Daylight savings - help.

Sorry folks, I've tried the interweb but can't understand what is said.

In as simple a English as possible, what is the way to know when DLS starts and ends?

I believe it is the first sat/sun of October to start and the First sat/sun of ...... April?

I am wanting to try and get a "formula" so my new clock can auto adjust for DLS in Sydney.

Sorry folks, I've tried the interweb but can't understand what is said.In as simple a English as possible, what is the way to know when DLS starts and ends?

I believe it is the first sat/sun of October to start and the First sat/sun of ...... April?

I am wanting to try and get a "formula" so my new clock can auto adjust for DLS in Sydney.

Hi FD this will help

2012/2013

Victoria's period of daylight saving will start at 2:00am on Sunday 7 October 2012. At 2:00am standard time (Eastern Standard Time) move clocks forward one hour to 3:00am summer time.

Victoria's period of daylight saving will end on Sunday 7 April 2013. At end of daylight saving period, move clock back one hour at 3:00am summer time to 2:00am standard time (Eastern Standard Time).

cheers Geoff

There is a mathematical formula which is quite complicated however very 'interesting'.

Because of the savings issue attached to daylight saving, a certain time interest is added each year depending on the Reserve Time Bank's current rate.

With a current rate for this year being 8%, this will add 4.8 minutes so to keep the cows happy, you really need to change your clocks by one hour and four point eight minutes. Simple really.

There is a mathematical formula which is quite complicated however very 'interesting'.Because of the savings issue attached to daylight saving, a certain time interest is added each year depending on the Reserve Time Bank's current rate.

With a current rate for this year being 8%, this will add 4.8 minutes so to keep the cows happy, you really need to change your clocks by one hour and four point eight minutes. Simple really.

Does that mean we will get 8% more milk.

Guest Howard Hughes

I don't think there is a formula, only gazetted days (similar to the way public holidays are managed) which may change for various reasons.

I know the weekend has changed a few times in my lifetime, including to accomodate sporting events/festivals.

Guest Andys@coffs

FD

Im not sure if there is a formulae behind it or not, what I do know is that on a seemingly regular basis computer OS manufacturers (SUN and Microsoft being the ones Im aware of) have to issue "patches" to account for politicians playing with the fringes. For example, in SA when the Sydney Olympics were on, Daylight saving started much earlier than norrmal, to the ovious annoyance of those bunnies, self included that had to catch Red Eyes to the eastern states and therefore seemingly were getting up when the party crowd were just setling down.

So, bottom line, even if there is a formula then be prepareed to manually adjust the outputs as they get played with from time to time. Furthermore, if going long distance allow for the states that dont play, I think QLD and WA from memory

Andy

For flying I just use GMT [or UTC as they call it now] and any politcics of a paticular state does not matterFrankM

A not unimportant point if you are PIC of an aircraft, and flying, using radio etc on a long trip.

Let's say an issue crops up and you have to tell ATC of your arrival time after the turn of the next hour, what figure are you going to give.

Guest Andys@coffs

Gents

All true with regard to GMT but at some stage of your life either prior or just after the flight you have to again transfer between local time and GMT. If you fly with any of the carriers across time zones you can see that even these "pro's" stuble and phaff about getting the local time correct.

FD, most GPS's have a GMT and local time display (you usually choose these from a whole swag of available data fields to display, perhaps that might be of use to you?

The ASA website that does first and last light definitions from meory provides the results in both GMT and local, GMT for those flight planning of course.

Andy

From Wikipedia:

On 12 April 2007, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, and the A.C.T. agreed to common beginning and ending dates for DST. Beginning in 2008, the start of DST in these states and in South Australia occurs on the first Sunday in October, and its end is on the first Sunday in April.

I'm not sure if this can be put in any simpler way.

Andys@coffs' date=' post: 229876, member: 94[/email']]So, bottom line, even if there is a formula then be prepareed to manually adjust the outputs as they get played with from time to time. Furthermore, if going long distance allow for the states that dont play, I think QLD and WA from memory

Andy

Nor do two of Australia's three territorities "do" daylight savings.