HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR HEADSETS?

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Steve,

Thought you might like to peruse two articles on headsets which I came across in my research....The first is a tutorial found on theLIGHTSPEED website....click on tutorial then ANR 201 entitled 'The quest for maximum quiet - Passive vrs. Active'

Toward the end of this article , passiveseems to berecommended for high noise environments rather than ANR.

The second article is an independent evaluation ofa passive headset with 28.5 dB NRR (currently priced at $ US159.00)....the lightspeedQ Solo. This review can be found on

www.avionicswest.com/articles/solo.htm They get a good write up for passive only and thewell established suppliers stock them.

I guess it depends on your budget.

Regards

JL

Guest Juliette Lima

Hello thosewishing to know the outcome of the TELEX Stratus-50D Digital headset.....SomeVERYGOOD news,and some NOT SOGOOD news.

I have just returned from a few hours flying in the Hunter Valley and have, for the first time, had the experience of the Telex Stratus 50-D.

The total noise reduction is outstanding....

Starting with passive only, the noise reduction is considerably better than my existing passive headset....Adding ANR changes engine tone and further reduces noise unlike anything experienced to date...including my ANR headsets which whilst not the best around,are considered 'pretty good'.

Simply put ,today was the first time I have been able to forget about engine and prop.noise and simply enjoy flying....remembering I have an open cockpit aircraft with a pusher engine and a partially open canopy

on the sides, which 'funnels' noise similar to cupping hands behind my ears, in short an extremely noisy environment. Add to this a hearing disability which reduces receptive hearing withANY background noise..

thus my fetish for 'ultimate quiet'.

Communications with the Stratus are significantly improved both in incoming calls and in reports of my transmissions....This from a ground station set up to monitor transmissions.."All your calls reading 5, with the best clarity of all aircraft transmitting in the area."...(about nine seperate aircraft here today.)

Now for the NOT SO GOOD news....A considerable amount of noise is entering through the mike and into the earcups. Covering the mikewith a mike muffreduced noise only marginally.Fortunately I am set up with a mike isolation switch,and when that is turned on, that is when the mike is off.....BLISS.

The next step is to bypass the intercom (possibly incompatible) andhook up directly to the Icom A200 radio....If this works,perhaps a new intercom, if not, then a push to intercom setup will have tosuffice. Even with this minor inconvenience ,the significantly improved noise attenuation will will extremely beneficial. I will also communicate with technical at Telex for their feedback on the mike issue.

Isuspect the Telex Stratus 50-D would be stunning in a closed cockpit

and there is ample evidence to support this proposition...including from aerobatic pilots in the US....From my perspectivein my high noise situation, I still have a mike noise issue to sort out, but the investment in the Telex Stratus (and it is considerable)has already paid dividends with substantially reduced noise ,and thus,increased pleasure and safety.

More later ifanyimprovements are achieved

Regards

JL

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Dave,

Not as yet, still try ing to determine why the engine/prop noise is feeding through the earcups....There is a mike gain adjustment which might help.

When researching, I was advised that the cellphone and audio input could be setup before take-off, eliminating the need to re-configure cords and equipment in flight.

This is probably not a priority for me ,I enjoy looking too much.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Regards JL

P.S. I forgot to mention the headset is quite comfortable and I have set them up in a wool lined leather helmet.

Guest Guest

Hi JL

Thanks for the report, they sound like they are well worth the $$$$

Is there a special cord for the Mobile & MP3 player or do they come with them...

Also had a look at the DC X11 headset no pricing in Aust available till delivery Thrasher

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Steve,

The main cable from the headset has a batterybox (4 AA's) about 1.3 metres from the headset. A further 1.3 metres along the cable and just before the lead splits, there is a small switch box for mobile and audio. Looking at the setup and reading instructions, these can be used simultaneously. The switch box is 60mm x 20mm and also has a switch for mono/stereo operation. There are two additional leads supplied with the switch box which presumably connect phone or audio. These appear to attach to the side of the switch box.

I doubt I will use either of these options...something to do with looking at scenery and solitude !!!

Iwill post on any subsequent info.in relationto the mike gain adjustment or mike shielding.

