My Little Diamond

Guest danda

Guest danda

Well I have the Super Diamond up and flying and what a treat to fly.

I had advice from this one and that one and at the end I was becoming a bit worried.

A little different to taxi but nothing to hard to get used to however that first lift off was

The biggest of my life a little 503 cruising at 80kt and a dream to fly, it took me 3 attempts to land it but the landing was an smooth as can be (I wish all my landings could be that smooth) all in all it’s a great little aircraft and I love it.

Don

:big_grin:

Guest danda

No pictures yet however will post them as soon as I do, must fix the front wheel first "to slow and to slow"

Oh the pain of learning

Don

G'Day danda.

Congratulations on getting the diamond, I was just getting to enjoy it when Garry sold it.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

As for keeping the nosewheel slow, I found that the Diamond will do what I call dynamic braking real well.

I found I could hold the nose off down to less than 20 kts, but I was flying just a little tail heavy.

As for the brakes, I showed Garry the prototype brakes for my single seater, and would show you here if I could figure out how to upload it. ;)

OK, I'm sure that icon wasn't there when I tried earlier, but here goes...:;)2:

Arthur. 20060602_125509_Pedals.jpg pylon500

Guest danda

Thanks Arthur that looks interesting but the truth is it was a flying error my posting should have read to slow to low and I landed on the grass caught by a small cross wind hit a hole and the rest is history as they say. Won't do the same thing again believe me.

Thanks for the idea

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Don!

As a newby to the group I am in awe of your achievment.

Not only would I love to see pictures but if you have the time I would realy like to read your account of that first flight from taxi out to touch down.

David

Guest danda

As is true with all things new the first time I sat in the cockpit there was an excitable sense of anticipation, everything is different to what you are used to.

Having had a rather painful experience on my javelin engine out 20ft from the ground not enough experience to rescue the situation a week in hospital and much pain later I was now sitting in the cockpit of this beautiful little red and white beast, I must admit that the question did cross my mind as I taxied down to the runway will it happen all over again.

Entering the runway sitting there for just a split second I almost turned back, heart in my mouth I applied the power and in no time flat I was easing back on the stick and believe me I was shaking all over, climbed to 1000ft made my first turn I was in love. Called down wind, then base all going well although my knuckles where white from my grip on the stick, the time came called final looking great except I was way to high called going around and applied full power and began to climb once again at this point I didn’t feel bad however having to abort my second attempt I began getting annoyed with myself I gave myself a good talking to as I climbed once again (your allowed to do that when you are by your self no one there to think you mad) this time I gave myself a longer decent the runway approached and my heart was pounding all looked great flared a little and I was on the ground. Let me tell you there’s no greater experience. I wish my last 2 landings where as smooth.

Don

Hi Don

It's taken me a while to catch this post but well done. Thank you for your analysis of the first flight. It is a great story and you related it well. I am sure all of us who have read the post felt like we were with you all the way. Safe Flying and keep having fun!

Best Regards

Edsmiley32.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danda

Hi Chris the direction while taxing is done by independent brakes not the rudder when you apply full power the rudders take over and its sweet it only takes you a very short time to get use to.

Don

;)

Guest danda

Hi Chris

The Cheeter is a great performance aircraft at a great price your friends will have a great time building and then flying.

Don

Guest micgrace

Hi

Could someone post the performance specs and current kit price for the diamond/cheetar? The kit price in the RAA mag seems very affordable.

Micgracesmiley1.gif

Guest Guest

I saw the Diamond at Narromine & was very Impressed although I would like the Cheetah after having a flight in it up there If ever the $$$$ Allow.

They are Great Aircraft & Top Value for Money Garry has a winner there.... Thrasher

Guest danda

Garry has is improving the Diamond to take a 80hp motor

believe it will cruse in the 120kts range not bad for $15,800 or $17,500 for the aerobatic model and Garry is a good bloke to deal with.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hi Danda

Do you know if Garry is going to do a aerobatic version of the Cheetah as well as the Diamond.

Guest danda

Hi Steve

Sorry I don't really know I do know they are becoming so popular that he is flat out preparing the kits already ordered.

Don

Guest Guest

Hi Don

Thats good news. I wonder how many kits he has sold now & what the split is....Super Diamond v Cheetah...

Garry has told me he is moving soon up north....

Did you buy the Super Diamond he had at Narromine...

Guest danda

Hi Steve

There are far more Cheetah's sold that Diamond as a lot of people want a 2 seater I call the Cheetah the Diamond's big brother, they are both great aircraft and will give anyone years of great fun.

I did buy the Diamond that was Narromine I'd need a lot of help building my own I have had my back broken in three places in a mining accident so physically you could say that I'm not up to scrach.

Don

Guest Guest

Hi Don

I missed having a flight in it on Saturday as the weather was overcast with low cloud, but I went with Gary in The Cheetah. On Sunday it was flying non stop so I missed out again...

Has it still got the 503 Rotax fitted..

Guest danda

Hi Steve

Yes mate it still has the 503 in it and goes great, I am a rather robust person 120kg in fact and it has 20kg of lead in the front and still cruses at 85 knts for my money that’s fantastic no matter how you stack the numbers.

So far the only problem I have had with it is learning to land it however I think I have the hang of it now speed being the answer, fly it in at between 65/70knts and as smooth as a baby’s bot.

Don