Ozrunway on mini ipad

Russ

Hi All...

I have an Ipad mini aith ozrunnways installed.. havn't used it in flight yet but I recon it is the perfect size.

I have the version with the inbuilt GPS, but I don;t have the sim installed. I am too cheap to fork out for another data sim when I already have one in my iphone... so I use tethering. Turn on personal hotspot on the iphone and the ipad can then use that to access the internet using wifi.

So I get the benefit fo the inbuilt GPS as well as data access without the second sim.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

For clarity:-

Apple sell two versions of ipads for both form factors.

1) a WIFI only ipad.

2) a 3G/4G (which one depends on which year the gear was made) and GPS as well as the same WIFI that 1) offers

the 3G/4G data capability and the GPS are completely independent of each other with one minor exception being that the GPS can find and establish a link with the GPS satellites faster if the rough location of the ipad is known first (chicken or egg syndrome) , and it is roughly known when there is a 3G connection because the ipad knows what cell its connecting to. If the 3G cell is not connected because their isn't a sim fitted, or their simply is no, or very poor reception then the GPS will still work happily but might take a few more seconds to establish the initial fix....Once that has happened then the 3G/4G plays zero part in the GPS function.

In flight the 3G/4G capability can be used to pull down extra maps/facility Pdf's (ERSA) and look at the BOM weather radar or even inflight notams etc....but to be honest I just buy a slightly bigger ipad and download ALL the maps and Pdf's at home....If I have to divert in flight I sure don't want to be f*Kn about trying to get appropriate data downloaded when it could have been there when I took off.....who needs the grief!

Andy

No.. you don't need the 3G (or any data connection) for the GPS to work.

Only need that to download or update stuff and general internet connection, like checking weather etc..

If you just want the purple line, you can have the iphone off and not connected to save battery.

Thanks guys - that's what I thought. Just checking.. I use my wifi ipad2 with my phone hotspot like Andrew says - and works just the same as a having a sim in the ipad but no extra sim to worry about. I would run the 3g Ipad3 mini with GPS without SIM for the live Ozrunways too, after installing all maps and ersa required with wifi connection.

I have had OzRunways since its inception and love it, first on my iPhone to try it out, now on my iPad2. However.....Everyone needs to understand the CASA approval for an EFB and the need for document backup, and that does NOT include the iPad mini because the screen size is too small. The minimum size is defined as A5 = 210 x 148. The mini iPad outer dimensions are only 200 x 135, which means the screen is even smaller still. The standard iPad2 has a screen 200 x 150 which is close enough. Clearly an iPhone is unacceptable.

See CASA website under EFB FAQs -

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101203

".....The requirements of CAR 233(1)(h) are clear in that the pilot must have the latest documents from an approved vendor readily accessible. It is the readily accessible requirement that prompts the need for backup and all pilots need to ensure how they meet that requirement in the event of a tablet malfunction.

An electronic device such as another tablet is an acceptable backup. Private pilots can use tablet devices as a primary means of in-flight documentation, as long as the documentation is from an authorised source (such as Airservices, OzRunways, Jeppesen or Lido)......"

So good old (current) Air Services paper backup is IMHO compulsory for your own safety.

I personally think the iPad mini should be acceptable, especially with its improved resolution and brightness, and clearly all your enthusiasm supports this, but there has so far been no reference to CASA approvals for EFBs yet in this thread so thought I'd draw your attention to it.

My only problem with my iPad and kneedock is my polaroid prescription sunnies blackout the display completely in portrait mode. Oh for a swivelling kneedock!

Guest Andys@coffs

Or.......ditch the polarised Sunny's. I remember on this forum many years ago there was a post by an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist about glasses we should use with flying and I recall that there is some reason that polarised aren't good for aviation......

