RAAus Registration Update 27/5/2013

Admin

Ed is in Canberra as we speak having a crisis meeting with the Staff and setting a plan to get us all out of the poo. I personally wish him best of good luck. I do hope he lets us in on the plan. I hope the plan includes getting all our records digitised so that they can get away from the paper war that they are currently losing.

CASA would like the records digitised - it will make the handover so much easier at the end of the year when we all get an RPL. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turboplanner, Your information link is 100% correct, but now apply what is in it, to the fraud that was uncovered and referred to in my link.By reading your link, this bloke should have been locked up for life, but in reality he got nothing, and got to keep his rewards, in fact the people who alerted the officials to the crime came out of it worse off !!!!

Sadly, the days of where people attend court to see justice based on common sense are gone, and have been replaced by the frustrations based on the determinations of terminology, while the solicitors & barristers pat themselves on the back and say what a good job they are doing.

Off Topic, but supposedly we live in a society that treats everyone equal (Bulls#$%^)

If I drive my car and hit a Non Registered, Uninsured vehicle that is being driven by an unlicensed driver, I am still responsible for that persons injury, and if I am uninsured I could lose my house, savings, car and every asset I have, and that wealth is transferred to the person who was doing an illegal act.

If the roles are reversed and he hits me, If I am uninsured, I get sweet FA and his life goes on as normal.

Back on topic, I predict that at the end of the day, no individual will be held responsible or accountable, and CASA will end up with a big Organisational orgasm by announcing that it has uncovered a big wrong doing that it is fixing, and how lucky we are to have them there.

If I can identify a live case from your comments, so can the lawyers, so I want to make it clear and unmistakeable that my comments did not relate to any case, and I'm not going to be drawn in to making specific comments or conclusions about any live case.

I posted the link because it specifically shows various levels of fraud and penalties - none were life sentences.

I too would like to see justice based on moral grounds as well as legal definitions, but that hasn't been done since Solomon's time in Jerusalem, and it was problematic then, so what we've got is what we've got and it's the same for all of us.

As for your two examples - if you are negligent your are responsible for the other person's injury and he will be charged with unlicensed driving - what's wrong with that?

And you won't lose your house if you are suitably insured.

If the roles are reversed and he is negligent, he pays and you get charged with unlicensed driving- what's wrong with that?

Back to the thread topic - delayed registration, after reading the dozens, if not hundreds of posts, I've reached the conclusion that this situation is a direct result of the owners sitting back and not taking any action to investigate a situation we were loudly broadcasting two years ago, so solving this delay should largely be left to the people directly bitten by it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Off Topic, but supposedly we live in a society that treats everyone equal (Bulls#$%^)

I see a different society... and it is a far uglier picture than the one painted... full of poor me-ers and paranoid although wonderfully creative in their level of paranoia participants.

I think a stumbling block in the short term is working out who is going to pay for the approval - manufacturer, importer or hapless owner/s.

The problem with in-flight adjustable props on LSA aircraft has only recently (early 2013) arisen following CASA audits of RA-Aus. In the past, and in good faith, several 'CASA Authorised Persons' have signed off many dozens of LSAs with in-flight variable props on the basis that, as there was no published ASTM standard for in-flight variable props (as there also aren't for brakes, tyres, etc), the OEM aircraft manufacturer could issue a Statement of Compliance for the whole aircraft, including the variable prop.

Unlike the USA, where in-flight adjustable props are not allowed under LSA regs, CASA/RA-Aus specifically allowed them - as stated at presentations and in writing before the LSA category came in - in Australia right from the start. The very first LSA ever registered in Australia was an Evektor SportStar, in early May 2006 - fitted with an in-flight variable prop. Believe me - the CASA Authorised Person went through everything with an extra fine tooth-comb before signing off the first LSA in the country! Now CASA/RA-Aus are saying in-flight variable props are allowed, but only if they conform to an 'acceptable standard' and that it was a mistake (by who?) that ('un approved') in-flight variable props were allowed from the start. At present, there appears to be no standard 'acceptable' to CASA/RA-Aus.

