Crash at Idaho airshow

Gnarly Gnu

"Skilled pilot still manages to land upright" - B.S. Just bloody lucky. If he could have, I'm sure he would have levelled wings a lot earlier and done a glide approach. He was going fast enough still to have aileron control.

• Like 1

No need for a glide approach, in my opinion, if he had aborted the series of snaps when he had height he would've just flown away. I wonder if he thought about density altitude - 7,000+ ft.

• Like 1

Think the problem was the ground came up to meet the plane, think you may be right DP, disorientated i got dizzy watching it. Either way ground met plane and ground won, pilot survived that was a bonus.

Alf

• Like 1

From local newspaper at the time:

Asked about the cause of the crash, he said the plane lost thrust probably due to a problem with regulating the pitch of the propeller.

"Just guessing at this point, but I lost some thrust," he said. "The engine was still running but I believe it was a propeller issue. ...If I'd had another 300 to 400 feet I probably could have recovered it."

From another forum a few days later:

"OK guys. First TFF1 flown a hundred times have never done anything unpracticed at an airshow. It is a series of right shoulder rolls flown in an arcing shape. Prop went full corse pitch on the last one (oil pressure) suspecting that accumulator lost precharge at some time. Jim I was fully aware of my altitude. When thrust rolled back it was at 300 ft i lost all energy. Was able to stop and get wings back almost level and 3point attitude before impact. Dinged up ankle and a few scratches. If you are not wearing a helmet get one. No longer with Red Eagle Airsports. I will be more than happy to answer any questions as more info comes."

I will post more later - sure to be something in Sport Aerobatics magazine later in the year. I'll also watch the video again to see if I can hear the pitch change (noting there'll be some lag in the sound).

Accumulators normally fitted to props which go fine pitch if oil pressure is lost - has been the cause of some accidents as the engine doesn't survive it.

I wonder why he lost oil pressure in the first place. I thought they were common snap rolls but he said they were shoulder rolls so I should watch the video more closely.

Dpac,

So this guy is saying he lost thrust at 300ft and it took him 5 more barrel rolls to get the wings level, i find that a bit strange that it would take him 300ft to roll level.

That's just my personal opinion as i don't do aerobatics.

Maybe 30 ft he realised he was in deep do do's.

Alf

Guest pookemon
Was able to stop and get wings back almost level and 3point attitude before impact

Presumably an aerobatic pilots idea of "level" is different to mine. Looked to me like the "3 point"(s) were the two wing tips and the tip of the Horizontal Stabiliser...

Lucky, lucky, lucky...

If there was a loss of thrust ( partial/complete) and the plane was at that stage flick rolling, ( stalled) it probably would not have enough energy to recover from that height.( My suggestion). You need power /speed / height to provide the total energy needed. If you are lacking one, you need more of the other(s). Nev