Sober in Ireland

bexrbetter

It's Friday arvo at 5pm and Pat the new bartender watches a man walk in and sit down at the bar and order 3 glasses of beer from Joe the older barman.

Pat watches in amazement as the man sips from each glass in sequence till they are all gone and orders another 3 from Joe and proceeds to do the same. After a final round of 3 beers the man leaves.

Pat asks Joe what the go is and Joe mentions that the man has been doing it for years and then realises no one has actually asked, all politely minding their own bussiness.

The next Friday arvo Pat is on shift when the man comes in at precisely 5pm and takes a stool. The man, as last time, orders 3 glasses of beer from Pat. being a hot day Pat says to the man; "Hi my names Pat, I'm new here and since it's a hot day could I suggest I serve them to you one glass at a time to keep them from going flat?"

The man says "Hi Pat, thanks but no need. I'm Paddy. You know I have been coming here for the last 3 years on Friday arvo and I get 3 beers because my Brother Jimmy is in England working and my Dad Jack is up in Scotland working away and every Friday arvo at exactly 5pm we all go to our locals, get 3 beers in honour of each other and it's like we are drinking together having our usual 3 rounds like we each shout a round, miss them I do and it's a great reminder of our family bonding"

Pat's quite impressed as a few of the locals who have listened in and Pat shouts Paddy's 3 beers.

This goes one for a while with the same old routine, 3 x beers and paddys on his way.

Some months later Paddy walks in looking in the dumps and orders just 2 glasses of beer. The whole pub goes silent.

Paddy drinks the usual 3 rounds of only 2 beers with his head hung low while other silently keep their distance. Paddy gets up to go and solemnly says to Pat; "How much for that lot then Pat?"

Pat replies; " No problems Paddy, on the house and might I say how sorry I am ...."

Paddy replies ...

"You're sorry? Bet you're not married to a bloody hag that's made you give up drinking!"