asic card - anyone lost one ?

Got my 3rd ASIC card today - 3rd 2 year term with this card

I'd say in summary the process was easy with RAAI (thanks) but in the great paper shuffle I was told RAAI did not have the old card and it was up to me to ..............blah blah........... !

The requirement is to return the old card before getting the new one

Has any poor unfortunate sole lost the 'hallowed' card and what was required to appease the legislature ............................. prior issue of the next one ?

As said many times before - by others - it's (ASIC card) the most irrelevant piece of plastic I carry - no ome has ever asked for it at the required aerodromes - I wonder what its (ASIC card) bureaucratic fate might be ?

Ya gotta return the card if it expires, other wise you can be prosecuted. They sent me a postage paid return envelope for mine, so I cut my ASIC in half and sent it back, (mine was not done through RA Aus).

Don't like your chances of getting a new one without sending in the old?

If you have genuinely lost it, I am sure a Stat Declaration should sort it out ... there has to be a practical remedy.

My original asic had my name misspelt (misspelled?) Got a new one issued but didn't return the first one. Was quite handy having 2. Upon renewal, only returned the first 2 so they didn't fine me. Didn't return old one prior to renewal as without it I couldn't fly. But I did leave the renewal to the last minute, so the replacement card didn't expire a month short (the expiry is the month ending preceeding the criminal check). I've also never had any0ne ask to see it airside.

Nev

I'm still waiting on my renewal, meanwhile I just use my expired one... (I do have the receipt that my renewal is getting processed). I mean, this whole thing is ludicrous when you think about it.

• Like 2

I was at Wings over Illawarra at the weekend & one thing I did notice was the amount of expired ASIC cards Pilots had hanging around their necks. The only thing this card is good for is ripping $$$ out of our pockets????

• Like 2

Aw come on, think of the benefits... It is almost like a loyalty card, you get discounted coffee at airports with it 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

True ... stick it around your neck at Tullamarine or Sydney or Brisbane airports and you get food discounts, because they think you are airport staff. Buy enough coffee and donuts and it will pay for itself ...augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Dropped my old ASIC and renewal application into the RAA office early November 2011, well before the expiry date. I was hoping for a quick turnaround so I could go crosscountry over Christmas. It seems that the government agency issuing the cards had a machine breakdown. The card was received mid January with a November 2013 expiry. Insult upon injury. Not only did I have to change my Christmas plans but I lost 2.5 months on the renewal date as well. My whinge for the day.

Cheers

Steve

Not only did I have to change my Christmas plans but I lost 2.5 months on the renewal date as well. My whinge for the day.

Mate don't put up with this - demand a refund for the missing portion or the date be corrected. Make a big noise and keep at it till they make good as this simply isn't good enough, these people (PS) are our servants and you should make it clear you expect much better. In many cases only by annoying them somewhat will they lift their game.

Personally I reckon I would have just gone on the trip... can you imagine Qantas laying off staff / cancelling flights as they were waiting for their updated ASIC's?

GG is absolutely right. What they have done is fraudulently misrepresented their fee structure and service. They have effectively charged you a fee for an advertised service they did not deliver. We should NOT be tolerating this.

Yeah.....I thought about a formal complaint but when the ASIC agent, the RAA office, was not interested in passing it on I let the issue drop. A letter to the Minister or Department Secretary with the support of an agent will often get traction but without their support I deemed it a waste of time.

To be fair, I should mention the the RAA office was down on staff (because of leave and Steve Bell's resignation) and there was the normal influx of holiday accidents and incidents (eg that idiot doing beat ups over boats on the Hume Weir) so my issue was not, I suspect, of a high priority to them. Anyway, I prefer to just go flying..... with an occasional bleat.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Steve

Hey, I've always got my ASIC through RA-Aus and it has never come with a holder. Does anybody know where you can get a proper holder and lanyard. It's stuck to a library lanyard at the moment.

ferris - regarding the holder ................... I drill a hole thru the card (breaching casa regulation 16 b) ii)) then slip knot a rubber band or such like thru it ................. this way you can hang it off a button, button hole, eye glasses (looks stylish), belt (western look out west), hat (fly swat), forehead (shade) etc

still like to hear from someone that has lost a card - I'd like to hear what process was required when the said plastic was lost - the hallowed card - I suspect a stat dec might not be enough ? (stand on one leg and crow like a chicken at 10.25 pm on a waning moon ?)

...breaching casa regulation 16 b) ii)) ....

Nothing to do with CASA.

.... I'd like to hear what process was required when the said plastic was lost - the hallowed card - I suspect a stat dec might not be enough ? ....

Stat dec http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/factsheet/fact13.aspx#11

Hey, I've always got my ASIC through RA-Aus and it has never come with a holder. Does anybody know where you can get a proper holder and lanyard. It's stuck to a library lanyard at the moment.

Hi Ferris

Im surei have aspare at home...pm me with a postal address and I'll send you one.

Kaz

GG is absolutely right. What they have done is fraudulently misrepresented their fee structure and service. They have effectively charged you a fee for an advertised service they did not deliver. We should NOT be tolerating this.

Absolutely on the money, David. This attitude is widespread across the public service and in commerce. We are the customer; they are serving us, so we should be at least getting what we paid for, as well as polite and efficient service.

Today's gripe: when I order items for my workshop the supplier usually insists on sending via courier. I explain that (living 5km from the centre of town) I get good service from Australia Post but in 30 years I've had one (yes only one) delivery by a courier. When the item is due I am expected to phone around the local carriers to find out who has my urgently-needed parcel, then go and collect it myself.

My $12,000 aero engine sat in one local carrier's depot (his aged mum's old car shed) for days, and I was never contacted. The door was open, and to this day the carrier has no idea who collected that parcel.

I recently ordered a heavy item and paid for delivery. Even after explaining the above, they assured me it would be delivered. It has been at the depot for a week, and I'm making a case of this one.

Lyle