scratch build

hey guys..

im pretty keen to build a plane from scratch im thinking a CH-701 or CH-750, being from the bush the STOL characteristics are ideal and it looks like a simple aircraft, to the best of my knowledge the Savannah doesn't come in a plans only format?

my question is, were is the best place to go for information? can you license a scratch build easily or is it a big headache? is this the sort of task some one with a well equipped workshop and good metal working skills can embark on?

They have fixed the problem now CC.

The low wings with bubble canopies certainly look good; I just don't like the chances of survival in a roll over though, or you might survive to be unable to extricate yourself from the aircraft, and if there is no one there, you are gone.

Go simple classic! Pietenpol Air Camper (2 seater) or Sky Scout (single seater). All wood construction, minimal welding, can use Subaru EA81, Rotax, Corvair. Fabric covering. High wing, solid built with a massive amount of website support!

My 10cents worth!...or you can just waste time sitting on here debating it while I go out to the garage and finish the control system.....

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

'Scratch-built' is generally a term used when a person designs (from scratch) a completely new aircraft, and proceeds to build a prototype. The term may have come from the habit back in the 20s and 30s, of designers (particulary in the US) drawing aircraft profile on hangar floors with chalk, and then building from those profiles, as opposed to actually producing drawn plans.

The methods of construction that you are proposing to use would be generally termed 'plans-built, or 'kit-built' as in the case with the Pietenpol or Zenith/ Savannah etc.The current state of the computerized factory-produced, complete kits, (Savannah in particular) is at a very advanced level indeed, and allows even first-time builders to produce a very good, and consistant product, in a relativly short period of time.

A first attempt at designing and 'scratch-building' an aircraft would generally take on average at least a couple of years, and may account for many more than that !!..Time better spent flying in my opinion, unless your very, very driven with the idea.

The 'scratch-built' original biplane in the attached photo took me at least four years to design and build, and another year to actually get into the air. There is of course no finer feeling of success or achievement,

P1260713.JPG.c82988e7661e97990c6f2f4e6b3f567f.JPG

when you do finally fly something like this........................................................................ Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

the CH-650 is a NICE looking plane, but probably a bit complex for a first attempt? they look like a great plane, seems a lot more people are building them now they fixed that problem. all

Go simple classic! Pietenpol Air Camper (2 seater) or Sky Scout (single seater). All wood construction, minimal welding, can use Subaru EA81, Rotax, Corvair. Fabric covering. High wing, solid built with a massive amount of website support!My 10cents worth!...or you can just waste time sitting on here debating it while I go out to the garage and finish the control system.....

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Scotty i work with aluminum, chromoly, and steel every day building off road race cars and buggys... so while thats easier for most i already have all the metal working tool right there!! and all aluminum means i can stay out side when i go on a trip?

sorry maj i will ammend that for you... AMATEUR HOURS use of terminology 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif in terms of the sav.. great plane but the idea of building from plans and not a kit is mainly the experience and i dont need $$ up front... if i decide its not for me i dont have a whole kit laying around.

in terms of complexity, as long as you take your time is it just a page by page process? building from plans that is?

having a CNC router is really going to help 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

• Like 1