Why are Trikes so expensive?

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

Have always wondered why trikes are so expensive...

On the face of it they would seem to be some of the most simple flying machines available, so why are they so expensive? Am I missing something? To me they should be about half the cost that they are.

Because they are so well made. have a good look at the construction. The Rans planes are too and they are a bit more expensive than most.

The Gazelle was over 70K when new and that was a lot of money then.

I guess if they were made in China they would be about 1/3rd of the price. The Cessna Skycatcher is made there and the price just keeps going up. What are they now 150K? Nev

Have always wondered why trikes are so expensive...On the face of it they would seem to be some of the most simple flying machines available, so why are they so expensive? Am I missing something? To me they should be about half the cost that they are.

I wonder the same Mark, I think half of the price is the engine though...

Guest Crezzi

There is no shortage of cheap trike vendors but their products aren't generally tested or certified to any standard that would be acceptable in Aus. The best most of them could be used for is possibly as a 95.10 single seater.

The testing & certification process is a significant proportion of the cost of a trike as is the costs of becoming and remaining an NAA approved manufacturer.

Cheers

John

Because they are so well made. have a good look at the construction. The Rans planes are too and they are a bit more expensive than most.The Gazelle was over 70K when new and that was a lot of money then.

I guess if they were made in China they would be about 1/3rd of the price. The Cessna Skycatcher is made there and the price just keeps going up. What are they now 150K? Nev

Latest Sport Pilot has "new" Skycatchers for $170K inc GST

Guest davidh10

The Airborne trikes are built in two versions. One for the overseas market (LSA) and the other for the home market (Primary category Certified). CASA does the certification. That does not just mean a CofA, but all the materials (not a once off, but each batch), design and build processes as well.

Guest Howard Hughes
I wonder the same Mark, I think half of the price is the engine though...

That is what I figured Tomo, even second hand trikes I have seen advertised for $55k+, although they do appear to be higher end models.

You can buy a barebones Xenon gyro for $39,500 Euros (about $52k, although was $50k only a couple of weeks ago) it uses the same 912 engine and it is also a certified machine.

Guest davidh10
...You can buy a barebones Xenon gyro for $39,500 Euros (about $52k, although was $50k only a couple of weeks ago) it uses the same 912 engine and it is also a certified machine.

So is that an LSA Certification or a Primary Category Certification? It could be either, but I believe the difference in cost is substantial.

See here for different certification categories.

Guest Howard Hughes

I'm not sure, I'll see what I can find out.

I still think Trikes are on the expensive side, given their simplicity! In my opinion they should be sub $50k ish...ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif