GA To RA-Aus

Guest aaronb

Guest aaronb

Hey Guys Just A Quick Question,

I Have About 32 or 33 Hours Up On GA (just about ot get gfpt),

im wanting to go over to an ultralight (gazelle or jabiru lsa) that what the local school offers, what will i have to do to convert the quickest way? and and there any pro or con between these 2 palnes?

thanks

(Hey Guys Just A Quick Question,)

Check the RA-Aus website for the requirements to convert to RA-Aus. http://www.auf.asn.au/Both the Aircraft are good. It is up to what you like. Sit in both and choose what you are most comfortable with. Talk to the Instructor about the Pros and Cons. Visit different Schools to do that if it is convenient. But be careful you dont get confused with too much info and too many different views. Personally i like them both. They are different but both very good training aircraft. My guess is that when you are licenced you will want todo a conversion to the other anyway. Choose a School with the Instructor you think you can relate to and "just do it"! And welcome to the world of Recreational Flying!

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

Guest Fred Bear

Speak to Chris the CFI of the school that you are looking at. He will run you through the differences between the aircraft. He's been around long enough to know how you will probably go in the conversion to UL. I'd suggest if you're a bit rusty, start in the Gazelle. If you're pretty much on the ball and you think you'll be good, then go for the Jabiru. Once you can fly the Jabiru you will have little or no trouble converting to anything else.

If you don't have your GFPT yet you'll need to do the RA-Aus BAK exam and the flight test. If you haven't done any PPL Nav's you'll need to do a few of those in the RA-Aus aircraft to get your cross-country endorsement. For a basic restricted certificate you could get away with the minimum of 5 hours plus the flight test perhaps. It may take another 10 or so hours to get your Navs done, especially in Melbourne as Point Cook is right on the edge of some pretty tricky airspace. If after you get your cross country and you can orbit Melbourne from Point Cook to Melton, Sunbury, Romsey, Wallan, Lilydale and Moorabbin return WITHOUT a GPS, you'll be far more skilled than most of the PPL's coming out of Moorabbin these days.

I think that either type make great trainers. Which ever one you choose isn't really important.

More important is that you "test fly" a few instructors. Asking the schools current and past students what they think will give a true indication of what the school is like(they will all be great and helpful when you are starting!).

Shop around!

• 4 months later...

G'day Shifty,

Mate my opinion and the quickest way is to complete your GFPT in GA, this then allows for you to only conduct a minimum of 5 hours training to get your students rec license! Then as you gain your experience and confidence, you will be endorsed to take passengers after 10 solo hours and hit to the NAV's when your ready!

I strongly suggest that you should complete your GFPT so that then is a qualification behind you. If you eventually wish to fly in controlled airspace also in a rec aircraft you need your PPL in GA, which for you, your already half way there!!

Why not take the BAK? it only boosts your knowledge and experience!

I converted after my PPL and now I can fly the best of both worlds!!

The aircraft you fly to convert over all depends on what you were used to flying in GA, if it were a low wing, you'll need to settle in, if a cessna, you'll opt for the Gazelle, but its mostly up to what you feel more comfortable and confident flying!!

Cheers

Sam

Cheers

Sam