Jabiru Service Bulletin JSB033-1 Piston Circlips Jabiru 2200 and 3300 Engines

Admin

I am in a syndacite that owns a J230D that has had major problems with our engine

The question needs to be asked: was the purchase of these circlips only a cost saving measure to ensure Rod Stiff could enjoy a more profitable retirement at our expense?

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy flying a Jab, but I have a major issue with their engine

It appears to me that Rod is only intereseted in a profit that enables him to live the life he desires and not in ensuring that our lives are safe

This is the only conclusion I can come to given that at Natfly this year, when questioned about the overheating problems with jab engines, his response was that they are tuned to Bundaberg weather and the weather in Melbourne was different.

WTF!!!

Does Rod think we are all idiots?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I am in a syndacite that owns a J230D that has had major problems with our engineThe question needs to be asked: was the purchase of these circlips only a cost saving measure to ensure Rod Stiff could enjoy a more profitable retirement at our expense?

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy flying a Jab, but I have a major issue with their engine

It appears to me that Rod is only intereseted in a profit that enables him to live the life he desires and not in ensuring that our lives are safe

This is the only conclusion I can come to given that at Natfly this year, when questioned about the overheating problems with jab engines, his response was that they are tuned to Bundaberg weather and the weather in Melbourne was different.

WTF!!!

He does appear to have a dry sense of humour. Perhaps his response was a reaction to yet another non constructive criticism by someone ranting emotionally.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Even the older circlips if installed properly would be OK. but better to replace them. This type of instruction is a pretty normal treatment of what is being addressed. There is no conspiracy here. It may be remenbered that the earlier pistons had round section circlips which should be looked out for in engines of unknown history, as yo can't (successfully) install the ""seeger" square section ones in them at all. Piston circlips are a critical item.

I found the ones supplied by Rotax for the 503-582 engines too soft and wouldn't use them. An experienced engine fitter/ mechanic should notice these things at time of fitment.

Jabiru are only doing what they are supposed to do here. The last check ( that they don't rotate freely after installation0 is the key, but if you don't quite know what you are looking for check it out with someone else. Nev

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

There is also a new maintenance manual now requiring 25 hrs oil & filter change interval.

A bit of intelligent and reasoned explanation for this would have been expected, sadly nothing forthcoming. I know the hydraulic lifters are more fussy with oil, what has that got to do with the solid lifters? I know some prefer to throw out the filters more often than normal, but what is the new guidance for filter inspection limits? I see very little debris @ 50 hrs, so cutting them @ 25 is not going to be a reliable indicator, the sample period is too small.

PS Rod doesnt think we are all idiots, he knows it because we kept on buying those engines.........

No sign of the rumoured Nikasil cylinders yet - should I wait for them?

Ralph

• Like 1

Are they supposed to be aluminium? They would have to modify the way the heads are retained. Nev

Yes Nev, They are cast aluminium and the cast heads are retained by four extended thrubolts/studs, so infact the cylinders are not bolted directly to the crankcase. The thrubolts/studs retain the lot.

So the studs pass right up through the heads as well. Full through bolted. Hope they are designed to expand, because the cylinders will. The only other motors I know with alloy barrells are flange mounted. ie Franklin and Rotax.. Hope it works. Having an aircooled motor does simplify things. Nev

I dont think there is a snowball's chance in hell of having nikasil/alloy barrels without thru' bolts. If chrome moly barrels crack and break what chance has alloy? They (barrels) would have to be so thick as to make any extra heat loss gained from having alloy barrels a negative....Going to thru bolts ( studs in c/case through to head) whilst absolutely bullet proof would make a complete redesign necessary. It's not going to happen......As an aside..... I take umbridge at the comment by KEENAVIATOR .( 6 above this) it's derogat0ry and uncalled for, a response I would expect, from someone with their head firmly in the sand

I dont think there is a snowball's chance in hell of having nikasil/alloy barrels without thru' bolts. If chrome moly barrels crack and break what chance has alloy? They (barrels) would have to be so thick as to make any extra heat loss gained from having alloy barrels a negative....Going to thru bolts ( studs in c/case through to head) whilst absolutely bullet proof would make a complete redesign necessary. It's not going to happen......As an aside..... I take umbridge at the comment by KEENAVIATOR .( 6 above this) it's derogat0ry and uncalled for, a response I would expect, from someone with their head firmly in the sand

Looks like I hit a nerve! Oh well.... 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

a cost saving measure to ensure Rod Stiff could enjoy a more profitable retirement at our expense?It appears to me that Rod is only intereseted in a profit that enables him to live the life he desires and not in ensuring that our lives are safe

WTF!!!

I quote from post *11 Geoffreywh

"As an aside..... I take umbridge at the comment by KEENAVIATOR .( 6 above this) it's derogat0ry and uncalled for, a response I would expect, from someone with their head firmly in the sand"

Huh??

Guest Escadrille
Looks like I hit a nerve! Oh well.... 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Laurie, Don't worry about it mate,there are plenty on this site that love nothing more than a bit of gratuitous "Bash the Aussie Jabiru" product. Note Geoff may be an import who flies a french aircraft and is a Vico snob.... He he..augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Don't you believe it.............. I'd LOVE a good reliable Jabiru 3300 instead of the overweight ancient 0-200 anchor I fly behind. Unfortunately no such thing exists . I saw on the VIKING website that not only have they got 80 ! orders for delivery in October 2012 @ $16,000 a pop (firewall forward package) but one is going into a Jabiru 430. smart bloke.

• Like 1

I am not being "nasty". Not at all..Where do you get that from? ................. I would LOVE to see Jabiru succeed beyond our wildest dreams, a Fantastic piece of kit that has some really unhappy shortcomings.... .. I will not use patriotism to condone an expensive product of inconsistant quality. .( I am an import but I've been here on and off since 1968, a lot longer than some of the blokes on this site have been alive) If it was Holden valves that were seizing or dropping in ect. It would be on "Today Tonight" before you could say HILLS HOIST. I don't knock a product because it's Australian, I'll rubbish it if it's rubbish! Not long ago I owned an Audi. what a bunch of rubbish that was....Was in the dealers workshop more than it was in my garage!....

• Agree 1

I am not being "nasty". Not at all..Where do you get that from? ................. I would LOVE to see Jabiru succeed beyond our wildest dreams, a Fantastic piece of kit that has some really unhappy shortcomings.... .. I will not use patriotism to condone an expensive product of inconsistant quality. .( I am an import but I've been here on and off since 1968, a lot longer than some of the blokes on this site have been alive) If it was Holden valves that were seizing or dropping in ect. It would be on "Today Tonight" before you could say HILLS HOIST. I don't knock a product because it's Australian, I'll rubbish it if it's rubbish! Not long ago I owned an Audi. what a bunch of rubbish that was....Was in the dealers workshop more than it was in my garage!....

I know I made a general comment, but I wasn't referring to you Geoffrey.

"As an aside..... I take umbridge at the comment by KEENAVIATOR .( 6 above this) it's derogat0ry and uncalled for, a response I would expect, from someone with their head firmly in the sandHuh??

"If you see a bomb disposal technician running, try to keep up with him."

• Like 1

Ok folks, let's get back on track. My qestion is simple. How many faulty clips have been sent out for rebuilds and repairs that would not show up in the service bulletin listing?? Does Jabiru have any inventory control to verify other faulty clips shipped?

• Caution 1