Hall ALA near Canberra

flie43

I cannot find any details on this strip and was hoping to find somewhere close to Canberra to drop off a mate who is picking up a vehicle.

Is this strip an option or is there others?

Hope someone can help

Terry

Terry

I'll start the ball rolling for you. For Canberra, of course, you'll need a ppl, transponder and appropriate engine to get in. The closest other commercial strips are Goulburn and Polo Flat, both of which are one hours drive each from Canberra. That said , there is a bus service between Canberra and both towns. There are private strips just outside Hall and Yass. I have no idea how to contact the owner of the Hall strip. The Yass strip used to be mentioned in AOPA's book on country strips. I saw the strip about 10 years ago. It ran across the back of several farmlets just outside Yass. It is small and undulating. Dick Smith has a strip at Gundaroo but it is by invitation only. The strip at Hume is closed. That about exhausts my knowledge.

Cheers

Steve

Ultralights

Good to hear about Gundaroo. Often thought it would be good to drop in. A number of years back Dick Smith had an open day when he was awarded his Trike certificate, which I attended. Have you been in recently?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Guys,

Gundaroo sounds like it might be the go.

I will do some homework on it.

I have the PPL and Transponder etc but dont need the stress going into CB, haven't been in there since my licence test.

Terry

• 7 months later...
Gundaroo can easily be used, just have to ring the airfield manager, very welcoming of visitors.

I am flying to Canberra in a Tecnam Bravo next Sunday. I am Transponder equipped but would rather not play with CB if there is a close option? Can you give me some more info re location and contact details for Gundaroo please?

Dont be afraid of going into canberra if your legal to do so, the controllers are there to help you, and tell them at first contact, unfamiliar with aerodrome, they will be even more helpful, and the experience will be well worth some minor embarrassment on the radio if you really stuff up. submit a flight plan helps a lot as well, llets them know your coming, or in lieu of a flight plan, ring them up.

Dont be afraid of going into canberra if your legal to do so, the controllers are there to help you, and tell them at first contact, unfamiliar with aerodrome, they will be even more helpful, and the experience will be well worth some minor embarrassment on the radio if you really stuff up. submit a flight plan helps a lot as well, llets them know your coming, or in lieu of a flight plan, ring them up.

They are a good bunch of controllers down there. Not a big bunch of them so it's easy to get to know them all by name. Try to avoid flying in between 7:30am and 9am or 5pm and 7pm (when most of the heavies are coming and going) and they'll have plenty of time to help.

Guest airsick

Couldn't agree more with 68volksy. Great bunch of controllers who, in my experience, have been nothing but helpful. Even when it's busy they try to be as accommodating as possible.