What fabric to use?

Probably Dupont®I think the Gossamer Condor and Albatross used Mylar as well

Arthur.

You're right, pylon. Du Pont manufactures Mylar (http://www.dupontteijinfilms.com/).

It also makes the Tedlar that Maj wrote about (http://www2.dupont.com/Tedlar_PVF_Film/en_US/index.html).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Dupont of course. Mylar and especially Tedlar are very interesting products, and obviously have the strength and durability to be used on aircraft, as already demonstrated. Most of the aircraft that those products have been used on however, are in the slow/medium speed range. I would wonder how they would hold up under much higher speeds ?...........................................................................Maj..

.hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Yes Dupont of course. Mylar and especially Tedlar are very interesting products, and obviously have the strength and durability to be used on aircraft, as already demonstrated. Most of the aircraft that those products have been used on however, are in the slow/medium speed range. I would wonder how they would hold up under much higher speeds ?...........................................................................Maj...hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

I noticed that Boeing elected not to use those materials on the new Dreamliner. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Would be interesting to know where they may have intended to use them, and what their reason was for deciding against them ?................................................................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif