Ozrunway on mini ipad

Russ

query............installing this "App" onto ipad with GPS, does GPS function drop out when Telstra coverage is lost. or have i got this wrong ????

russ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah mate, as Mark said above, so long as you have a 3G/4GLTE capable ipad, it has a proper Hardware GPS inbuilt, and you dont even need a SIM card installed, unless you want to access BOM WX and such in flight.

Guest Maj Millard

Great piece of gear by the way .I got the mini Ipad with the works, and the 1 year OzRunways download today, after the 30 day trial.

Getting oriented with the flight planning side now, and will try the lot out again in the next three days flying, up the coast to pay Farri a visit........Can't go wrong, Australia on the left, Pacific Ocean on the right !!..........Maj...

What's the preferred iPad size - mini or maxi? I can understand that the mini is a very convenient size for the cockpit, but I would have thought the larger format might be better overall, being easier to read, less zooming, etc. I'll be in the market for one in the not too distant future.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

........Can't go wrong, Australia on the left, Pacific Ocean on the right !!..........Maj...

Doesn't matter Maj. You'll get there eventually whichever way you go. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

rgmwa

• Haha 1

I have a mini in my cockpit and find it quite adequate for navigation. Once you've set up your track it's easy enough to see how you're going relative to the purple line. I also have a Garmin in the cockpit and the iPad is waaaaaay esier to see than that. IMO, go for the mini if you haven't bought yet.

Guest Maj Millard

Mini for sure. If you look at the US sites they are all going crazy for the mini, in fact the latest Tecnams comes with a mini as standard equipment in the panel...the first to do so. The mini has the same power as the large one just in a smaller format. As above plenty large enough for cockpit use, and so portable....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif

Great piece of gear by the way .I got the mini Ipad with the works, and the 1 year OzRunways download today, after the 30 day trial.Getting oriented with the flight planning side now, and will try the lot out again in the next three days flying, up the coast to pay Farri a visit........Can't go wrong, Australia on the left, Pacific Ocean on the right !!..........Maj...

Madge,

Thanks for the post. Can you please give us an update on how you find it and all the features once you have used it for a week or 2?

I've been looking at the Mini too, but thought that the processing speed was equivalent to an iPad 2 and not the latest one, but I guess that is still fine if it is the case.

Carbon Cubs have a panel option for the large iPad but I'd like to try and fit 2 minis into one panel, one for engine instruments and the other for navigation, but flip-able if one dropped out.

Regards Geoff

Guest Andys@coffs
Madge,Thanks for the post. Can you please give us an update on how you find it and all the features once you have used it for a week or 2?

I've been looking at the Mini too, but thought that the processing speed was equivalent to an iPad 2 and not the latest one, but I guess that is still fine if it is the case.

Carbon Cubs have a panel option for the large iPad but I'd like to try and fit 2 minis into one panel, one for engine instruments and the other for navigation, but flip-able if one dropped out.

Regards Geoff

The IT press is of the belief that the next mini released will be of significantly better internal config. The mini was a bit of gamble for apple (especially after Jobs poopoo'd the 7" form factor previously) and as such they simply shrunk what they had (ipad2) rather than fully engineered a solution based on latest and greatest....

Next ipad mini I think is announced this month and available around September if the IT press has it right...I don't think apple has actually announced anything yet....but generally by the time they do its been general knowledge for some time...

Extracted from here:- http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/484876/20130701/ipad-5-mini-2-release-date-rumors.htm

According to rumours, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.

Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.

The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.

However, the Cupertino-based company offers no official comment on the aforementioned rumours.

Great piece of gear by the way .I got the mini Ipad with the works, and the 1 year OzRunways download today, after the 30 day trial.Getting oriented with the flight planning side now, and will try the lot out again in the next three days flying, up the coast to pay Farri a visit........Can't go wrong, Australia on the left, Pacific Ocean on the right !!..........Maj...

