Jabiru 3300

Just a quick question. Can anyone tell me the fuel burn of a Jabiru 3300 at various speeds. If you have it for a Sierra that would be great. A Jabiru 230 will do though. I am interested to know at 90 knots cruise against 110 knots. I will research the net but nothing better than first hand knowledge. Thanks John

The fuel burn moves with the power you pull. The highest rate I have noted in a J230 is 42 litres per hour at full throttle climbing at 90 kts through a density altitude of 2000 feet. This could be exceeded by running full throttle at a higher airspeed and thus higher RPM.

On mustering work the 230 was quite happy to poke along at 65 kts pulling 2000 to 2200 RPM. Fuel flow averaged over many hours was 10 litres per hour.

If you go to Jabirus website you can download technical manuals and pilots notes. Somewhere there will be a fuel flow chart. The J230 Pilots Notes would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

The Jab engine is best run at 2850 revs or above and the Sierra will fly faster than the Jab 230 at just about any revs setting.

Check with Kevin (KJFAB) my Son-in-law who has flown considerably more hours than I have especially over long distances

and at varying altitudes. He has flown also with a friend who has a Jab 230 whilst he was in the Morgan Sierra and so been able

to compare the two in exactly the same flying conditions, the Sierra always coming out in front performance wise.

Before Kevin obtained his Pilot Certificate we compared the two aircraft in question and although I really like the Jabs, the Sierra outperformed it.

Alan.

When I flew the Sierra back from Temora at Easter we were doing around 120 knots and the burn rate was on ave around 30 l per hour. At 90 knots it was around 22....

I find the fuel burn in the Sierra a bit high and costly for me, but you can cover lots more ground fast. I guess this is the balance. When you compare it to a 2200 jab flying at 90 - 100 knots at 12 a15 l per hour. I see it as a tad expensive. But gee it's a really nice plane to fly and I do like it.... If only I had the sort of money that I did not have to care about these things... Lucky my Brother in Law has one that we (family) use.....

I am happy with my SK jabiru as its all I can afford for a plastic fantastic. Great value for money... Just damm boring to look at, but cheap to run and still fast enough to go places. I did say once I would never buy one LOL..... Funny what happens when the price is really good... Those words were really hard to eat.

Mardy

Regards

Mardy

I have 3 options.

Sierra at around 70k ( not sure if GST applies )

Jab 170 ( 6314 ) 60k ( not sure if GST applies ) lots of hours. Basic with no GPS

Jab170 190 hrs immaculate 68k no GST leather interior and GPS

I really like the Sierra but can I justify an extra 17k ( if GST )

My wife and I want to do some major trips north.

Most flying will be within 1 hour to 2 hours from Gawler.

At the moment biggest problem is no hangar space at Gawler.

Oh well enjoying the research at the moment. Working hard to get my weight down at the moment. lOL

Compulsion

I just flew a Jab 170D back from Pt. Augsta to Townsville. Average 95/100kts TAS @ 15ltrs/hr

Ultimately your choise is up to you alone but the figures I quote are ACTUAL and not book figures - hope the info is useful in your decision processs.

I make no opinion about the type of aircraft or engine you select but if you go the Jab way then the figures I have quoted for a 170 or 230 are actual and not hearsay and over reasonable distances.

FrankM

l should get 17lts on a cruise with the Viking, but l dont beleive that so 20lts at around 125 knots.

Thats what l expect, hopefuly fact is 17lt at 130knts.

If it turns into 22lts at 11oknts l will be a little dissapointed.

But a lot of my deceissions were based on cost of running.

Viking uses Premium unleaded, its a Honda so wont require more than a service through its life.

Get my maintence ticket.

Renew the engine, buy a crate motor from my local Honda dealer.

So a saving on the purchase price may not be a ongoing saving.

regards Bruce

Thanks Frank. It is always good to get factual information. Did you buy the Jab in Port Augusta or was it a trip?

No - I already had my 230 but a mate purchased the 170 from Perth and arrange to pick it up half way. With a new licence he just wanted someone with a bit more experience with him for the first long distance Xcountry.

When I said I flew it back is not correct, I just sat there and agreed with his decisions.

FrankM

Not sure I would be happy "doing mustering work at 65knots" in my J230! Low revs = lean mixture and burnt or weakened valves. Always operate 2850+rpm for cool if not even EGTs. I concurr Franks comments re fuel burn/speed with J230.

Alan

• Like 1