Regards

JL

Steve/Thrasher

It looks like the DC X11's are being quoted here in Oz at between $1295 and $1400.

They must think that they are somewhere near Bose in comfort and performance to be asking such a price.

Regards Geoff

Guest Guest

Skylines in Melbourne were waiting on stock for priceing. Are they available yet if so from where...

I am still doing my homework on Headsets & looking at all options....Today one of the guys at the club was saying as good as the Bose were they do chew through the batteries & to be aware that some don't work too well when the batteries are flat in non ANR mode... Thrasher

Steve,

I've been quoted by 2 groups and they are saying 3rd or 4th week of August for stock ... but have also been told that the 1st shipment is now almost all spoken for by advanced orders.

Did any ofthe blokes from our Forum who went to, or are in, Oshkosh get a chance to try the X11's and what did/do they look and feel like?

Regards Geoff

Hi Guys

I too am hoping that someone hastried the DC X11at OshKosh where theywere due for release.

http://www.davidclark.com/X11/index.htmlhttp://www.davidclark.com/X11/faq.html

The price seems to range from US$799.00 - US$865.00 Use a currency converter to checkAUS $. http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

The AVSHOPhttp://www.avshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6944is a sample of the cost range in the USA...But dont forget the freight component ect...! And just perhaps consider looking after an Australian Dealer!

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

Hi All

I am looking into being a distributer of them here in AUS at a very low margin price but will let you know more when I return from holidays

Guest Juliette Lima

Hello all,

The moreI search for the 'ultimate quiet'the more it becomes apparent that the most important requirement for good ANR headset performance,particularly in a high noise aircraft, is to start with effective passive protection ,preferably a minimum of 24db NRR.

Some headsets have great ANR (even well marketed expensive brands)andjust adequate passive capabilities(12-20 db), whilst some manufacturers endeavour to maintain good passive qualities prior to adding the benefits of ANR.

For a bit of fun ..and education.. search for Sporty's headset wizard and once found, dont set any criteria ,just press search for the entire range of headsets with specs. available from the supplier.

Ian's proposal sounds great .... good for us...lot of work for him.

best wishes.

JL

• 2 weeks later...

AT the risk of going over old ground, has anyone got/used a set of Flightcom Denali's and could you tell me the pro's & con's

Thanks in advance

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jake,

Can you give us a bit more info on the DIY option of adding the ANR modules to your existing headsets?

Where did you get the kit and are you happy with the results?

Thanks.

regards BigPete

Hi Peter

These are the units I use:

http://www.headsetsinc.com/anr_upgrade.htm I'd also get the Auto battery shutoff option ($us10 changeover from the standard type). They fit 95+% ofheadsets and are excellent value for money. Mine have been working for the last 7 years without any probs.

I have modified several new Sigtronics headsets with the cost (all up including labour and headset) at half the price of a Bose unit - IMO the Bose doesn't give twice the performance.

If desired you can buy a voltage converter (12 to 9 volt, or make one) and power it from the planes electrical system bysimply unplugging the battery pack and use a DC power plug in the panel.

Purchase direct or from Aircraft Spruce.

cheers, jake;).gif

Folks,

Great discussion. I too have been searching and testing for over 12 months. Note that my needs are somewhat different as we commit expedition triking that has us on legs of 5 hours plus with the wind in our teeth.

I have just completed a trial of the Clarity Aloft headsets designed and marketed by a bunch of audioligists at a small company in Minnesotta called Aloft Technologies. The headsets are cupless and emply aural transducers based upon the CEP (complete ear protection) technology developed by the US Military Air Corps in response to many cases of industrial noise damage, especially in helicopters.

My needs required increased comfort, reduced noise levels and the ability to fit a comfortable touring helmet (have you seen the bulky Communica-type trike helmets that near strangle you when you look around?).

I was rather sceptical initially and hence ordered a single set to trial. The guys at aloft agreed to a 30-day money back no questions asked policy - better than I have found here in Oz with more respectable aviation outfits that will not look at you once you have paid your hard-earned dollars over.

One of the key discomforts for us was the pressure exerted by conventional earcups led to ache on our jawbones - this normally sets in after the first hour and can leave one distracted with headaches.