Got myself a mini a couple of weeks ago too with Oz Runways running on it. Very impressed so far......... Mick

I use the full size iPad (mini's weren't out when I got mine) and the only hassle I have had as far as service goes is if you wish to look up an airfield if you haven't downloaded it previously then it won't do that without phone service. GPS works fine. So just be sure before you go I think it is into settings and download all parts that you "might" need. I am not sure wether the same applies to the charts as first thing I do is download all relevant charts for where I am and where I plan to go but would pay to be careful it would be a shame to be out of phone service and not have map picture.

Oh No. With my upcoming XC endorsement I'll be finding myself queuing up at midnight for the release of the Ipad2 mini. Thanks 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif

Being in an open cockpit microlight, a paperless office makes sense.

i have been using the trial version on my iphone, just while on the train so I can watch it work and play with the features. I can definitely see getting the mini with Ozrunways when i get the full ticket finished up, fantastic stuff! Mini is about the price of 2 or more lessons though, so probably best for me to spend my $ where it will do the most good.

Oh No. With my upcoming XC endorsement I'll be finding myself queuing up at midnight for the release of the Ipad2 mini. Thanks 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gifBeing in an open cockpit microlight, a paperless office makes sense.

Oooh yeah. I can see how an ipad mini would be very useful in a trike cockpit. Waaaay easier than charts. Mount it in a knee dock and you're apples.... The only drawback I can think of is that the iPad screen is a little hard to read in direct sunlight, especially if you're wearing sunnies...but not impossible to see.

The ipad mini works very well with Oz Runways.

The size of the mini is just right in my opnion.

To begin with I had the full size ipad 3, but when the mini was released I sold the ipad 3 and bought a mini.

Have not regretted doing that one bit. The mini is perfect.

• Agree 1

I would not have anywhere to put a full iPad in my plane - I waited till the mini was released and absolutely love it - its plenty fast enough for anything ozrunways will throw at it. I use it in a tri-fold kneepad.

I got in touch with my inner self today......that's the last time i buy cheap toilet paper.

I sometimes drink a glass of water..........just to give my liver a surprise.

sorry folks..........you can delete this.........russ

• Haha 2

I just went down to the Apple shop and had a play with both sizes. The mini wins it easily for me. The screen is not that much smaller than the full size iPad, and that big black surround is just excess real estate in a cockpit (or anywhere else). I'll probably wait for the next generation to be released in a few months time, and either pick up a current version at a cheaper price or spend the extra if it looks worthwhile.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

just become aware that a remote located beacon is avail from mendellsons etc etc that bluetooths to the ipad gps, giving better reception. Will eliminate signal drop out from within cabins etc........costs $115.00

mate has one............the "red" domed one ( other styles/types avail also )

Oooh yeah. I can see how an ipad mini would be very useful in a trike cockpit. Waaaay easier than charts. Mount it in a knee dock and you're apples.... The only drawback I can think of is that the iPad screen is a little hard to read in direct sunlight, especially if you're wearing sunnies...but not impossible to see.

Hopefully the New Ipad Mini screens will improve this. gangnam.gif.007997afc91fff9e44056d93617435e4.gif

just become aware that a remote located beacon is avail from mendellsons etc etc that bluetooths to the ipad gps, giving better reception. Will eliminate signal drop out from within cabins etc........costs $115.00mate has one............the "red" domed one ( other styles/types avail also )

Good idea. I think that's a good option if you already have the ipad (without GPS) you plan to use, but because I am considering getting a new mini - I'll just get one with built in GPS - works out about the same price. And being in a trike will not restrict the satellite signal that much anyway.

Guest Andys@coffs

I'm told that the external GPS modules are better than the inbuilt ones.......Personally I cant see it (at least as compared to the one in my full sized ipad 3) my inbuilt receiver works just fine, all of the time inside my J230.....that said the J230 is all glass and doesn't electrically shade the heavens...perhaps a fully metal high wing may need a remote receiver, but not because its better, just because it can sit way forward on the glare shield and get a good view of the sky through the main cockpit window as could the ipad......but might be difficult to see it then....

Perhaps your mileage may vary depending on plane and actual ipad you have

Andy

I have the iPad 3 with Ozrunnways. I would not like to go smaller with the Mini.

Although obvious advantages would be more compact and some extra gizmos.

I am a happy chappie.

Phil