Oshkosh

rdarby

Has anyone been? I did Sun n Fun last year, and the next airshow on my bucket list is Oshkosh. I'll do it next year, need to save up first. And I like to take my time planning, and the anticipation is half the fun!

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay there? There is a Hilton right on the airfield there but when I emailed them they said they would be full, just like that, no interest in discussion.

Cheers

Ryan

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone been? I did Sun n Fun last year, and the next airshow on my bucket list is Oshkosh. I'll do it next year, need to save up first. And I like to take my time planning, and the anticipation is half the fun!Can anyone recommend a good place to stay there? There is a Hilton right on the airfield there but when I emailed them they said they would be full, just like that, no interest in discussion.

Cheers

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Oshkosh 2014 is on my bucket list too. I hope to meet up there with my brother who is coming out from the UK - maybe meet up with you as well!

BTW being at Caboolture are you a member of TAVAS (The Australian Vintage Aviation Society)? I am flying (commercial) up to a Meet the Fokkers TAVAS event at Caboolture on Saturday June 15th, so might see you there if so.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

I'm not but they are in the hangar just along from ours. I will be working then unfortunately, but will definately catch up at Oshkosh!

Ryan

We are going this year, this will be our 4th visit. Definitely a must do. We stay at the University of Wisconsin. Not the Hilton quality but also not the Hilton prices. Only $65.00 per room per night (sleeps 2). Buy a big fan from Walmart for under $20.00 ( We just leave them there when we come home). Meals at the canteen ( breakfast and dinner) at around $8.00 to $12.00. Bus right from the uni door to the airfield and back for $20.00 for the whole week.

Ianrat

Ch601xl-b

Brisbane. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Has anyone been? I did Sun n Fun last year, and the next airshow on my bucket list is Oshkosh. I'll do it next year, need to save up first. And I like to take my time planning, and the anticipation is half the fun!Can anyone recommend a good place to stay there? There is a Hilton right on the airfield there but when I emailed them they said they would be full, just like that, no interest in discussion.

Cheers

Ryan

I went with a mate and stayed for four days. Our accomodation was at the University of Oshkosh. Cheap and comfortable. However, that was in 1990, things might be a little different now.

We went in 2008, found a home stay through the EAA website. It was only a mile from the airport. They even lent us bikes to save walking. If want to get a feel for how big Airventure is search Oshkosh Wisconsin on google earth. The latest images were taken during the show so you can see the thousands of parked aircraft.

Hi Ryan,Oshkosh 2014 is on my bucket list too. I hope to meet up there with my brother who is coming out from the UK - maybe meet up with you as well!

BTW being at Caboolture are you a member of TAVAS (The Australian Vintage Aviation Society)? I am flying (commercial) up to a Meet the Fokkers TAVAS event at Caboolture on Saturday June 15th, so might see you there if so.

Cheers

Neil

Hiya Neil...we are driving up for the TAVAS event. See you there!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Hi Rdarby.

I go to Oshkosh and I get Avtoures to do the work for me, small cost however the organising is completed with no fuss or stress.

Avtoures organise the lot air fares, accommodation, and if you want to do extra while you are there that is done as well.

We stay at the University of Winconson breakfast $8 all you can eat dinner at night $12 all you can eat.

Book early and get an airconditioned room worth it.

The bus runs allday starts out side the dineing hall direct to the grounds and if you have had a big morning shopping you can come back to the Uni and unload the goodies and have a grandpa nap. The bus ticket:- $20 and lasts all week for as many rides as you wish.

WARNING : Get a bit walking fit before you go as you will be doing a lot of walking, there is a lot to see you will not see the lot in a week so plan what you want to see.

A tip - utilise the the John Deer trams.

Another trick - have a little wait and be early for breakfast beats the crowd.

Regards,

Keith Page.

big morning shopping you can come back to the Uni and unload the goodies .

Wow they must be big rooms if you can fit an F18 inside one! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Anyway, I will find out because I have a room booked for myself there now!

