ANR Headsets

http://www.headsetsinc.com/fly01.pg58-63 copy.pdf is that what they refer to in this review as Headset inc. conversion? Even after conversion a standard headset has better passive protection than a pair Zulu.2 when you forget to turn the ANR on. I got all the way to Moree on my first nav before I realised that I had not hit the button.

Hello Downunder,

I just recently bought and fitted an ANR kit for my David Clarke from DM electronics. Just google ANR headsets and his site will come up. I paid $ 15 extra for the battery box with the 4 min turn off timer when it senses no activity. It works really well, I use it as my pax headset, I use a Zulu Sierra ANR.

I also have the circuit for a 12V to 9V step down VR so you can power it directly from the aircraft system and do away with the 9v battery box.

If you are interested, let me know.

Regards

Steve

• 3 months later...

Despite having thrown the query 'out there' to you all a while back re ANR headsets, I still haven't got around to grabbing myself a headset.

Despite liking the PA18-50 ANR set, I was surprised to be reading a mag last night and saw the ANR5000 made by the same company with the same features for $299 rather than the $425 of the PA18-50.

Even more interestingly, when I queried the suppliers, the only stated difference was that the 5000 is made in China whilst the 18-50 is made in South Korea.

Is it just me or is this simply a suggestion that the Chinese model will simply fall apart sooner? I was sure that many of the quality sets are made in China now anyway!

Quite some time ago Ian was looking into stocking the ANR adaption kits. I don't know if he ever did.

I bought an ANR set and it does drop some of the low frequency sound, but not as well as the top of the line ones.

I may have a look at converting my old set to ANR, now that they are not being used.

Thanks Yenn - would be interested to hear how that goes.

Just got word back that the pa18-50 would still need an adapter to use with my phone, which is another 100, otherwise the lesser $299 model is fine, which makes you wonder how much handset+ anr conversion would cost.

The shame is that after trying DC's and the rec flying headset recently, I prefer the rec flying set, but noticed slightly longer delay in the voice activation, compared to the DC's for some reason. (In the same a/c)

Decisions decisions....

The anr runs on some pretty classy electronics, cheaper versions may simply not work very well and as was mentioned passive damping in anr is not as good

There was a comparison in a magazine which had headset inc upgrade up and ahead of big ticket models

As per my previous post, I recently fitted a DM electronics ANR kit to my David Clarke. The 9V battery was lasting about 15 hrs so I took out the battery box and wired it into the aircraft system through a 9V regulator, very easy and cheap to do.

I found the David Clarke with the ANR kit to be as good, if not slightly better than my Lightspeed Sierra. My mate had the same opinion.