What fabric to use?

You all try it first. If it lasts a 100hrs.... 10....1......10sec....a what the hec, if you can make the fabric stick there while you turn around to have your coffee, I'll be all for it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... This is achieved by using any of the 'Polyester' fabrics, whether called 'Ceconite', 'Polyfibre' or 'Stitts' (they're basically all the same)....The miss-information is occurring when people start mentioning 'Dacron'....

Ceconite is Dacron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_fabric_covering

and you can buy the common Dacron from http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/peelply2.php

Well call me a "dope", but all this has been "stretched" all ways. Its time to "stick"to the facts, stand up to the"heat"and not "shrink"away from the job of covering.

• Like 1

Well call me a "dope", but all this has been "stretched" all ways. Its time to "stick"to the facts, stand up to the"heat"and not "shrink"away from the job of covering.

The entire fabric of aviation is at stake.

• Like 1

Dear o dear, I think this discusion has become "laced" with puns and wit. If it keeps up, someones going to get a "ribbing". If I "strut"around like this all the time I think I'll be in for "a hard landing", or become disorintated and"spin out of control".insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

I'm at a loss as to what to say next. I'm all puned out.I've decided to "elevate"myself to a higher position and see what transpires. I'm not trying to "side slip"the issue here, just "turn"to the side a bit.na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

I'm at a loss as to what to say next. I'm all puned out.I've decided to "elevate"myself to a higher position and see what transpires. I'm not trying to "side slip"the issue here, just "turn"to the side a bit.na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

You're on a "roll" Pete: you seem to have a "bank" of these puns.

Lucky I have a sense of humour, otherwise I could "fly off"in a fit of rage.

I have a "sinking "feeling my puns are getting a little weak. I'll have to "fuse"together my jumbled thoughts

I know the Neiuports are hard to fly, how does the fit of rage handle?

I wanted to go off on a Tangent once, but they didn't have a spare seat....

• Like 2

I know the Neiuports are hard to fly, how does the fit of rage handle?I wanted to go off on a Tangent once, but they didn't have a spare seat....

Here is some information about the Tangent plane (but you're right pylon, there is no spare seat):

I think by me posting the above 'fabricated' video 'unthreaded' this 'line' of posts on to another tangent altogether. I apologise for this bum 'steer' and I will try to navigate this 'thread' back to its 'roots' rather than leaving this merely a 'rudder'-less discussion.

So, Forumites, we had better get back on 'track' otherwise we will have to ask Ian to alter the 'heading' of this 'thread'.

But thinking up more puns is more challenging though.I think 80 kts is "on the right heading"though for getting one up on me.I've been a little "flighty"lately and have needed to be "proped"up by my better half. I have been prone to "flights"of fancy lately and it's time to "land myself back on solid ground".

045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif(am I good or what.....and don't say what!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well...... we've looped around this subject long enough and some of the puns stink enough you can smell them downwind. I might change my angle of attack on the subject and not get into a flap with all the info I have to read on the subject of covering. Seriously, The Hipec system is another one to look into. Has anyone tried this method of covering?

Guest Maj Millard

Negative, never tried the hypec. 'Mylar' and 'Tedlar' by the way were both clear type polyester films originally produced by 3M I think (or some other large global conglomerate...Ozzie would know ), for use on green houses. They were both cleverly used by the designer of the Lazair for wing and tail covering succesfully, and were adhered to the wing structure and ribs with double-sided tape. Mylar was the original, and Tedlar came out later as a tougher more UV resistant improvement. They gave a nice 'smooth' finish also, and I am proud to say that I have aviated successfully with both on Lazairs. The American Aerolight 'Falcon' also used this technology to cover their wings and cunard as I recall. I'm sure whoever the manufacturer was, would now in this day and age look negativly at it's use on aircraft ...................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif