They still scare me little...

I stumbled across this old video after seeing a McCullough (yes, the chainsaw people) Gyroplane for sale in NZ.

This video puts up some really convincing arguments towards the usefulness of the 'Heliplane' and you can't argue- that's a pretty impressive takeoff!!

Nonetheless, without any disrespect to any gyro pilots out there, they worry me a little, although the technology is certainly improving!!

• Like 1

I stumbled across this old video after seeing a McCullough (yes, the chainsaw people) Gyroplane for sale in NZ.This video puts up some really convincing arguments towards the usefulness of the 'Heliplane' and you can't argue- that's a pretty impressive takeoff!!

Nonetheless, without any disrespect to any gyro pilots out there, they worry me a little, although the technology is certainly improving!!

I always wonder why autogyros/gyrocopters/gyroplanes have never become popular. There are plenty of helicopter manufacturers and fixed wing aeroplane manufacturers and large numbers of operators that use both types. Gyrocopters seem to be largely confined to recreational enthusiasts for some reason.

Yeah, I agree, it's a bit hard to understand, particularly when the concept is so old and they have been around for a long long time.

The likes of RAF2000's and that newer Eurpoean version appear fine, but the one in the video made me want one!