An Informal "Fly-in", or not

The discussion in the thread about taking your mate for a fly, and minimising the risk when someone flys in to your property has me and my mate wondering.

The situation we have at the moment is that a group of airmen from a WA club are thinking about flying in to our private farm air strip - I say 'our' but really, the farm is owned by my friend. Now we would like for the fliers to be able to land at the airfield we have, stay overnight, and leave when they are ready the next day. It would be really nice if the onus remained with the PIC as to whether he landed or not, and no responsibility rested with the land owner. In other words, the landowner takes all care( he flys his Thruster from the strip), but has no responsibility(may not be suitable for another type of aircraft) to decide if another aircraft can land(and take off) there, or not.

So, my question - What would you do? Give consent to land, or not. Get the airmen to sign a waiver. Take out insurance. Or provide all information for the airmen to make a personal decision to make the flight and land at the strip, whilst taking no responsibility. Or can the whole thing.

Pud

Its a bloody cluster #%&ck isnt it. All this insurance talk. As aviators we accept a risk everytime we fly. Simple! Either we like it or not! I would say that as long as the thruster gets in and out, then I'm in. Waivers dont work, just ask the Essendon FC. You cannot cover every situation that might arise, nor should you have to. Nobody should be expecting anything other than what it is. A farm strip. We take responsibility to accept the risk of flying and everything that goes along with it that we choose to encounter, so this should not be any different. You will never be able to cater for the idiots and the inexperienced either. Its a sad state of affairs isn't it! I cant make the decision for you, except to say, try and keep these fly ins alive. I just wish we had more of these is Vic. Just my two bobs worth anyway!

• Like 1

Its a bloody cluster #%&ck isnt it. All this insurance talk. As aviators we accept a risk everytime we fly. Simple! Either we like it or not! I would say that as long as the thruster gets in and out, then I'm in. Waivers dont work, just ask the Essendon FC. You cannot cover every situation that might arise, nor should you have to. Nobody should be expecting anything other than what it is. A farm strip. We take responsibility to accept the risk of flying and everything that goes along with it that we choose to encounter, so this should not be any different. You will never be able to cater for the idiots and the inexperienced either. Its a sad state of affairs isn't it! I cant make the decision for you, except to say, try and keep these fly ins alive. I just wish we had more of these is Vic. Just my two bobs worth anyway!

Yeh, my thoughts exactly. Whatever became of responsibility for oneself? This stuff is certainly killing off such events I reckon, and mores the pity, as they foster good will amongst people of like minds - In this case flying.

I am off this evening for 3 weeks in Canada and Alaska, so I'll look forward to all the posts when we return.

Cheers,

Pud

I think it says a lot about where our society is going that you even have to consider asking this question. I think it started with Thatcher's notion (from a book by Ayn Rand) that "there is no such thing as society". What she was in effect saying was "every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost". It's a notion that is heavily promoted by politicians and corporate heavyweights.

I read on backcountry pilot awhile ago about some legislation passed in a few US states about this exact situation. The gist of it was that all liability rests on the shoulders of the PIC, as should be the case with a unlicensed aerodrome, or off field landing IMHO.

Perhaps some of our legal eagles should draft some legislation and we can lobby for it to be adopted?

• Agree 1

When I posted this http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/savannah-muster.33706/, insurance never crossed my mind, even so, I think informal events without being over organised are the way to go, it is a worry though when something goes wrong, first reaction is to look for someone to blame. I am still keen to do it though, life is for living!

• Agree 1