Icom A5 volume problem

Guest Brent

Guest Brent

My Icom A5 volume is almost non existent even with the volume set to 32.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• 3 weeks later...

ICA 5 Volume

Yes we have seen it before, the audio level on the A5/23 series is relatively low in any event. The last unit I fixed was actually the speaker that had popped as it was full of sand, but others have been brought in (T8s) with similar faults. I think we changed the amp board last time. As long as it works with headsets and you dont need the speaker carry on using it. Otherwise I am sure Icom Australia can fix it reasonably cheaply for you. Our chaps take about an hour..

The radio has quite a high output at 1,5 watts, just remember when using headsets and with a intercom the ST (side tone) must be set correctly to eliminate any audio feedback to the network. To check this press and hold the PTT and turn the knob or use the scroll keys (whichever pad is set) to about 0 or 1 states ST 0 on screen. This is the same adjustment as the ICA6/24 series. Vertex have similar.

Good Luck Paul

Guest Brent

Thanks very much for the advice Paul. I recently sent the radio to Icom to be repaired, they advised the problem has been caused by over voltage, this is understandable as the original rectifer/regulator I had fitted was putting out about 16V.

Thanks again

Brent

You get a error message

That makes sense and if I am not mistaken it states "CL NG" or similar. The ICA 6 has a nice feature advising it is "over V' when you start up, with the Clone software in "expert mode" it may be reset. Not sure about the ICA5 though..will look up the software. We have fixed many with that problem. Advise customers to use a filter regulator to maximum of 13,8 volts...Icom must be able to fix it.

Ciao Paul