google maps showing airstrips

Guest nunans

Guest nunans

Have I lost my mind or have the little black lines representing all the bush strips been taken off google maps?

I can distinctly remember zooming up on country areas with google maps (in map mode not satelite) and seeing lots and lots of little black lines where the strips are, granted some may not be very obvious in an aircraft and maybe just a reminance of a track where a plane landed many years ago. But I'm sure I recognised the location of a few local ones in my area and pondered about a few others saying to myself "well I didn't know there was a strip there I wonder who's place that's on".

Now I can't see any of the strips on google maps and I'm thinking I might have just dreamt it all up.

Does anybody else know what i'm talking about or do I need to get on some meds??

Have I lost my mind or have the little black lines representing all the bush strips been taken off google maps?I can distinctly remember zooming up on country areas with google maps (in map mode not satelite) and seeing lots and lots of little black lines where the strips are, granted some may not be very obvious in an aircraft and maybe just a reminance of a track where a plane landed many years ago. But I'm sure I recognised the location of a few local ones in my area and pondered about a few others saying to myself "well I didn't know there was a strip there I wonder who's place that's on".

Now I can't see any of the strips on google maps and I'm thinking I might have just dreamt it all up.

Does anybody else know what i'm talking about or do I need to get on some meds??

I can confirm that there are no black lines on Google Maps where there are airstrips currently (I just had a look at the area in NZ where I live). However, I don't remember the black stripes being there in the first place.

looks like your right - i just checked the strips near my place and they arn't showing up. interesting that.

mind you, at least 2 of them wern't ever strips, according to the locals.

Guest nunans
They may of taken them off Google Maps. They seem to be on Google Earth though.Cheers

I'll have to check the google earth thing and see,

Guest nunans
gympie is still there

Yeah, when I mean strips, I'm talking about the little biddy private ag stip type thing not aerodromes or runways. My wife also remembers me looking and commenting on all the little black lines at the time and she backs me up so either they've taken them off or we both need the meds

Yeah, when I mean strips, I'm talking about the little biddy private ag stip type thing not aerodromes or runways. My wife also remembers me looking and commenting on all the little black lines at the time and she backs me up so either they've taken them off or we both need the meds

Don't reach for the pills just yet, nuns. It could be that Google has removed any change of being sued for suggesting some temporary strip is still serviceable years after the pic was taken. In my local area I have found a few farm strips on Google Earth. The images were taken years ago. Some of them are now head high in plains grass.

Guest nunans

yeah I've had a look on google earth and you can see any strips that where visible in the image at the time it was taken but they are hard to spot unless you know exactly where to look. The way I remember it was in google maps, I could easily spot the black lines on the map over a big area, and there were lots of strips (granted some of them probable weren't there in reality)

Some of the images displayed on Google must be pretty dated. If I zero in on my home it shows the one way strip in front of my home in a paddock of Canola. The last time that we has planted Canola in that paddock was 2003.

Given that some strips without proper attention can be markedly differerent in a short period of time, I would be vary of launching off into a strip without verifying its condition.

Last year we received an unseasonable 5 inches of rain in a week in December, and had a RFDS PC-12 land on our town airstrip with 6" scours on it, luckily without incident, because the responsible (??) entity were deficient in their inspection regime.

Google is a useful research tool, but is far from fallible in determining that the strip you want to lob into meets your needs.