First flight in a low-wing!

.Evan.

Yesterday and today I worked at getting endorsed in the Ballarat Aero Club's Tecnam P2002 Sierra.

I was ready for it to be different to the Jabiru. I wasn't quite prepared to how different it would be from the Tecnam P92E!

Now that I've worked it out a little (basically I was trying to do far too much finessing on landing), I've found it to be a wonderful and fast aircraft to fly.

...And the bubble canopy makes me feel like a fighter pilot!!!! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Full story here if you wanna:

http://1000feetagl.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/back-in-tecnam-land-lowlands.html

• Like 3

I'm going through the same process from a J-170 to the P2002. I was really impressed overall with the Tecnam, but surprised how different it feels, everything is just a little different. I agree about the bubble canopy though :)

You guys! You fly a Sierra & think you know what a bubble canopy is. 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif085_blah_blah.gif.3d1174a819f59a095b31801fde5cee65.gif085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

Do a Google image search for Evektor Sportstar - now THAT is a bubble canopy!na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

I learned to fly in a Tecnam Golf ( the Sierra's slower brother), owned a Sportstar for a couple of years, then got the Dova Skylark - love low wings!

• Like 1

and when u hit the anthill in N Oz u remember why high wings are good!

Oops! Sounds like first-hand experience, CFI?

You guys! You fly a Sierra & think you know what a bubble canopy is. 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif085_blah_blah.gif.3d1174a819f59a095b31801fde5cee65.gif085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gifDo a Google image search for Evektor Sportstar - now THAT is a bubble canopy!na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

I learned to fly in a Tecnam Golf ( the Sierra's slower brother), owned a Sportstar for a couple of years, then got the Dova Skylark - love low wings!

Yes, yes. My Dad is flying one of those at the moment. He likes the little sun shades that you can pull across.

Evan,

Great aircraft the P2002 Sierra, I love it also, Nail the speed at 60 on final and she lands beautifully, approach at 65 and above she floats like a dream all the way down the runway.

Gotta watch the climbout too as she will soon zip past the flap extension speed in a blink.

Nicest plane I have flown so far, wouldn't mind one of them one day even though you can see the wing skins moving about in a bit of turbulence.

Damn shame they are so expensive.

Great aircraft though have one in a heartbeat, actually might buy one one day just gotta do a heap more days working in the desert lol.

Glad you like the experience as I did and as most have who have flown one.

Cheers

Alf

It is my experience that we like the high or low wing according to what we first flew. I started in Pipers and went to cessna before I soloed, but low wing is my preference, although the high wing is good for the Qld climate. The visibility from a low wing is worth putting up with the heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Pilot's certificate in a J160C but then built the Zodiac 601, a I real prefer the low wing planes. Now look at the Zodiac for a nice bubble canopy, but a hat is a must for all flying seasons. Now got 130 hours on her, a great plane.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I got my Pilot's certificate in a J160C but then built the Zodiac 601, a I real prefer the low wing planes. Now look at the Zodiac for a nice bubble canopy, but a hat is a must for all flying seasons. Now got 130 hours on her, a great plane.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

[quote

="manna, post: 243539, member: 870]I got my Pilot's certificate in a J160C but then built the Zodiac 601, a I real prefer the low wing planes. Now look at the Zodiac for a nice bubble canopy, but a hat is a must for all flying seasons. Now got 130 hours on her, a great plane.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• [quote

=manna, post: 243539, member: 870]I got my Pilot's certificate in a J160C but then built the Zodiac 601, a I real prefer the low wing planes. Now look at the Zodiac for a nice bubble canopy, but a hat is a must for all flying seasons. Now got 130 hours on her, a great plane.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Dont need a hat....... anymore....Great plane .....[ATTACH=full]19464[/ATTACH]

PA110029.JPG.c7d84d290743ad0f71411b857410f962.JPG

• Like 1

It is my experience that we like the high or low wing according to what we first flew. I started in Pipers and went to cessna before I soloed, but low wing is my preference, although the high wing is good for the Qld climate. The visibility from a low wing is worth putting up with the heat.

Agree 100% Did some circuits today in a 172 (usually fly pa28's) and can't get over how many subtle differences there is. Low wing is my preference, but I think flying different types will make a better pilot....I hope!

Hi GwafI like the Canopy, is that painted or Palstic film?

Yes I tried with carbon fibre film but very hard to get an acceptable result because of the shape of the canopy so in the end i painted it with four coats of acrylic paint , very easy and a neat finish

I'm flying my Minicab after learning in a C150 and Gazelle and love the difference, but also like the view you get in a highwing.

I'd prefer a highwing as a taildragger, too, as you are better able to judge landings when you're on the flare.

I still love my little low winger and will be sad to see her go.

- boingk

At the risk of going Off topic what are the stats on the mini-cab? I saw one in the members market for the first time last month, and couldn't find much on them.

I've had a couple good flights now in the Tecnam, and I'm finding it a very nice progression from the Jab. Handles cross winds amazingly and nice to fly, and electric trim takes some getting used to, but it is a top aircraft.

Not a worry shu77, so long as no-one else minds.

They're a wooden-framed craft with cabled controls and a tractor engine, usually either a Continental A65 or C85. You need to be wary if a C85 is fitted as they will allow cruise speeds over max stated cruise and approaching or over the design VNE of 105 knots. Mine cruises along nicely at about 80 knots solo in calm air and climbs at around 600fpm. Performance is comparable to a Cessna 150 if two-up (ie not a rocketship) and it much prefers solo.

Fuel burn is 15~16lph and is in a slab 65L tank on the firewall. Seating is roomier than a C150 and has good legroom. Headheight is marginal if you're over 6'3" - I fit fine but you wouldn't want to be taller!

Landing is a doddle once you're used to it - set 1300~1500rpm and 1st stage flaps for base @ 60kt, then 50~55kt on final with 2nd stage of flap. Get the cowl level to flare for landing and set idle power. Sink to ground, roll out on those nice cushy 6.00x6.5 tyres. Stall is 36kt clean or 30kt with full flap.

Only thing I'd ping it on is that mine seems to not want to start or run in ground attitude with 25 litres or less in the tank, so do not run minimum fueling and always fill to the brim. I would suggest a minimum takeoff fill of 35 litres to be on the safe side. It is also sensetive in pitch, but thats not a problem if you're aware of it or used to it.

Overall I really like her, and its a shame to have to sell.

Cheers - boingk