Light Aircraft down at Pinnaroo

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Wonder if thats a miss print (Pinaroo) and they mean Pinnaroo?My son and I were flying local here at the same time was nice flying weather.theres only 1 plane at Pinnaroo its a decathlon,Theres Trever in his 701 whome was here couple of days ago with a private stip but no one else in pinnaroo,theres parilla patatoes cessna at parilla then a heap of boys at lamaroo..hope to get some more info on the plane and pilot..

Wonder if thats a miss print (Pinaroo) and they mean Pinnaroo?My son and I were flying local here at the same time was nice flying weather.theres only 1 plane at Pinnaroo its a decathlon,Theres Trever in his 701 whome was here couple of days ago with a private stip but no one else in pinnaroo,theres parilla patatoes cessna at parilla then a heap of boys at lamaroo..hope to get some more info on the plane and pilot..

yep pinnaroo,but no further info yet

Hi, my name is Rosita Lloyde, wife of David Lloyde. Our Karatoo went down on September 15th, something to do with it not getting fuel through the line to the engine. Landed in canola crop, skidded and flipped over. David the pilot was uninjured, I sustained facial injuries, broken nose, shock etc. Flown to RAH. Home again. Very frightening experience. David is president of Southern Mallee Flying Club. He said the plane is restorable, although I won't be going up in it.
  • Like 1

Sorry to here that Rosita, hope you heal well and fast. I am glad that the outcome was minor. I am sure David would have kept it upright except for those bloody holes in the crop.

Try and pluck up the courage to go up again if you can as soon as possible and get him to show you some good glide approaches to restore your confidence.

Regards

• Like 3

Sorry to here that Rosita, hope you heal well and fast. I am glad that the outcome was minor. I am sure David would have kept it upright except for those bloody holes in the crop.Try and pluck up the courage to go up again if you can as soon as possible and get him to show you some good glide approaches to restore your confidence.

Regards

David did a great job with landing the plane. My facial laceration is pretty ugly, so hope it fades! David is still confident about flying again, but I would prefer he got rid of the Karatoo and purchased something that is capable of landing at slower speed. If we hadnt nosed over, no injuries would have occured, so probably the terrain surface was a causative factor in flipping. BTW I am glad I can now talk to some other flyers about it! Will help with psychological healing!
  • Like 7

Thank you for posting Rosita, it's very brave of you. I am sorry it happened, but hey, you and David are still here, you're able to talk about it, and that's a good thing, right? As David Isaac has said, it'll be good for you, and your David, if you get back on the horse as soon as you can. A wife who will go up with her husband is way too valuable a person to not be encouraged to have another go. I mean to say: if David had the bad luck to roll the car, would you not get back into his car with him? Of course you would. And it can be proven statistically, aircraft are far safer than cars.

063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi, my name is Rosita Lloyde, wife of David Lloyde. Our Karatoo went down on September 15th, something to do with it not getting fuel through the line to the engine. Landed in canola crop, skidded and flipped over. David the pilot was uninjured, I sustained facial injuries, broken nose, shock etc. Flown to RAH. Home again. Very frightening experience. David is president of Southern Mallee Flying Club. He said the plane is restorable, although I won't be going up in it.

Hi Rosita,

very sorry to hear of this traumatic experience, and I like everyone am very glad to know that you are recovering and that your husband is unhurt. I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Peter

• Like 1

Rosita, thank you for posting your experience.The lack of noise at the business end of an aircraft is the pilots 'nightmare'. It sounds like David did well to arrive back on earth in a controllable/survivable position which is great.

That you were injured, my thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery.

( I reckon the 'nex' plane will have a 5 point harness for both occupants and....everyone wears a full face helmet!....something we all should think about.

I suggested to hubby that the cockpit be lined with a high density cushioning/lining. Also the idea of a helmet sits fine with me (wonder why???) I am wondering if there is anyway I can post the story of our experience in this site? I have photos too and think it would be an interesting read. Thanks for your support guys, really needing it at the moment as the "it really happened and wasn't a dream" blues have set in.

I suggested to hubby that the cockpit be lined with a high density cushioning/lining. Also the idea of a helmet sits fine with me (wonder why???) I am wondering if there is anyway I can post the story of our experience in this site? I have photos too and think it would be an interesting read. Thanks for your support guys, really needing it at the moment as the "it really happened and wasn't a dream" blues have set in.

Sorry that happened to you Rosita it is brave of you to talk about it, you could post details of the accident on this thread if you wanted to.

Rosita

You can start a new thread documenting your experience and post pictures with it.

This will most certainly help you in overcoming your blues.

The more you talk about it the better.

Sorry to here you received facial injuries but like Wayne says the positive thing is that you are both still here.

All the best with your recovery and hope to here you are back in the right hand front seat of an aircraft again soon.

Look forward to reading all about your experience and would be good to here if David can also determine the cause of the fuel starvation.

I think this info will help everyone.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

• Like 1

Our Karatoo went down on September 15th, Landed in canola crop, skidded and flipped over. Very frightening experience.I won't be going up in it.

