Best route Sydney - Melbourne?

Guest thomaswb

Guest thomaswb

I'm considering flying a Jabiru from Sydney to Melbourne (Tyabb) in July. I've flown as far as Bungendore in the past, and I was just going to keep going, via Tumut and Wangaratta. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best route, or any other words of wisdom?

Really two options, down and around the coast Moruya-Merimbula-Mallacoota to Lakes Entrance then through East Sale airspace (de-active on weekends) then across Latrobe Valley then on to Tyabb. Or you could go the 'inland' route via the track you suggested.

Our regular track from Canberra to Werribee (other side of bay to Tyabb) is Canberra-Tumut-Albury-Wangaratta (comfort stop)-Lancefield-Melton-Werribee. To get to Tyabb via this route you'd track Wangaratta to the Kilmore Gap, down the VFR lane to Lilydale then down to Tyabb from there...well that's how we'd do it.

Cheers,

Matt.

Guest brentc

I've done that one a few times too. Not many options for avoiding tiger country as you depart Sydney, arround Mittagong etc. Best off to get as high as you can and not look down. It's smooth sailing once you get to Goulburn area. I recall getting height under the controlled airspace can be a bit of a pain. Try and pick your weather and you must get a weather report for the Kilmore Gap north of Melbourne, otherwise you may not get through. Kilmore Gap has it's own weather observatory and met / notams page are updated frequently with the cloudbase, however the ground there can be over 1,000ft or more.

If you're looking for a nice place other than Tyabb when you're down, Tooradin is a buzz with action every weekend and it's only about 10 miles from Tyabb.

Guest thomaswb

Thanks to all for the informative replies.

I've decided on the following plan: the usual Sydney-Mittagong-Goulburn part (I'm comfortable with this because I've done it a few times) then Tumut, Holbrook (or Wagga if the weather demands it), Wangaratta, Mangalore, Kilmore, the VHF lane to Sugarloaf Reservoir and then skirt the control steps to Tyabb. Apparently that will take me 5 hours flying time from Warnervale.

I've ordered the DVD and all applicable charts. Next is the detailed planning...

I've done that one a few times too. Not many options for avoiding tiger country as you depart Sydney, arround Mittagong etc. Best off to get as high as you can and not look down. It's smooth sailing once you get to Goulburn area. I recall getting height under the controlled airspace can be a bit of a pain. Try and pick your weather and you must get a weather report for the Kilmore Gap north of Melbourne, otherwise you may not get through. Kilmore Gap has it's own weather observatory and met / notams page are updated frequently with the cloudbase, however the ground there can be over 1,000ft or more.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Thomas,

I planned the middle bit of this recently and decided that the best way to skirt the Canberra and Albury CTA steps was Goulburn-Yass Township - dct Shepparton. The track from Shepparton down through the gap is then very simple a straightforward. The track Shepparton to Broadford passes overhead Mangalore. Shepp has both Avgas and Mogas available.

Regards

Mike

Guest thomaswb

Mike,

thanks for the thought, but my little Jabiru wouldn't have enough fuel reserve after getting to Shepparton. And being RA, the steps aren't such an issue. Also, I might be breaking my journey in Bungendore, so Tumut is more attractive as a waypoint than Yass, unless anyone thinks it's too high with too much tiger country...

Regards

Thomas

I planned the middle bit of this recently and decided that the best way to skirt the Canberra and Albury CTA steps was Goulburn-Yass Township - dct Shepparton. The track from Shepparton down through the gap is then very simple a straightforward. The track Shepparton to Broadford passes overhead Mangalore. Shepp has both Avgas and Mogas available.Regards

Mike

Guest morgan000

sorry if this is a stupid question but how long does a sydney to melbourne trip take in a jabiru???

Guest thomaswb

From Hoxton Park to Tyabb would be 4.5 hours flying time.

Hoxton Park to Kilmore Gap would be 3.8 hours.

sorry if this is a stupid question but how long does a sydney to melbourne trip take in a jabiru???

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Thomas,

I would think about tracking Goulburn Yass Jugiong Holbrook etc. It's a lot flatter country on that route. I agree with the others that Kilmore Gap is always critical and if the weather is marginal there it can be worse once you get through... so always keep Mangalore up your sleeve. I would consider refuelling at Goulburn and Wangaratta.

Regards

Wayne

Easy....

Bankstown, Goulburn, Yass, and then head for Yarrawonga ( a great cuppa and welcome at the paint shop there) and off to Shepp for an even better coffee with a bloody great club and all the assistance you could ever want before you tackle the advised VFR route to Melb.

Besides, Mogas and Avgas are available at Shepp.. Oh and the coffee is the real stuff as well.

If the weather is too crapolo for VFR over the hills, Shepp has a car available as well as contacts for low cost accommodation. Not only that, its a kid friendly place as well.

If you time the flight to arrive at Shepp on a Sat, stay around for the $6 lunch (usually about 20 there) and there are plans afoot for pancake Sunday brekkies..

Ben

There is also another gap south of Yea called the Glenburn Gap. I don't have a current VTC at hand at present, but I believe you can fly at a greater altitude below CTA that way and it takes you straight to Coldstream of Lilydale.

David

Glenburn does give greater clearance to the control step, but the max terrain elevation is higher than coming through Kilmore (about 700' I think) .

The typical limiting factor in that area in winter is low cloud or icing, so Kilmore offers the best AGL to avoid these.

If the weather is good, Glenburn is more direct but you have to carry a couple of sections of about 3-5nm of forest south of Glenburn with a max AGL of 2000'.

Ron