For all you old and bold hang glider, glider and "Ultralight" pilots ... Vale Ray Fehlberg

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

Vale Ray Fehlberg

For those in the hang gliding, gliding and ultralight movements who knew Ray, it is my sad duty to let you know that Ray passed away suddenly on Sunday evening 13/5/2012.

Ray started hang gliding in South Australia and flew the coastal sites to the south of Adelaide as well as being one of the early pioneers of inland flying, most notably at Burra.

Ray moved to Melbourne in the late 70’s following a promotion at work. He was an accomplished hang glider pilot regularly seen at London Bridge, Flinders and Spion Kopje as well as Kilcunda and inland sites such as The Paps, Mt. Buffaloe and Porepunkah. He was the inaugural Secretary to the HGFA in its first year of operation and was instrumental in achieving our first national 3rd party insurance scheme (A huge effort) as well as smoothing the way to CASA’s acceptance of HGFA’s authority and ability to manage the hang gliding movement. In a way, Ray was also involved in the emergence of the AUF when the HGFA decided (at our first annual national conference that was held in Yea) that the HGFA (being a gliding focussed organisation) was not in a position and did not have the skills to support and manage the nascent powered ultralight movement.

In the early 80’s, whilst still involved with hang gliding, Ray took to gliding at Horsham, and there would be many who would remember Ray , his experimental wheat patch at the side of the airfield and the Saturday evening parties. By the mid to late 80’s, Ray was flying at Benalla on big cross country flights and into the mountains. He particularly enjoyed club outings away at Porepunkah, Mount Beauty, Corryong and Khancoban. And the parties ....

In the late 80’s, Ray started flying what were then called “ultralights” out of Sunbury and also at Wangaratta, becoming an accomplished Skyfox and Thruster pilot.

By the 90’s, Ray’s work and family life schedules were beginning to impact his time and money ability to go flying (as is often the case for all of us) and he gradually became a less active pilot although still keen to fly with his friends when the opportunity arose. He would often be found in the back seat of a warbird or aerobatic ‘plane, or perhaps enjoying the view from the right hand seat over the York Peninsular and outback South Australia.

Ray’s other interests also included Horse riding (especially as his daughter grew though her ‘teens), occasional motor club sprints around Winton and Philip Island in a friend’s car, windsurfing and most recently cycling. Ray is the only 60 year old I know to have ridden to the top of Mt. Buffaloe and to Feathertop, not once, but several times ......

Ray’s flying career spanned several decades and touched many people. He had strong family values, was universally well liked and will be sadly missed by all, not just those with whom he flew.

Guest ozzie

I never met Ray but do remember his name from the early days of the formation of the HGFA particularly the transition period from TASA to HGFA. I do not remember his name on the MAFA membership list maybe he was a member of the LAA in Victoria if he was into the "Minimum" years.

sad to here a early pioneer has passed. Blue skies

Ozzie

Guest rocketdriver

C

I never met Ray but do remember his name from the early days of the formation of the HGFA particularly the transition period from TASA to HGFA. I do not remember his name on the MAFA membership list maybe he was a member of the LAA in Victoria if he was into the "Minimum" years.sad to here a early pioneer has passed. Blue skies

Ozzie

Can't remember "MAFA" or "LAA". Ray and I were both TAHGA (TASSA?) members and members of the Suthern Hang Gliding club that met monthly in a Pub (where else) once a month. I remember Roger Pullen from SA was the guy that persuaded Ray (and I) to get involved administrating HGFA ....

Still have a TAHGA handbook (the precursor to the HGFA ops manual) and a VHGA site manual detailing the topography and rating for many Victorian sites ....Contributors to this latter manual include Craig Aitkin, David Harding, Gavin Hill, Bruce Jackson, Len Kilpatrick, Alan Mayhew, John Reynoldson and John Walmsley ...... Many faces come to mind, and several names I don't believe I met ...

Just as an aside, about 4 years ago at Flinders, I came across Gavin Hill about to launch and, silly man, he allowed me to steady the glider on the front wires and to launch him ..... memories came flooding back I can tell you ....

Cheers

RD

Guest ozzie

The MAFA was the Minimum Aircraft Federation of Australia it had a name change along the way to 'flyers' association. Formed around 1976 and ran till 1986 or so when the membership rolled over to the AUF.

The LAA was the Light Aircraft Association based in LaTrobe valley in Victoria. I think they were at that early stage a division of the SAAA. Last i heard they were still active and would be the oldest 'ultralight' club in Australia.

TASA was mostly NSW but had members right around the country, other states had their similar versions and all were rolled in together to form the HGFA at the Dept's request. I think the first meeting was at Kogarah Bay in Sydney around 1977. I still have some early TASA and HGFA magazines in my collection.

From memory all the seperate state associations came together without much drama unlike the 3 year S^%$ fight between the AUF and SAAA. MAFA members were very pro SAAA and did not roll into the AUF easily either.