Totally new here

chrisb

Hi

I'm so new I haven't even started any training yet, so thought I'd post some questions first before I start. For starters I live in Melbourne. I plan to get an RA-Aus licence and eventually my own plane.

Now for some questions. I understand with enough training and endorsements/certifications, I can fly anywhere in Australia and it's islands with certain restrictions of course.

So lets say I wanted to fly to some place along the great ocean road or some town near the border. What happens when I land, how would I get into town? I cant walk if the airport is a long way from town.

Next question, is it feasible to fly in a RA-aus approved plane from an airport near Melb to one near Syd 360nm. What would be easier, driving or flying myself there? Ignore the above statement as I have relatives that live 10 mins away from a suitable airport.

Thanx

• Like 1

depends on the aircraft you want to own, some Raaus aircraft can fly from Melbourne to Brisbane non stop. Many owners fly all over the country, my aircraft will easily get me from Syd to Melb non stop. might take about 5 hrs though. others are good for short local flights, but are a lot of fun. all depends on your desires. A Savannah like i have, not very fast, but has quite a long range. but can land anywhere, something like a Virus SW100 could get you non stop from Melbourne to say Darwin or Perth at high speed. and something like a Drifter or Bantam will cost very little in comparison, but will be brilliant fun flying around Victoria with an open cockpit with the wind in your hair.

as for what happens when you land, i usually call a taxi, or enjoy a walk if its about 2 or so Km's away. some people carry fold up pushikes. also, once you become fully licenced, and start flying everywhere, you quickly find the flying community is a very friendly bunch, and more often than not, will lend you a club car or their own personal car if you need a lift into a nearby town.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

"More useful and practical than a boat"?

Depends how you measure it. Boat - $20,000 plus $100 fuel to catch $5 worth of fish. Aircraft - $20,000 plus $100 fuel to fly yourself 300 km for $67/km, when you could fly 3,000 km for $250 by RPT for 8.3 cents/km. But who cares? Aircraft wins in my book, but only because I don't have a boat. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

rgmwa

• Agree 1

The Weather is a big limiting factor with using a small aeroplane. You may often have to delay your trip till it improves. If you ignore that you may not have a very long flying career. Planes are a bit like motorbikes. Not that practical or safe but fun if you like that sort of thing.. There are quite a few UL's that can cross Australia capably. Others by the time you get them ready and get to and from the airport you could nearly have driven there, and the weather doesn't stop you getting back for work. Nev

I totally agree, Nev. I have spent decades building my own plane so I can visit rels in FNQld. By the time I get there either they'll be dead, or I will. (Not admitting defeat, but I'm booked to fly Jetstar to Cairns next month for a 75th)

If you have the time and a few mates doing a trip (with No time pressures) will be an experience to remember. With the bike or the plane you can't carry much. Planning and research makes it a quality experience. You know all the things to look for. Nev.

I have a motorbike, I enjoy it so much that unless I go 4wding, it takes me about 2 months before I need to refuel it

BTW shouldnt the $67 reference be 67c? and isnt that estimate a bit excessive, but I am not so concerned with how cost efficient using a plane is. Just that is it feasible to fly around instead of drive around, i.e. could I drive to gippsland for the weekend instead of drive

What I meant by more practical Is that to get anywhere in a boat takes a much longer time, and I could only go somewhere connected by water. e.g. For a day trip I'm pretty much limited to the bay. Boats are also subject to bad weather not to the same extreme but they need some or they also use fuel.

BTW shouldnt the $67 reference be 67c?.

No, dollars is correct. I suppose it does reduce if you spread the costs over more than one trip, but so does the cost of a boat if you catch more than one fish. Either way, owning boats and planes is an expensive way to travel.

What I meant by more practical Is that to get anywhere in a boat takes a very long time, and can only go somewhere connected by water. e.g. For a day trip I'm pretty much limited to the bay.

True. Planes are better when the water doesn't go far enough.

Boats are also subject to bad weather and without some decent wind they also use fuel.

Planes too.

rgmwa

Well then assuming you catch 10 fish shouldnt they worth $2,000 each?

Close! $2010 to be exact, assuming you caught them all on the one trip. But if you had to go out more than once, the costs would go up. Not a good return on investment if they were only worth $5 each at the fish shop, but then if you measured everything in dollars, life wouldn't be much fun would it. Have you booked your first flying lesson yet?

rgmwa

Hiya Chris,. . .

I won't try to expand on what all the other worthies have already said regarding flight apparatus, apart from the inconvenience bit when you land somewhere. We often land in the Isle of Man for the TT motorcycle racing, but the airfield is seven miles away from the nearest part of the race course. Yes, taxis pass by once a week, but we usually have to get a landlubber to travel across on the ferry bringing all the tents, beer and of course the van, so we can all pile in and move about at the other end !! If you plan your landing places in advance, then ground transport from the landing place shouldn't be much of an issue.

Welcome

Phil

• Like 1

Wherever you go with your aeroplane Chris,. . . . there will be issues of course. . .

I have only found France,. . . .to have the most BRILLIANT Attitude regarding people who fly small aircraft,. . . . I have been there on at least twenty occasions, ( probably more actually ) where a guy called Lucien, or Pierre will give you ( free of charge ) the use of an old Citroen 2CV, or something even older, so that you can get to the "Old Town" or the "Village" or the "Centre Ville" or the port, to sample the local haute cuisine. . . . he will always suggest a particular bar or restaurant where you will receive good service at a modest price ( NORMALLY BANG ON. . .) I've found that invariably, this does NOT happen when flying around the UK.

The usual response at UK small airfields is something like. . ." Get a bloody taxi. . ." OR . . . "There's a bus stop half a mile down the road squire. . . have a nice day. . . "

Whether things are better at Australian provincial landing places, I dunno,. . . .it's bin a long time since I was there ( Before the time when they charged you to drag your dunlops on their dirt anyway . . .)

Phil