Tasmania

craigos

You're apparently legally allowed to fly there RAA, but I'd want to go via one of the islands.

Make sure you read your ERSA (aka 'Sky Bible') before heading off as it will tell you the appropriate minimum height restrictions to maintain radio contact (4000ft I believe). I would want a high level overfly trip of around 8,000ft to ensure you have a large margin for error should you suffer engine failure.

You would ideally want to overfly one of the several islands between Tasmanian and the mainland - either main islands have substantial national parks and conservation areas, and as such have minimum flyover heights and horizontal distances. I would read your ERSA and either mark or copy appropriate pages and highlight any necessary information. From memory minimum flyover is 2500ft. Again, I would want to be at 8000ft for the crossing to give safety margin.

Cheers - boingk

I talked to a bloke that did it in a savannah ADV and he said there was still a period of about a 10 min clench where it was too far to glide back and too far still to go even after maximising the safety margins.

I talked to a bloke that did it in a savannah ADV and he said there was still a period of about a 10 min clench where it was too far to glide back and too far still to go even after maximising the safety margins.

Has anyone done the calculations?

Say you're in the middle of Bass Straight at 8,000 feet and the fan stops turning because your UL Power/Jab/Rotax seizes/breaks a crankshaft/develops a throughbolt problem. Surely that's too far to glide to land?

If fishing vessels around the north are required to carry lifeBOATS, that should put a risk assessment into perspective. One guy has made it across on a windsurfer, but calm days are few and far between; don't bank on being fished out, otherwise have a good trip.

Craigos,

The attached is something I picked up from somewhere off the web (could even have been off this site). Take it as it is ....... guidance ........ and then apply your own safety logic to it. If all your planning comes off and the weather lets you go, take lots of photos and video and post it here with a lessons learned essay (so we know how much fun it was) .... Ta

Phil

Crossing Bass Strait.docx

Well is it strictly legal.....25nm over water is the limit UNLESS you get the appropriate dispensations from the authorities

Yes, flights to Tasmania are perfectly legal in an RAAus aircraft and even by direct flights as a further option to the recommended island hopping, CAO 95.55 states: (www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao95/9555.pdf)

7.2 In spite of the limit of 25 nautical miles mentioned in subparagraph 7.1 ©, anaeroplane to which that limit would otherwise apply may be flown between

Tasmania and mainland Australia, in either direction, by a longer route if

taking advantage of safer weather conditions.

Has anyone done the calculations?Say you're in the middle of Bass Straight at 8,000 feet and the fan stops turning because your UL Power/Jab/Rotax seizes/breaks a crankshaft/develops a throughbolt problem. Surely that's too far to glide to land?

You probably wouldn't be in the middle of the Bass Strait at 8,000ft unless IFR or climbing/descending to a VFR Cruising level. If the engine fails, fly the plane, Aviate. Navigate. Communicate. Depending on the aircraft and its particular performance, you possibly could glide to land. Don't forget there are islands that you can follow. If it were too dangerous, do you really think CASA would allow these flights? Class E extends to FL180 over most of the Strait, so in a GA aircraft, assuming the aircraft can go to the FL's, and you have oxygen (and whatever else would be required), a higher altitude can be used. RAAus pilots can also request an exemption from CASA if they wish to as per Section 9 of CAO 95.55 (See above link).

9 Approval of flights not complying with flight conditions 9.1 A person who wants to fly an aeroplane, to which this Order applies, otherwise than in accordance with the flight conditions set out in paragraph 7.1, may apply to CASA for approval of the flight.

9.2 The application must:

(a) be in writing; and

(b) include details of the proposed flight; and

© be made at least 28 days before the proposed flight.

9.3 CASA may, in writing, approve the application.

9.4 The approval:

(a) must specify which of the flight conditions set out in paragraph 7.1 do not apply to the use, by the applicant, of the aeroplane in the proposed flight; and

(b) may specify conditions to be complied with in relation to the proposed flight.

9.5 If the proposed flight takes place in accordance with the approval (including any conditions specified in the approval in accordance with subparagraph 9.4 (b)), the use by the applicant of the aeroplane in the flight is not subject to the flight conditions specified in the approval in accordance with subparagraph 9.4 (a).

Note Definitions of some expressions used in this Order can be found in regulation 2 of CAR 1988 (as provided for by subregulation 5 (2) of CAR 1988). Expressions defined in regulation 2 include (for example)acrobatic flight,agricultural operationsandcertificate of approval.

The ERSA contains pretty much everything you need to know, ATC are there to help so don't be afraid to contact them. Don't forget your life jacket and other mandatory safety equipment. The crossing has been flown by plenty of pilots and the plane doesn't know you are over water, they biggest thing to watch out for is weather conditions - Don't be afraid to wait it out because conditions in the Strait can get very nasty, real quick.

Oh, and don't forget to take your passport augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif and make sure you don't take anything that you shouldn't due to Quarantine... http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/destination-tasmania.html

Yes, flights to Tasmania are perfectly legal in an RAAus aircraft and even by direct flights as a further option to the recommended island hopping, CAO 95.55 states: (www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao95/9555.pdf)

You probably wouldn't be in the middle of the Bass Strait at 8,000ft unless IFR or climbing/descending to a VFR Cruising level. If the engine fails, fly the plane, Aviate. Navigate. Communicate. Depending on the aircraft and its particular performance, you possibly could glide to land. Don't forget there are islands that you can follow. If it were too dangerous, do you really think CASA would allow these flights? Class E extends to FL180 over most of the Strait, so in a GA aircraft, assuming the aircraft can go to the FL's, and you have oxygen (and whatever else would be required), a higher altitude can be used. RAAus pilots can also request an exemption from CASA if they wish to as per Section 9 of CAO 95.55 (See above link).

The ERSA contains pretty much everything you need to know, ATC are there to help so don't be afraid to contact them. Don't forget your life jacket and other mandatory safety equipment. The crossing has been flown by plenty of pilots and the plane doesn't know you are over water, they biggest thing to watch out for is weather conditions - Don't be afraid to wait it out because conditions in the Strait can get very nasty, real quick.

Oh, and don't forget to take your passport augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif and make sure you don't take anything that you shouldn't due to Quarantine... http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/destination-tasmania.html

Some great information, Ignition. Anyone doing this will get the excitement of a Bass Strait crossing AND the Hobart equivalent of this stamp:2131342096_Sydneyarrivalstamp.jpg.ac3952faf26911680ddee6a824da4391.jpg

BTW: What ever happened to Bass Scheffers?

Not sure what the fuss is about - people go on and on about how they love low altitude operations, or even how they like cruising along at a perfectly legal 1000ft AGL.To me those are both examples of a hazardous flight as they don't allow enough margin for error.

All crossing the Strait entails is that you get a margin of error under you (ie plenty of alt) and go across. How long has your longest flight been? Is your navigation up to scratch? Is your aircraft well maintained and not nearing service intervals? If you're indicating the right answers to all those then I wouldn't be too put off.

By the by, I haven't done this one yet so take all of my advice as purely tounge-in-cheek.

- boingk

Hi guys thanks for all the comments, i will be flying my own A/C there and have done a fgew trips to KI and to launceston before but never toured the island before ,so what i am really after is local knowledge airfields places to visit etc. Oh and some good weather from Qld to Tas and return over a couple weeks ! i better start writing to santa now .

In Hobart, you can land at Cambridge Airport http://www.ourairports.com/airports/YCBG/

There are quite a few airports / airstrips south of Hobart

http://www.ourairports.com/search?q=Sandfly%2CHobart&mode=geo&show=

Glendieve Airport is a private grass strip behind my place....

It is about 700m long, but the grass is not cut all the time and you should ask for permission...

I'll be using and maintaining it one day!

I haven't landed at any of the others!

Cheers

Mark

Some great information, Ignition. Anyone doing this will get the excitement of a Bass Strait crossing AND the Hobart equivalent of this stamp:[ATTACH=full]19697[/ATTACH]

BTW: What ever happened to Bass Scheffers?

Bass is still based at Gawler Airfield in SA with his Sportstar.

Alan.