Reno 2012

fly_tornado

It was pretty intense moment when GG headed towards the grand stands, everyone freaked out at the same time because it looked like he was going into the stands.

I was way too close, the boil off system fitted to galloping ghost probably saved a few hundred people. If you look @ the footage you see a huge plume heading back to the crowd, that's the fluid they used.

I ended up covered in the stuff. Real nightmare stuff

Guest Maj Millard

Yes that's me with old Bob, the name tag on his left side says R.A 'Bob' Hoover. Very serious skygod energies are being pulsed into my right shoulder !!!!...hence the smile !..................................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I still dont like the aircraft that was never designed for those speeds, being pushed. Pushing the flight envelope of aircraft is going always end in tears one way or another If pushed beyond the designers figures. The speeds they are doing are the realms of full flying tails with Hydraulics. No room at all for mistakes or minor malfunctions.

PS- which ww2 fighter that was american made had 5 wing spars ? A pilot would black out before ripping the wings off it. That aircraft I have not seen at reno.Too slow with parasite drag probably to be made into a racer.But used in multiple countries.Australia included.

Its only the last few years that the planes have started doing over 450mph laps which is within performance envelope. These planes are designed to perform fully loaded with guns, ammunition, bombs, fuel tanks, armor plating, old school radios. they strip a ton of weight and maintain less than 3Gs. the extra speed really only stresses the engines