The headset basically employs the concept of an industrial ear defender with a transducer located on the back end of a disposable foam earpiece. The mic is brilliant to say the least with a hi-fi mic employed that gives great sound clarity. The headset is really compact and we found that it sits comfortably - after the first couple of minutes, we actually forget they are there.

We found that the noise attenuation is unsurpassed in an open cockpit trike shod with a Rotax 912ULS donk behind the passenger. We can now conduct a civilised conversation on our flight cell hands free kit without fail.

Another useful addition was the MP3 jack on the volume box that allows you to pipe your favourite tunes in stereo whilst sitting at cruise.

As soon as I got to Oshlosh in July, I picked up a second set for my passengers.

Cost: A set mailed from supplier to doorstep on US Post tracking service set me back around $770 with a full set of 24 pairs of spare disposable ear pieces.

Try the following websites for info (I included some of my references regarding CEP for info as well):

http://www.clarityaloft.com/index.htm

http://www.cep-usa.com/id35.htm

Remember, purchasing a headset is like purchasing a mattress - choose the one that fits you the best.

Regards

Guest Vigilant

This is a good topic, however what are peoples opinions of the lower and middle price range headsets? I would dearly love to have a set of Bose, however that is impractical at this stage and eventually I will need a second set so an original purchase could serve as a spare for passengers etc.

For example Altronic, the cheaper David Clarks even to the sets that are listed on Ebay etc and second hand sets????

Most people will say their headset (or anything else they've chosen) is the best - after all who's into self criticism.

Headsets, radios and intercoms (any audio device) is one area where you mostly get what you paid for - "cheap" isn't the way to go especially with headsets.

The early Altronics (David Clark clone) had a serious problem with impedance mismatch causing them on occasions to pull down the phones audio to a very low level, low enough to be unable to hear with the engine running. Lightspeed units are made in China with the early units giving enough problems that it became a lottery as to whether you got a good one or not.

Good luck with the search.

Hi All

I saw an interesting posterad for a new model David Clarke set of headphones & mike thathad ANR and sockets built in for mobile phone use and MP3 devices. I think it was due in Australia around Nov or Dec 2006.

I don't have any more details than that except the poster wason the front glass door of Adams Aviation Supply Co Pty Ltd at Bankstown Airport.

Fernando Villalon is the General Manager, Flight Instrutor & Charter Pilotthere and his email address is

[email protected]

web site: www.adamaviation.com(scans of their catalogue)

They also have a CD available

Tel +61 (0)2 9790 7199

Fax +61 (0)2 9790 3189

Mob: 0404 379 150

[email protected]

Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelorus32

This is a great thread. Noticed Perry's comments about the Clarity Aloft "ear defenders".

Accepting that these guys are audiologists I have a query about the headsets: Lots of the work on industrial deafness that I recall from an earlier life highlighted that there were two modes of sound transmission. One was via the ear canal and the tympanic membrane - the normal way we hear. The other was via the solid bones surrounding the ear and in particular the area just aft of the ear - the lump of bone that you can feel.

The advice then was that ear plugs were only part of the solution to industrial deafness and on their own were good but insufficient.

This particular advice was aimed at aerial topdressing pilots in NZ - mainly flying Fletchers. Their standard ear protection was to use mouldable in-ear plugs followed by a Flightsound helmet (who needs a radio). The problem was that some of them wanted to dispense with the helmet - hot and heavy. They were strongly urged not to.

I don't know what the current thinking is but it may be worth seeking some advice - deafness is a very lonely place to be!!

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the additional advice here. I am unable to add to your concerns here, however, in my line of aviation an enclosed helmet is essential attire and today I just tested a new helmet on the market - Nolan N42. I found even better attenuation and perhaps your comments are founded in the additional comfort provided by a fully enslosed touring helmet.

Regards

Perry

Guest AusDarren

When I was looking at Headsets (about 10 years ago), I took the Advice of Phil Ainsworth at Jabiru, and he recomended the Flightcom Blackhawk 5DX, as being the best choice for Composite aircraft, Apparantly the lack of an all metal body has an impact.

He thought the people at Flightcom had the best handle on it.

I went ahead and bought the 5DX which I am very happy with.

Regards,

Darren