The aircraft you fly

Oops, I realised what I said in my opening post was rather stupid...naturally it would always come down to money at the time but would the choice of aircraft you make with the amount of money you have say a lot about the personality of a person...sorry, edited opening post

In a similar vein as dogs and owners that look the same:

2.jpg.a049e49114cfc68009137fe56c2d096e.jpg

1.jpg.6812ab9d481ad6b7279293483f430bff.jpg

Yep, slow, steady, a bit ragged around the edges but a lot of fun. Always get there in the end. Dont give a rats ... about fast and furious, What you see is what you get........sounds about right. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bugg333d if I know. Do you judge a painter by his house or a mechanic by the look of his car.?

OK, Ian you have asked the question Here Goes. Some can make a decision to buy something that is NOT really what they should have because of an image they might want to portray . A lot of people buy motorbikes that are race bikes rather than the one they should be riding, but you look "COOL" on a MicK Doohan" painted Honda and who is capable of riding most of the high powered superbikes. certainly there is no opportunity to do it on the road

Similarly one might buy a really sleek carbon plane that cant really outland and not be able to carry much and needs a sealed runway so the spats don't clog with mud etc

They might buy a Tiger Moth for the nostalgia and find it is too cold in Victoria to fly it most times.

Cars are often purchased for the "image" of success that they convey.

So as I have written this I don't know how much the afforementioned factors come into it, so the answer at this stage is YES!! With aeroplanes it does often tell you a lot about the user/owner.. If it's big and old it tells you that at one stage he/she thought they were RICH. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I love old planes and especially rag n tube, but common sense ( and crap bank account) says warbirds are off the list, nearly bought a bent Harvard a while back till I realised buying it and fixing it would be cheap compared to operating it.

Still one can dream, and then there's the whe replica scene , full size Camel or SE5a anyone?

Yeah. I was going to go 1/2 in a Mustang years ago. then realised the fuel would kill me It was nearly new. I think most pilots face reality at some stage. You can have money or an aeroplane but not both at the same time. Nev

• Agree 2

I think most people buy the best they think they can afford. But if someone else needs to be convinced, then their tastes may dictate because of luggage capacity, heating, style ( I won't ride in a smelly old plane!)

Putting it another way, if money was no object how many would fly what they do now? Chances are the plane on your wishlist says more about you than what's actually in your hangar - that's assuming you're lucky enough to have a hanger plus some kind of aerial contraption to put in it.

rgmwa

I would fly almost anything that is safe. (Won't fall apart and is controllable) But you build up from there. If you win the lottery and then buy a plane LUCK comes into that, but for most folks it is a matter of being keen on aviation and applying priorities. It often involves making sacrifices in other ways to go there too I like the group aspects to it. Exchanging ideas and working together. Nev

might be all those other things that reflect who you are but I agree with FH's point .............. pilots, ownership or hire, its a group of people, its interaction, getting to know others with an aviation interest .................. thru similar owners, most other aircraft owners or even the local aero club (if there is one)

• Agree 1

You might find a lot of doctors or pharmacists have a nice PT 6 powered pressurised Twin. Very nice but you have to fly that thing pretty often to keep current for multi engine PIFR. Simple sport planes are best and if you want to travel in all weathers go airline. Nev

• Agree 1

You might find a lot of doctors or pharmacists have a nice PT 6 powered pressurised Twin. Very nice but you have to fly that thing pretty often to keep current for multi engine PIFR. Simple sport planes are best and if you want to travel in all weathers go airline. Nev

Ha! I wish. Not likely with the wages out there. Reality intervention means I'm happy with the XL

• Agree 1

I love old planes and especially rag n tube....... full size Camel or SE5a anyone?

Yes, please! Or a Sopwith Pup.....

BTW - are you a member of TAVAS, MM2?

Tecnam Sierra? Hmm 1. sleek, 2. sexy, 3. great lines, 4. handles well, 5. good to look at, 6. expensive, 7. proven. 8. reliable, 9. good to be in, 10. quality build, 11. Stable, 12. Fun

Me ? 1. no, 2. maybe, 3. could have, 4. yes 5. viewers opinion, 6. no, 7. yes. 8. yes, 9. yes, 10. yes, 11. yes, 12. yes

Alf