Andy

My optometrist tells me that polarised glasses can hide highlights like reflections off aircraft wings.. so could make them harder to spot... she isn't a pilot though :)

I have prescription sunnies just for flying, they are not polarised and are bifocal, making reading maps and instruments easy, while also giving great long distance vision for searching the sky / scenery.

I am not a fan of progressive lenses and they feel like you have "tunnel" vision an can't so easily scan by moving your eyes.

I had never bothered measuring my iPad - interesting to see that it is less than A5. If A5 is the minimum then less does not meet the minimum requirement. The CAO on EFB only applies to operations under an AOC which would include private ops in aircraft rented from a flying school.

Kaz and I must go to one of CASA's upcoming seminars - CASA has no authority to dictate minimum size to private pilot in his/her own aeroplane day VFR nor is there a requirement for a backup - pilot in command gets to decide - just be prepared for a ramp check and hope your iPad works when you show the CASA inspector.

Guest Maj Millard

Just spent three days flying using my newish Mini Ipad. It is the 3G/4g wifi with GPS , and I got the 32 gb version as the extra price was not a factor. If your buying tell the salesman you want to operate with Oz Runway, it's surprising just how much they know about it. I inputed several flight plans before I left, which worked great.I have now sorted out how to do a flight plan pretty much. It seems to automatically select the one you need and justs presents it to you, when you point where your going. Can't imagine better resolution on a new model, as this one is already perfect !....had no dramas following things along, enroute.

The time is currently set in Zulu time, and would like to change that to normal time, but haven't worked out how to do it yet. Additionally the map display (excellent) doesn't seem to include the legend info that is attached to all paper maps. This info is needed for reference inflight to identify cz boundary s etc. It may be there somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. I don't have an external GPS antennae, and haven't had a single drop-out yet, although I have been only on the coast. Happy so far ?.........he'll yeah, and the mini screen is plenty big enough for me. Haven.t noticed any dramas with sunlight on the screen either..........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Any experience/thoughts on the battery life of the mini vs. full size iPad with OzRunways ? I have the big one and it only gives me about 3 hours without plugging into the 12V socket, which is a bit awkward when I have it in the knee-dock.

I don't have a SIM card the the GPS is fine without it. However, when I need internet access for weather or whatever I just connect it to my iPhone Hotspot with Telstra coverage and that works fine. The iPhone also has OzRunways and acts as a back-up in case the iPad hangs. It did so one day in summer over here in WA when it got a bit hot and shut down..something to watch out for.

Guest Maj Millard

The mini Ipad battery is giving me easily a good day or so, although I do have it on charge in the plane, via a cig socket . It has been very easy to mount, and very easy and quick to remove when I leave the aircraft, then very quick to refit.........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I had never bothered measuring my iPad - interesting to see that it is less than A5. If A5 is the minimum then less does not meet the minimum requirement. The CAO on EFB only applies to operations under an AOC which would include private ops in aircraft rented from a flying school.Kaz and I must go to one of CASA's upcoming seminars - CASA has no authority to dictate minimum size to private pilot in his/her own aeroplane day VFR nor is there a requirement for a backup - pilot in command gets to decide - just be prepared for a ramp check and hope your iPad works when you show the CASA inspector.

I had a shortish conversation with the guys in the green jackets at our fly-in. Number one must was that you HAD to have the weather on a backup device or paper. He advised that to be legal I had to download the document. I installed "Good Reader" which displays the weather report in its entirety.

Just having an iPad is not legal. The first thing they will ask is what charge have you got left to complete your flight! and then ask for a saved current weather report.

It is possible to save a page of the weather but only that page and not the next which would have the notams and tafs.

I just put the reports for each area in the Good Reader file and access when crossing the boundaries which can be seen on the pca map with your plane symbol identifying your position.

Had mine a while now and still learning as they update reasonably often with more features.

A trap that you can get into easily is by running out of credit through your provider, so chech your balance before you leave.

Phil.

