The Mile High Club

Guest john

An experienced daredevil American aviator named Lawrence Sperry invented an early type of an autopilot. In 1916, Lawrence Sperry was giving flying lessons & other horizontal lessons to Mrs. Waldo Polk. They were flying together in a biplane over the district of Babylon near New York, when Sperry apparently decided to give the newly invented autopilot a rather stringent test. Mrs Polk agreed & Sperry set the plane onto autopilot before abandoning the controls for some horizontal exercises in the plane .

Something went wrong with the autopilot whilst the 2 were engaged in other unusual horizontal activities & the small biplane crashed into a nearby bay. Sperry later mentioned that he must have accidentally bumped the autopilot controls whilst he was engaged in other unusual activities.

After the plane crashed into the water, Duck hunters nearby rescued the 2 from the plane who were both in their birthday suits .

Later on Sperry explained to the newspapers journalists that the shock of the crash landing had shaken their clothes off , however 1 newspaper reported headlines of "Aerial Petting-Ends in Wetting "

na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

Mile high sounds great but its only 5280ft. (just about circuit height at Armidale, NSW.) Not much of a challenge really (yawn)

I think the mile high activity is more of a challenge than the flying unless you have trees there higher than 1500 ft.

So sorry you seem to be missing out on the good things in life GraemeM.

I love flying, but that's not all there is in life.

I'll have a quiet word in the ear of Nanna in the Never Ending Story, maybe she has a solution for you.