Do you prefer sub forums or prefixes?

Admin

Do you prefer sub forums or prefixes? - read opening post  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer sub forums or prefixes? - read opening post

• I think prefixes would be a better idea
    • I think separate forums for all the different aircraft

Currently we have a load of sub forums for different aircraft...

10 sub forums for GA aircraft

20 for Ultralight/LSA aircraft

2 for Trikes/Microlights

What I would like to propose is to just have one forum for GA Aircraft, 1 forum for Ultralight/LSA and 1 forum for Trikes/Microlights HOWEVER, in each of the forums we have all the different aircraft listed as a prefix like the prefixes we have now of "How To", Information, Need Help, Important" etc.

The Pros of this are:

1. We have a tighter and smaller forum list making it easier on mobile devices

2. Looking down the list of threads in each forum you can quickly see which aircraft the thread relates to and the whole forum would be more visually appealing

3. You can search easier on a single forum for just the threads with the aircraft type prefix that you want

4. We can add many more different and less popular aircraft types as we would not need to create a separate forum for them when there may be a small number of them...you would simply ask to have added a prefix of say "747 miniature" if it isn't in the list

5. When viewing say "What's New" instead of just seeing "How To - Change Brakes" you would see for example "Jabiru - Change Brakes" making it clearer to the reader whether to bother reading it or not

The Cons of this are:

1. You can't have 2 prefixes of the aircraft type and one of the current ones like "How To", Information, Need Help, Important" etc...you would only have the aircraft type to select from just in those forums

2. Every time you create a new thread in one of those forums the system would require you to select the aircraft type from the drop down list ("Other" if your aircraft is not listed)

I need to know this urgently as I was half way doing some coding for the upcoming update that impacts the forums list and came up with this idea so I have to stop until this is decided...so please what do you say...what do you think is better?

Guest Andys@coffs

Im old school and folders work for me.....I know in an ideal world we could all use a taxonomy and from it choose a list of metadata and then use search on that metadata.

At present though I have chosen which forum aircraft I'm interested in in terms of displaying or not and just use the "whats new" button to find what I want. While functionality on mobile devices might well be important, using those devices when a full featured browser is available would be akin to taking myself out the back and flogging myself with a whip ....I wouldn't use mobile devices if there was an alternate...I don't see iPads and other tablets as needing mobile website features......I generally have no issues seeing what I want with those as things are...a mobile phone device.....use them to browse forums or poke myself in the eye.....similar choice really....

Andy

Im old school and folders work for me.....I know in an ideal world we could all use a taxonomy and from it choose a list of metadata and then use search on that metadata.At present though I have chosen which forum aircraft I'm interested in in terms of displaying or not and just use the "whats new" button to find what I want. While functionality on mobile devices might well be important, using those devices when a full featured browser is available would be akin to taking myself out the back and flogging myself with a whip ....I wouldn't use mobile devices if there was an alternate...I don't see iPads and other tablets as needing mobile website features......I generally have no issues seeing what I want with those as things are...a mobile phone device.....use them to browse forums or poke myself in the eye.....similar choice really....

Andy

Maybe you should be asking how many people are using mobile sites ?

I only use I phone and not a desk top

For what it's worth I did and still do all my oversea ordering , international banking ,local banking , pay all my accounts & bills

Emails , Skype ,eBay ,os runways and occasionally use it as a phone , any ware , any time , Blue tooth in car & plane ,google maps, & the list goes on ,and I'm not stuck in front of a screen putting on weight !

Cheers an no offense intended .Mike

Although I wouldn't want to loose it !

Guest Andys@coffs

Mike

I agree, as an internet tragic, if that's what I had then that's what I'd use......but given the chance of using the device as an access point for something with more screen real-estate......every time!

Andy

Andy , Apple TV , lie on the couch , watch how big your screen is then .

Not that I have it , but it's tempting with 100inch tv available , got a spare $ 9000.00

It will be holographic projection next ,

Imagine the forum potential then , we would be able to belt each other over the head with a virtual base ball bat !!

Cheers Mike 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif: