Jabiru Starter solonoid examination

deadstick

Well I had the chance the other day to open up the dodgy starter solenoid from my plane, the symptoms were you would press the starter button and hear a clunk but the starter would not throw. Any way underneath the two poles, they have a floating bridge that is held open under spring pressure when the solenoid is energized the main actuator pulls down and removes the spring pressure so the bridge makes connecting both poles and making the circuit between battery and starter. Due to the internal corrosion the bridge was stuck in the open position and would not drop to make the circuit. The replacement that I was sent had the opposite, the bridge stuck on withut warning suspect no spring pressure, I can still hear my arse clapping shut as the prop started spinning on its own accord without prompting!!!! might name the aircraft Christine after the possessed car.... LOL

IMG_1252.JPG.943816e87c168ffc0e5865cacddbfcda.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG.15c9e4572b2f83336e97fe063c9f851b.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG.1fca31dbcc1c04b034c5c8f257befc87.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG.be85b6b85bfaa32389a55675d7cdb4fc.JPG

You've certainly had more then your share of problems. Corrosion - I thought, only by looking at the outside, that they would be moisture proof - obviously not all of them anyway, Maybe contaminated from time of manufacture ?????

Hey Frank,

they do a lot of hours when they can, don't think they are moisture proof possibly humidity or condensation, I had a Bantum yesterday with the Jab 2200 install that required some massaging of the solenoid before it would throw...

• Informative 1

That's why with the approval of Jabiru I had my LAME fit a cut out between the battery and solenoid. If the solenoid sticks then I switch off the master and the battery is isolated. I had heard stories of solenoids sticking and burning out the starter motor. Now when my Master switch is off the battery is totally isolated.

You've certainly had more then your share of problems. Corrosion - I thought, only by looking at the outside, that they would be moisture proof - obviously not all of them anyway, Maybe contaminated from time of manufacture ?????

I had left a j200 out in the rain , as one does from time to time and the next time I went to start it , dead solinoid .

Pulled apart and found full of water .

Upon looking where it is positioned the rain or hose when washing actually drains right on to the solinoid ,

Anyway iput a new one on and placed a shield to divert the water ,

I dried the wet one out and put it back together and it works fine , ill keep it for a spare .

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

The spell check POLICE are at it again :

Just

between you me and the man upstairs :

They should do something aviation like ,

Go build an aero plane or something

Or maybee fly a kite

Mike

Ps (joke joice )

why?......

The decline in spelling and grammar is a result of the dumming down of education. NASA and JPL have both mentioned that education is so poor these days there is little chance we'll ever get anybody on the moon again let alone Mars. I have read reports from Uni graduates that appear to have been written by 12 year olds. Yes, there are folks on this forum that do not use English as a first language and there are folks who have problems, I was dyslexic at school - hell for me. If we do not try to undo the damage then how far will it go? Fancy getting onto a plane and the pilot can only communicate with grunts, the way things are going that is probably likely. We must rise above the 'bogan is okay' attitude and strive to better ourselves and society. It's pretty easy once you get started. I've been around long enough to see how backwards we have become, folks who do not know the times tables and cannot perform simple arithmetic without a calculator! (My local checkout chick). You may throw your shoes at me or rocks on my roof, but I shall soldier on rewardless until every child can spell Antiestablishmentarianism without hesitation! 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

• Agree 1

Getting back on topic... Solenoids were discussed in onother thread recently:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/starting-battery-and-solenoid.63697/

I followed the advice of a fellow aviator to replace the standard Jabiru solenoid. While trouble shooting a battery failure this new solenoid stuck on- pretty dangerous when she cranks as soon as you connect the battery! My trusted auto-electrician pronounced it a good quality item, but not designed for cranking. I re-installed the original Jabiru solenoid, which tested in excellent condition.

The decline in spelling and grammar is a result of the dumming down of education. NASA and JPL have both mentioned that education is so poor these days there is little chance we'll ever get anybody on the moon again let alone Mars. I have read reports from Uni graduates that appear to have been written by 12 year olds. Yes, there are folks on this forum that do not use English as a first language and there are folks who have problems, I was dyslexic at school - hell for me. If we do not try to undo the damage then how far will it go? Fancy getting onto a plane and the pilot can only communicate with grunts, the way things are going that is probably likely. We must rise above the 'bogan is okay' attitude and strive to better ourselves and society. It's pretty easy once you get started. I've been around long enough to see how backwards we have become, folks who do not know the times tables and cannot perform simple arithmetic without a calculator! (My local checkout chick). You may throw your shoes at me or rocks on my roof, but I shall soldier on rewardless until every child can spell Antiestablishmentarianism without hesitation! 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

It's one thing to spell it , but really , what child could grasp the meaning ,

How about you , do you know what it means without looking up a dictionary ?

Signed : dum arse

It's one thing to spell it , but really , what child could grasp the meaning ,How about you , do you know what it means without looking up a dictionary ?

Signed : dum ****

Hi again. I use a dictionary all the time! I also refer to the Style Manual, a book for authors, editors and people who write documents such as user guides, reports, scientific papers and other various publications. Do not be mistaken and think I set myself above others, I do not, I just take some pride in what I do. How's the plane coming along by the way?

Point taken sorry .

I've had to do some remedial work since the first couple of flights ,

The oil temp was getting to high after about 1/4 hr , I've installed a different type and today flu for 1/2 hr with stable oil temp 89 deg .( I'm running an oil temp thermostat .)

Also I've taken the winglets off , it was just an experiment ( that didn't work to well)

In short they made the aircraft yaw & difficult to handle in mild turbulence

When I thought it through , a center mounted engine has less yaw dampening than a front mounted engine so any disruption on the wing tips , in turbulence translated into unacceptable yaw .they seemed ok in still air.

With the wing tips off it flys great and very little yaw due to the fatter vertical fin I fitted this time ,( all experimental)

Cheers Mike

Ps I've booked into Ausfly in September

Starting to get nervous !