I had a shortish conversation with the guys in the green jackets at our fly-in. Number one must was that you HAD to have the weather on a backup device or paper. He advised that to be legal I had to download the document. I installed "Good Reader" which displays the weather report in its entirety.Just having an iPad is not legal. The first thing they will ask is what charge have you got left to complete your flight! and then ask for a saved current weather report.

It is possible to save a page of the weather but only that page and not the next which would have the notams and tafs.

I just put the reports for each area in the Good Reader file and access when crossing the boundaries which can be seen on the pca map with your plane symbol identifying your position.

Had mine a while now and still learning as they update reasonably often with more features.

A trap that you can get into easily is by running out of credit through your provider, so chech your balance before you leave.

Phil.

Phil, If you want to save a screen capture from the ipad of say the weather as currently displayed on your ipad, you can press the power button and quickly simultaneously press the button on the front of the screen. This will save an image in your camera roll. You can also repeat for the Notam or other parts of the weather as required. No need to use the PDF reader.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Always two aspects: what is legally required (please quote the rule) and, additionally, what is required to be safe for any specific operation (CASA guidance - pilot decision).

Reg 239 requires a careful study of weather. What rule requires a copy in the aeroplane?

The guys in green jackets may ask what they like and I'm happy to discuss what I do. I carry extracts of regs and CAOs etc to check on what is legally required to carry and that is all I am obliged to show evidence of.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Just ask them, show me where thats required. A legitimate question. Guess what...bet they get it off an Ipad !!!....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Always two aspects: what is legally required (please quote the rule) and, additionally, what is required to be safe for any specific operation (CASA guidance - pilot decision).Reg 239 requires a careful study of weather. What rule requires a copy in the aeroplane?

The guys in green jackets may ask what they like and I'm happy to discuss what I do. I carry extracts of regs and CAOs etc to check on what is legally required to carry and that is all I am obliged to show evidence of.

Well DJ you may well be correct, but I always believed that you had to have a MAP and weather conditions for your flight

onboard. So a copy of these documents are legal on the iPad. That's what they told me.

Crayon box.

I tried that one with them and they rightly pointed out that taking a snapshot only did the page in view, whereas copying to the Dropbox or similar app copies the whole document which could be many pages depending on the area.

I hope this makes sense. The two guys were very helpful and answered all queries.

Makes sense to me.

Phil.

Approval under CAR 233(1)(h)

OzRunways is now approved by CASA as a data provider under CAR 233(1)(h), which states:

The pilot in command of an aircraft must not commence a flight if he or she has not received evidence, and taken such action as is necessary to ensure, that the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in AIP or

by a person approved in writing

, that are applicable to the route to be flown and to any alternative route that may be flown on that flight are carried in the aircraft and are readily accessible to the flight crew.

OzRunways is a person approved in writing, our instrument of approval is CASA 44/13.

The approval is valid for all versions of OzRunways EFB for:

• Maps

• ERSA

• DAP East and West

• AIP

• Informative 1

Phil if you use the NAIPS ipad app it has a save feature for area and location weather information. The app is also made by the Ozrunways boys. The app also makes it very easy to submit a SARTIME.

• 3 weeks later...

query.......mini ipad without sim card........do i download ozrunway to my mac pewtar, then copy it across to the mini ???

2ndly.........can i copy "Basecamp"...garman......waypoints from my mac to the ipad as well.....

if there is a better way please enlighten.........

query.......mini ipad without sim card........do i download ozrunway to my mac pewtar, then copy it across to the mini ???2ndly.........can i copy "Basecamp"...garman......waypoints from my mac to the ipad as well.....

if there is a better way please enlighten.........

If you have a wifi network you should connect it to that. Don't know about using an SD card.

make sure you download the free trial version only via the App store (itunes). When your trial is over, go to ozrunways site directly using your username and purchase it there - it will save you about $25 bux, and you won't have to download anything again, it will just resume function next time it connects after you've paid for it.

not sure about the basecamp thing, no doubt someone will chime in