Hello Rosita, It`s unfortunate that this occured to you but most of us who have flown many hours over many years, have experienced engine failure. For some of us it has been several, me included.

I truely believe that these days it is far more dangerous driving on our roads!

Of course! It`s your choice to fly again or not.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Thanks for posting Rosita, glad you and David are OK and I hope your injury heals soon.

I suggested to hubby that the cockpit be lined with a high density cushioning/lining.

My thoughts too, I think head / facial injuries are too common and I suspect many would be preventable with some thoughtful cabin design. Like what happened in automotive design a few decades ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for posting Rosita, glad you and David are OK and I hope your injury heals soon.

My thoughts too, I think head / facial injuries are too common and I suspect many would be preventable with some thoughtful cabin design. Like what happened in automotive design a few decades ago.

Thanks for all the comments guys. You are right, I think flying is safer than driving. Will post the story so you can all read it soon. Flying is an awesome past time, it's just the safety issues that are a concern. I had only just reached the stage of keeping my eyes open when taking off and landing, which always caused a jovial comment from hubby!
  • Like 2

Rosita, it might put some perspective on what happened to know that when the engine stops a pilot has been trained to follow a safety procedure starting with keeping the aircraft flying by getting into a glide. When he does that the risks are back to being reasonable because the aircraft can be slowed for a safe landing. The next step is to find an open space, and that further reduces the risk to probably a worst case of broken bones. The third factor is if the pilot steers around any obstacles but something trips the aircraft up and it noses over.

In your case, your husband did everything right; his training ensured there was no serious crash, even the Canola was a good choice because it slowed the aircraft down, so it was the equivalent of maybe a car accident in town.

I'm not minimising that you copped it in the face, and the laceration was so bad, but I hope reading this will show you that the whole thing was virtually a manageable situation. I don't think his focus will go off the condition of fuel lines for a long time.

Rosita, it might put some perspective on what happened to know that when the engine stops a pilot has been trained to follow a safety procedure starting with keeping the aircraft flying by getting into a glide. When he does that the risks are back to being reasonable because the aircraft can be slowed for a safe landing. The next step is to find an open space, and that further reduces the risk to probably a worst case of broken bones. The third factor is if the pilot steers around any obstacles but something trips the aircraft up and it noses over.In your case, your husband did everything right; his training ensured there was no serious crash, even the Canola was a good choice because it slowed the aircraft down, so it was the equivalent of maybe a car accident in town.

I'm not minimising that you copped it in the face, and the laceration was so bad, but I hope reading this will show you that the whole thing was virtually a manageable situation. I don't think his focus will go off the condition of fuel lines for a long time.

How did you decide it was the fuel lines? Rosita said it had soothing to do with fuel getting to the engine! Blockage in the tank, blocked filter,, fuel pump, carb problems?. I am sure her partner was just as diligent with his aircraft as he was with dealing with this terrible situation.. Yes many lessons are learnt from others, but often at a price. And often speculation can smear the facts and no real lesson is learnt at all. Best part of this story is that all inboard are safe and well.

Rosita, it might put some perspective on what happened to know that when the engine stops a pilot has been trained to follow a safety procedure starting with keeping the aircraft flying by getting into a glide. When he does that the risks are back to being reasonable because the aircraft can be slowed for a safe landing. The next step is to find an open space, and that further reduces the risk to probably a worst case of broken bones. The third factor is if the pilot steers around any obstacles but something trips the aircraft up and it noses over.In your case, your husband did everything right; his training ensured there was no serious crash, even the Canola was a good choice because it slowed the aircraft down, so it was the equivalent of maybe a car accident in town.

I agree! The more I think about it, the more I realise that Davids training and actions were all spot on and yes, it was equivalent to a car accident. All in all a good outcome. Scars fade with time. Thanks for that, the perspective was appreciated.

• Caution 1

Thanks for all the comments guys. You are right, I think flying is safer than driving. Will post the story so you can all read it soon. Flying is an awesome past time, it's just the safety issues that are a concern. I had only just reached the stage of keeping my eyes open when taking off and landing, which always caused a jovial comment from hubby!

My Dad, who was one hell of an airman, used to say it was important that his passengers kept their eyes open, Rosita. He reckoned he didn't know when to flare for landing until he heard them suck their teeth... He also had a sign made up that he hung in his study. The sign said,

"Flying is the second most exciting thing known to man. Landing is the first."

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

My Dad, who was one hell of an airman, used to say it was important that his passengers kept their eyes open, Rosita. He reckoned he didn't know when to flare for landing until he heard them suck their teeth... He also had a sign made up that he hung in his study. The sign said,"Flying is the second most exciting thing known to man. Landing is the first."

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

LOL - love it. Thanks Wayne!
  • Like 2

Hi Rosita

My regards to David and thanks for posting the event.

I do hope that you can muster up the courage to fly with David again, it would be great for you both.

Lesson is don't fly near canola or have some height to avoid. This crop is very dense, a bit like landing on water I reckon.

Regards and cheers

Phil.