Asic Card holder + lanyard

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Just got my ASIC card. Took 12 weeks. Had some delays due to ID copynot correct for some strange reason, however have got it. Not bad.

Guest Guest

I applied for mine through CASA and got the witness to signature at the local cop shop.

Strangely, looking at my credit card, I am yet to be charged for it yet...

I saw no benefit in applying through RA-Aus at the time and I guess the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Until I need it (or they realise that it's a waste of time), I was going to hold off till about 6 to 8 months later, then apply.

This way I don't have to que up with the other 25,000 that need to get theirs renewed in 2 years time. :ah_oh: 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Arthur.

Guest Guest

I'll quit aviation when I have to hang a silly badge around neck or on my arm when I'm working on my plane in the hangar!!!

I reckon a 'barcode' tattooed across the forehead or the more discete 'chip' under the skin behind the left ear would be more secure than an ASIC.;).gif

Even though the card is not a PASS, and is for individual identification only, they areunfortunately in practice, accepted as a 'pass'.smiley19.gif

Any terrorist worth his/her salt would have access to an acceptable, forged ASIC.smiley15.gif

Bruce

Guest danda

'barcode' tattooed across the forehead have been used in South Africa some years ago Micro chips are being used in the United States by paranoid parents to keep track of their children so nothing is imposiable here in Australia we do tend to follow the States on everything.

Don

smiley36.gif

We have to use ID cards all the time at work.. but mostly they dangle in patients faces, so a lot of staff simply use sticky tape as a sort of "tie clasp". Really we use them cos the doors to various departments use the proximity chip in the card..

Some others have superglued a badge pin to the back, and wear it as a brooch. Me, I find them a right royal pain in the backside and just stick the thing in my pocket.

Doing that airside with an ASIC would not score you any brownie points... *imagine the scene; High Noon..as Air Marshall Dillon is drawing for his Glock 9mm as you are drawing for your ASIC..* ;)4.gif

Ben

Actually got asked about ASIC while working on an aircraft, not in hangar, but on Apron of one of our GAAP airports - had tucked it under my shirt to stop it giving me the craps. The 'jobsworth' was reasonable about it, but I have heard of many that are not.

Guest Guest

I'd be interested to know who would be out asking for the display of your ASIC and if in fact an RPT flight was scheduled. For example at Moorabbin (GAAP)and Essendon, an ASIC is not required on the airfield unless you are in the blue area which in terms of the size of the airport is absolutely tiny.

I question the person's power of authority to even ask you for it in the first place.

I was asked by a Protective Services offer at my local field 10 minutes before the C Games opening ceremony as I entered my aircraft to taxi it and I told them that their powers of authority did not require me to produce any form of identification. The look on their faces had to be seen to be believed, however I just taxiied off. Protective services are below the level of State Police and have little power; they just like to walk around airports with their German Shepard dogs and look important to settle the fare-paying public.

It was probably too hard to bother with you. but they do have the power to stop question & detain you

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/atsr2005457/

The Act gives Australian Protective Service and Australian Federal Police officers the power to:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<UL =disc>

<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">request a person's name, address and reason for being in a place, or in the vicinity of a place, person or thing in respect of which the Protective Service has functions, where the officer reasonably suspects the person might have just committed, might be committing, or might be about to commit a prescribed offence, </LI>

<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">stop and search a person the officer reasonably suspects has in their possession a thing that could be used to cause substantial damage to a place or death or serious harm to a person in respect of which the Protective Service has functions, and </LI>

<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">seize a thing the officer is searching for or any other thing the officer reasonably suspects is likely to be used to cause death or serious harm to a person, or to a person who is in a place, or in the vicinity of a place, person or thing in respect of which the Protective Service has functions</LI>

<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">any Licensed , Uniformed, Airport Security Guard can request a person's name, address and reason for being in a place, their ASIC card, and have the powers to detain said persons not complying with the act.</LI>

Guest danda

Bruce, do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply, that’s sad when I thought we were just one big happy family flying high.

I suppose age does bring with it a hint of cynicism after all humour is all but lost.

Don

danda

Guest Guest

"reasonably suspects" is the hinge pin as they say.

If they weren't 100% sure, they'd be up for a law suit, which is why you'd find they would be reluctant to have a go at you.

An ASIC wouldn't be required on a private field anyway, so in many places you could potentially tell them where to go.:)

"reasonably suspects".... Orwellian speak perhaps?

Oh sorry... that IS cynical...;).gif

BTW; Slip into Officeworks.. They have lanyards and rigid card holders for around $5. They Look just like the real (CASA approved) thing too.. APS can put their guns and dogs away now..

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

To the best of my knowledge you have to provide your own!!! They were avaible at Narromine with the R.A.Aust logo on them but I just missed out. I have emailed Zebra Publishing in regards to when they will be available again,I will let you know the outcome.....

(Somehow I think that your original question became lost LOL)

I thought we were just one big happy family flying high

Well yes, WE are all one big family of flyers, but the powers to be that are dictating and trying to enforce this crap are all ground lubbers, and they think we're mad just because we fly! :ah_oh: 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Any wonder they are wary of us. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Fortunately they have their Alsations and Glocks to hide behind. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Arthur.

Guest ozzie

Arthur, you would think that the powers that are, instead of being wary of us, would rather enlist our help whilst we are in the air. we have an large number of aircraft scattered all over this wide country. You would think that we would be receiving material in the mail asking to keep our eyes open for strange activities around the coastline and traces of "camps" out bush. not that we should go looking but just what to do if we see something strange. The way it seems now is you are percieved as the enemy until shown otherwise. and even then they don't belive you or your paper work. We could be a great asset to the security of this country. ozzie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vigilant

For the guest who seems to be a bit of a bush lawyer a few points of fact. As the moderator rightly pointed out the APS DO have the powers to question and detain, they DON'T need to be 100% sure and are indeed protected from lawsuits for performing their lawful duty - reasonable suspicion is a lot less than reasonable belief, perhaps the Commonwealth Games may have had something to do with it and associated security?

Due totimes that we live in unfortunately we do have to comply with these requirements, we may not like it but get over it! I myself am new to RAA and have logged only six hours, but to law enforcement I have 15 years service and guess what - we have to wear ID at workand did sowhen I was in the RAAF back in the 80's & 90's.

Happy to discuss this matter and not behind my glock or badge smiley1.gif- we are here to enjoy flying and fellowship and remember we are from all walks of life. I think perhaps that the ASIC should be incorporated into the pilot certificate.

All this discussion coming about because of someone missing out on something they thought they should have got a little piece of plastic and nylon cord to go around their neck to display a card such a kafuffle over such a trivial thing.

I donated to the cancer council and they gave me one for free plus it’s a great feeling to help someone else.

Don

• 1 month later...
Guest AusDarren

My ASIC arrived from RAAus today, after a 9 week wait, and thanks to this topic I had already scrounged a holder :-)

and it did indeed arrive without one..

Perhaps it would be a good product for the Shop Ian.

Thanks for your help ;).gif

Regards.

AusDarren