RFF meetup somewhere?

......Meet the Fokkers TAVAS event at Caboolture on Saturday June 15th, so might see you there if so.

Off topic, but I am spitting, leaving on a family holiday to the States on the morning of the 16th, and when I got the email from TAVAS I knew there was no chance of making it. Take lots of pictures and start a thread please!

Good one bexrbetter that proves all good intention can be misunderstood.

Shopping is: *spanners *usefull components* good things which are 6 times dearer in Aust etc. etc. etc..

Lights are good one to look at even construction books.

F18 are good to look at can not be placed in a back pack.

Regards,

Keith Page..

Guest Maj Millard

Oshkosh is a must for the bucket list for anyone remotely interested in things aviation. It's a bit like dying and going to pilots' heaven !... Also confirms that you are not plane crazy after all, and if you are, there are a hell of a lot more just like you !!..

There basically is no readily available, close-by accommodation at the time. This is a major international aviation event and pre-planning and pre- arranging accommodation is a must. I have never heard anything bad about the University accomodation and many have found it to be ideal and cost efficient over the years. Do not make the mistake of trying to take the whole thing in the first time around, there is just way too much going on to catch it all. Instead list the things you really want to do, and make a point of doing them without getting sidetracked.

The EAA museum is a must, but easily takes a full day to absorb all the many very historic aircraft in there. Each and every aircraft has a significant amount of history to offer, if you take the time to absorb it. You can easily blow a good day in the dedicated ULtralight area which has it's own adjacent runway and UL operating area, right within the busy Oshkosh operating area itself !......Some of the worst humidity I have ever experienced was at Oshkosh...and I live in North Queensland !...but it also can be very cold. Good walking gear is a must, and prepare as best you can because it is a major aviation sensory overload, on a huge US size scale.

The huge and historic US Air Force museum at Dayton Ohio is also a must see, and of course on the West coast the Reno National Championship Air Races a couple of weeks after Oshkosh is another unique International show offering the only show of it's kind on the planet.............enjoy it all if you get the chance....................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

MM,

I was there last year. Have to book a year in advance to get close accomodation. The university in Appleton has accomodation which was not fully booked even during the show. A bus will take you from the uni to Oshkosh and back for $50. Time about one hour. Prices at the uni include a fantastic breakfast. Go before you can't go.

Do you have to have a visa/ greencard thing for America, before the tripspacesailor

Yes, hell you even need a visa to transit in the US, that's from country to country connecting flight without even leaving the airport - and I can give you 8000 reasons why I know .... 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

But Ozzies are easier than most and most can do it electronically via the net through the new system.

I haven't done it yet but a good Oz friend just did and said it was the easiest ever in his reasonable long history of going there.

You fill in an electronic thing and pay about $14 and that sorts the visa. You don't need to take your passport in to an office or anything. Just do that a week before, I did it months before, and it registers you on whatever system and you are good to go. That is with an Australian passport, no idea about others.

This is 30 kms out $225 fully furnished....

I only have two rooms left. Are you interested in the room?

Sincerely,

Eli Pierre

Resident Director/Leasing Agent

Fox Village Student Apartments

www.thefoxvillage.com

(619) 384-5193

[email protected]

And this is the Uni of Wisconsin, Oshkosh Campus where I (and apparently Ianrat and Keith Page?) am staying some 3 kms out for $65 for 2 person rooms but no airconditioning or luxuries .... just a hole in the road but we call it home as we are lucky bastards

[email protected]

Angela Breslow

Assistant EAA Reservations Manager

Gruenhagen Conference Center

University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

Phone 920.424.3226

Fax 920.424.7422

Have been three times thanks to work nearby. Last trip was 2005 and I stayed in Milwaukee and drove up each day. Was about 90 mins each way via freeway 41N. Another option is Fond Du Lac for closer accomodation to Oshkosh. Some great tips by others on this thread. I would reiterate not trying to see everything. Plan and list the things that interest you most. Have fun 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif