Importing a Kit Plane from the U.S

DGL Fox

I would like to buy a plane from a company in the U.S.A, it is a LSA kit plane and has been flying there only a short time ago but was pulled down to rebuild it, I will get this company to rebuild it there as I have no experience in rebuilding aircraft or the time for that matter and then it will need to be pulled down for transporting here.

Could someone here tell me what would be involved in importing this aircraft here?

I know I will have to pay GST on the plane etc and R-Aus rego 19 I would guess but what are the other things that would need to be considered, or is it just these things that I have already noted and it is all basicly easy to do.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this that they could pass on to me, thanks.

David

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far from the nearest port is the plane?

This is the damage on my delivery, keep in mind this is just what you spend to get your container off the wharf and through AQIS

Customs Assessment (Duty/GST/EEC) Exempt Rated 2,991.18

GST Amount 2903.18

AQIS Processing Charge 14.00

Declaration Processing Charge 50.00

AQIS Container Charges 24.00

Wharfage Charge 836.50

Cartage 395.00

Customs Clearance / Agency Fees 150.00

Customs Compliance Fee 35.00

AQIS Fees Zero Rated 200.00

AQIS Service Payment Amount 139.00

AQIS Service Payment Amount 139.00

Fuel Surcharge 39.50

Wharf Booking Fee 20.00

International calls 30.00

Total spend $4,847.78

Yes looks fair enough, of course the GST etc would change depending on the final cost out of the US, plus I would need add to all of this, a L2 I would guess would need to put it all back together, it will need to be painted and then of course all the admin stuff for RA-Aus that they would require me to do, not sure what they would require an how much.

Thanks FT

David

Then you need to get the container from the port and delivered back to the port in the US and the aircraft loaded into the container. The yanks don't do container loading very well, the easiest way is to use a tilt tray truck, the sort that are used to tow crashed cars away from accidents, to load your container. I spent $4500 to do that. My container spent the weekend getting loaded so you need to factor that in as well. My planes where 110 miles from the port.

that $10K I spent doesn't cover the cost of picking the planes from the AQIS inspection point. but overall its a lot cheaper importing a plane than you think, in my case $5K per plane. you might need to remove the rudder to squeeze it into the container as the are only 19'6"? internally. you can easily hang the wings of the side of the container and tie the wheels to the floors. all along the side of the container are hooks.

There is nothing more exhilarating than driving to Brisbane and finding your container does indeed have a plane it after months of wondering if its empty. My container went from Norfolk down the east coast via Georgia and Texas and then across to Spain and was unloaded in Italy. After 2 weeks in Italy it headed down to Madagascar and then Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. Then onto another ship to Brisbane.

Your planes were surely seasoned travellers by the time they arrived here at Brisbane hey.

Yes I could imagine the suspense as you threw open the doors to that container and to see your planes for the first time...I bet you can still remember the feelings FT... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

David

what sort of approvals or inspections are needed from RaAus?

Yes, not sure Hongie that's something I would like to know as well...hopefully someone might know the answer..

#19 is straight forward as long as the design is approved by the RAA.

Yes I would agree with a #24 rego but as far as my Searey is concerned there are already #19 registered here so I don't think I will have any problems there.

FAA in the states, I believe have just given their approvals for factory built Searey's that could be registered 24 but they start at about $124k, which is a little above my budget, but one good thing I suppose with that, is that there will be heaps of really nice home built Searey's on the market soon in the U.S..

The only issue with buying a used Sea Rey is the possibility of buying a plane that's been underwater. I reckon anything in Florida is suspect.

Yes on the water is good..under the water is bad... I will certainly be checking that one out..

Guest Andys@coffs

First up, I havent done this so dont know any definitive answers, however with things in RAAus as they are at present I would suggest you need to write to the Techman witha full description of what you want , what the aircrafts history is and who and what is doing what to it in america before you bring it here and therefore what you need to have done before it can fly in Au under 19. I wouldnt accept anything other than an answer in writing either......

Might be cheap insurance me thinks.....

Andy

Greetings Fox

If you don't already have a dis-interested person (contact, broker, AIM etc) acting on your behalf in the US, you'd be wise to spend a few bucks to arrange same prior to signing up for any serious purchase/rebuild expenses. If needed, get in touch by PM and we can put you unto an inspector in Florida who is personally known to and has done good work re aircraft purchase; repairs and packing for shipment for one of our WA members recently. Good luck with your shopping. cheers Riley

Thanks Riley...I will contact you once I know some more details...and yes I think that will be a certain thing that I will have to do is to find a 3 rd party over there to do and inspection on the aircraft and a report before I exchange an money...

Thanks for the inputs all...

David

Guest Howard Hughes
one thing you will need done is to get the speedo converted from mph to knots

Why? Is it a requirement to have an ASI in knots?