propellant. Propellant isn't ever completely "pure", it contains impurities that can cause degradation or even in some cases instability.

I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer or service agent with any queries. This small excerpt from the BRS manual is quite specific:

All BRS rocket motors must be replaced by their date of expiry. These service datesare printed on placards on the sides of the parachute container and rocket. When the

rocket is due for replacement, DO NOT ship it to BRS!! It is highly illegal and

dangerous for our customers to ship loaded rockets and propellant without the proper

packaging and documentation.

When the time has come for replacement, please contact BRS for service instructions

on how to safely disassemble your rocket and dispose of it properly.

Obviously your system may have different instructions in the Manual.

I just spoke to an instructor who only recently tried to get one into the country and failed. Apparently getting the GRS out is easy enough but getting it back in seems impossible. It looks as though it will need to be disposed of. Even that could be an expensive problem.

Bluey.

Hi does the rocket need changing, if not l have a chute re packer in Melbourne he has done my chute over the last few times ,one of my BRS chutes he converted to spring loaded got rid off the rocket as it was out of date..

He only charges few hundred dollars he is qualified repacker.

cheers Geoff

According to the GRS manual, they replace the rocket every 6 years and repack the chute. If I could get the name and number of the person in Melbourne that would be great.

Thanks Geoff.

Bluey.

So, you can remove the rocket from the rest of package. Sounds Dangerous? I'm not sure if you can do this with the GRS system. I haven't seen anything about this on their website.Bluey

It's easy if you're a rocket scientist. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hi does the rocket need changing, if not l have a chute re packer in Melbourne he has done my chute over the last few times ,one of my BRS chutes he converted to spring loaded got rid off the rocket as it was out of date..He only charges few hundred dollars he is qualified repacker.

cheers Geoff

Spring loaded BRSs sound like a great idea if it is just as effective as a rocket propelled unit. I wonder if this could be a good commercially viable option?

It's easy if you're a rocket scientist. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Spring loaded BRSs sound like a great idea if it is just as effective as a rocket propelled unit. I wonder if this could be a good commercially viable option?

Hi the only difference is the deployment hight

According to the GRS manual, they replace the rocket every 6 years and repack the chute. If I could get the name and number of the person in Melbourne that would be great.Thanks Geoff.

Bluey.

Hi Bluey give Joe a ring here are all his details.Joe Chitty, 43 Wilfred Road, Ivanhoe, Vic 3079, (03) 9499 6105, Fx 03 9354 2795 , Mbl 0412 704 708. Email: [email protected]. Tony Maurer, Lot 56 Lee ...

80kts rocket powered chutes can save you as close as 180ft AGL the spring loaded ones would be much much higher the deployment time would be far greater

The Magnum chute I am getting is the 600kg version it is US$4500. I am not sure on the freight costs yet though or when it has to go back about trashing the rocket before sending it then after repacking they send it with a new rocket. The magnum chutes are also know as "Junkers" brand in europe

Mark