Lapsed PPL wanting to get back flying

phonetic

Had PPL since 1993, not flown since 2000, wanting to get back into flying..looking to get a RAA pilot certificate, as a retirement project build a 2 seat light sport aircraft :)

Regards

Frank

A PPL is valid with a class 2 medical and biannual flight test, Im looking at RAA due to the lower cost, GA is very $$$, but I might look at the new CASA PPL with rec medical LSA catorgory aircraft (under 650Kg MTOW) if I do 51% experemental amature build, I can do my own 100 hour service..still have the flying bug just want to go gowm a cheaper way..dont like the idea of hiring a Cessna 172 at $200 per hour.

Frank

I'm pretty sure the following applies, do a medical and a BFR to get your PPL back once you do that join RAA do a conversion (5 hrs min) and you are able to carry over all endorsements (nav, constant speed, retractable etc)

Welcome Frank

I'm in exactly the same situation, this site is great and the people are very friendly with heaps of good advice. Plenty of builders on here too.

I don't think you need to "reactivate" your PPL to get an RAA licence, though there are a few cfi's on here who I am sure can chime in and give you the right answer

I don't think you need to "reactivate" your PPL to get an RAA licence, though there are a few cfi's on here who I am sure can chime in and give you the right answer

DM

You are correct but if you do you are able to carry over your previous quals, it may be cheeper in the long run than doing it all through RAA

right.. i just meant more that it is not like its a "starting all over" situation, probably just didn't express it too well

rg - love that VANS... though i wouldn't turn down one of those Skyranger or Nynja's either

Hi Frank & a very big welcome to Recreational Flying

I am in a similar boat (non current PPL) and have been investigating a return to the skies through the RAA chanels for exactly the same reasons. It's a real and exciting prospect with a focus on affordable flying for fun. I have received some wonderful advice in these forums, joined our local Aero Club, met with some of the committe & members (including our FI, Graham) and am working on a plan that fits in all round with myself/family, club & Graham.

My understanding to date is that some aspects of your PPL will carry over (RPL) and should attribute to some savings. To be competent is the milestone and that can only be assessed through refreshesher training and consultation with your nominated training organisation/CFI. This is of course, in addition to any mandatory minimum conversion training.

I too, still have a lot to learn and am taking a very conservative approach with intentions of concentrating on ground schooling in the interim. Primarily brushing up on any changes with human factors and refreshers on BAK & flight planning/navs.

We've waited this long to get back up in the air, a little longer spent wisely, will do more good than harm. I know I would rather spend a little more time getting off the ground and having a little more time to come back down again rather than rushing to get up and coming down too quickly 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I wish you the very best for the exciting times ahead and can only envy you for the prospect of building/owning your own flying machine.

Regards

Roy

Sorry, typing to quickly myself. Meant to say I think prior experience/endorsements can be accepted from the PPL regardless of whether it is current or not. But as in the above post from Roy what it will take to get competent again is a whole other question for your training organisation. I'm going through all the theory again and best of all that part is free - it just needs some effort from the grey matter. Best of Luck.

Frank:

If you intend to build, you'll probably want to be flying and keeping your skills sharp while you're doing that. That means hiring airplanes, unless you've got a friend who will lend. To hire an aircraft you'll most likely get one from a flying school and before they'll let you rent one, they'll want to check you out. What I'm saying is that it will be good for you to do some training with a school to learn their particular ways and establish a relationship with them and their instructors.

+1 what others have been saying about people helping on the forums. I probably spend more time on these forums than is good for me, but I get a lot of info here.

FrankI'm pretty sure the following applies, do a medical and a BFR to get your PPL back once you do that join RAA do a conversion (5 hrs min) and you are able to carry over all endorsements (nav, constant speed, retractable etc)

No minimum if you only want HP licence. Still have to satisfy a RAA CFI that you are capable and current - just no min time.

I wouldn't have thought a BRF and medical were relevant but ask a current CFI

FrankM