Surely if any cost is involved it should be borne by CASA/RA-Aus for (a) telling everyone in-flight variable props were acceptable from the start, (b) sanctioning their 'Approved Persons' to sign off the aircraft with them fitted and © renewing registrations of aircraft fitted with in-flight variable props - in some cases at least 5 times. I can't see it's the manufacturer's fault for doing what CASA/RA-Aus told them they could do. Ditto the importers. Ditto the owners.

• Agree 5

Surely if any cost is involved it should be borne by CASA/RA-Aus

= your fellow members, many of them who read this site, and might be a bit shocked by that idea, whether it's natural justice or not.

If I drive my car and hit a Non Registered, Uninsured vehicle that is being driven by an unlicensed driver, I am still responsible for that persons injury, and if I am uninsured I could lose my house, savings, car and every asset I have, and that wealth is transferred to the person who was doing an illegal act.

If you hit his/her vehicle, that is the real illegal act. The paperwork is just to mitigate your folly and does nothing to prevent it. Safety first and maintain a lookout at all times.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep others informed my rego was due yesterday so I sent Ra Aus an email 2 days ago. Within minutes, even though it was after hours, Maxine from admin replied about forwarding to techos. First thing next day got an email from Wayne confirming it was being looked at. That afternoon the misus got a call about registering over the phone but I was at airport so missed the call. I rang the next day and registered over the phone with credit card. Didnt have current landings and aircraft hours handy so another trip to airfield but all done now over the phone.

Thank you to Ra Aus staff who must be working flat out to sort out the mess.

Ra Aus techos contact details [email protected] or phone 04179 42977 or 02628 04700 for registration enquiries

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

From my discussions with the staff at RA-Aus, I have formed the view that they are not only working very hard on the Rego issue but are bringing increased resources to bear and some smart systems of work. This is clearly starting to pay off and we are seeing in the last Update that the processing rate is increasing rapidly. Not high enough yet, but definitely going in the right direction and the rate of improvement is very likely to continue to increase.

My only regret is that if this approach had been promoted by the Board in November last year, instead of the penny-pinching approach they had adopted, the backlog could have been eliminated months ago.

I agree strongly with Ross that the Office are doing a great job and we are lucky to have such a dedicated group of people working hard for us.

They certainly have my gratitude.

• Informative 1

I did my renewal online 4 working days ago , filled in the hours and landings etc. and got a PDF by email of my new rego today! and the current rego didn't run out until 13/7!

Cant complain about that:oh yeah:

• Like 1

I did my renewal online 4 working days ago , filled in the hours and landings etc. and got a PDF by email of my new rego today! and the current rego didn't run out until 13/7!Cant complain about that:oh yeah:

Well that is a significant improvement over the situation a few months ago in March when there was four weeks backlog. Job well done. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Our mate Wayne Matthews is doing a good job. And Mark Clayton is backing him up as well.

I have real confidence in the Office now that they have good leadership and access to resources and less interference.

I am very impressed. I feel we have turned a corner.

We got the renewal with the standard photocopied (send us photos of everything) form and were working on that - the plane being hangared 600km away and being a recent build, many photos had already been sent to HQ. Problems with camera / operator, printer etc and we were still looking at another trip to get the last in focus picture. Then we get an email from RAA temp staff requesting just one photo, which we could email. Easy!

The change is that they had got our file out before we sent anything in, and assessed it for missing info.

I now have confidence in the system as it is getting pro-active rather than reactive.

Sue

Guest Andys@coffs

I agree

In my case Im still not registered (around 4weeks) but its my fault in that they want a photo of the compliance plate. Apparently the W&B says its a J160 when everything else in the file says J230. All the photo's I sent them are clearly of a J230, but they still want the kit manufacturers plates. Personaly I think that's a bit over the top, I sent photos of the engine serial number plate its a 3300 not a 2200 so to me, with the photos of the outside that settles it, but then I can understand why we need to be 110% accurate.

Given Keith Rule has the said 3300 in pieces at the moment I personally don't mind the delay and am on the whole satisfied that what must be done is being done.

Regards

Andy