Interesting Catch 22

My son has been learning to fly - was desperate to do his first solo on his 16th birthday. You can't apply for a student pilot licence until three weeks before which we did. Rang CASA today to ask why it hadn't turned up (they billed my card a couple of weeks ago) and was told it takes 4-6 weeks to issue !!

I guess that means no GA pilots in future will be able to say they soloed on their 16th

three weeks from student licence to first solo seems unreal. How could someone learn to fly that quicklyFirst solo should be when they are ready not rushed to occur on a certain date

Its actually only the SPL application itself You can't do till three weeks before. You can fly as young as you like - My son has been for a few months and has been ready to solo.

I've mentioned this before (I think on this forum but could be wrong). We had a lad come over from Singapore, stayed at the flying school, went home 2 weeks later fully 'qualified'. Young'ns learn quickly. their eye hand co-ordination is far better than us old'ns. Quality, as Facthunter puts it, comes with practice.

I rang CASA today to ask where my SPL ASIC were that i had sent through to them at the beginning of DEC to be told that the BOTH applications had been returned because there was a page missing from the SPL (which i know there wasn't) . The D!@(HEADS sent it to an address from 6 years ago (had it down as my postal) so i had no idea it hadn't gone through. Then when i told the girl i needed it done in 10 days now! she said that i can have the SPL in that time but said that the ASIC application that they stopped even tho there wasn't anything wrong with it would take at least 4-6 weeks!!!!!!! BAH! i nearly got on a plane and went straight down there to murder her!! now im stuffed and dont know what to do!

Ian R, I thought you could only do about 3 hours before you had to have the studentPL? Nev

No - there is no limit now as far as I am aware - school quite happy training - just you can't go solo till you have medical, SPL, ARN, ASIC or AVID. Unfortunately as mentioned they will not accept the application forms for SPL/ASIC till 3 weeks prior to birthday. John has now started on his post-solo lessons awaiting arrival of the piece of paper. Of course he would never have touched the controls of an aircraft before he started officially learning 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

The one thing CASA is VERY efficient at is receipt of money - my card was debited the day they got the application !!

Although, to be fair, I finally got my new aircraft sorted out and emailed the transfer documents - got the new rego certificate within a week.

Its actually only the SPL application itself You can't do till three weeks before. You can fly as young as you like - My son has been for a few months and has been ready to solo.

Without a Student Pilot Licence?

Without a Student Pilot Licence?

Yes

Without delving too much into it the wording from CASA is :

Before you can fly solo, you will need to pass the required medical checks, pass an examination in Air Law and be issued with a Student Pilot Licence (STUDENT). To be issued the SPL, you must be at least 16 years of age and be capable of reading, writing, speaking and understanding the English language. You will also need to obtain an ARN (Aviation Reference Number) from CASA, supply photographs and identification documentation, and complete a security check.

That's correct as far as I understood it as well (doesn't mean I am right).

I understood you only need the SPL in order to go solo. I have always been led to believe you can be under instruction all your life and never need a license, as long as you have an instructor in the right seat. We are talking GA PPL here not RA Aus.

I'm talking GA..I know it WAS the case and I would wonder why it would be changed. Aviation is somewhat over regulated rather than the opposite. Nev

Yeah it was when I learnt - I guess they have changed some things to match international standards - not all is bad !