Approved overtime payment to Wayne Mathews.....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

It appears that a total of 366.95 (9.6 weeks) of overtime payments have been acknowledged as owing to departing Techman Wayne Mathews by the General Manager. (GM)

This is part of an approx $18,000 severance package approved also by the current board, and includes such things as annual holiday pay and holiday loadings.

Someone had to have approved the overtime worked, and it does show that at least Wayne was doing his bit, and then some, for the members, no doubt in a attempt to clear the current registration backlog...............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, when you can generate that much overtime in that short a period of time management needs to step in and hire more people.

two tech managers maybe (or a tech manager and a deputy).

thats ridiculous.

unless its $366.95 worth of overtime, in which case that is bugger all.

9.6 weeks = 48 days (on the basis of a 5 day week)

366.95/48 = 7.6 hrs per day (assuming that the OT hours are not at a penalty rate)

If the OT was at time and one half, than the actual hours worked were 366.95/1.5 = 244.6

Daily OT was 244.6/48 = 5.1 hrs.

I would have thought that the position of Technical Manager would be a salary package position and would not have included penalty payments.

OME

Yes he was under a salary remuneration agreement but he was working under an award.

There was a provision for payment of what would be considered excess hours.

Below are a couple of extracts from the employment agreement that will throw a little light on what the actual position was which in my humble opinion are NOT commensurate with the expectation placed on Wayne. Clearly the hours he worked were excessive to the point that it was impacting on his health and he was on on medically ordered leave when he was given notice to attend a performance meeting and thereafter summarily terminated.

" ..... Your ordinary hours of work will be a maximum of 38 ordinary hours per week, averaged over twelve (12) months, plus such reasonable additional hours as are reasonably required from time to time.

There may be circumstances where the Company requests that you work additional hours, above those taken into account when determining your remuneration. In this event, prior to requesting that such work be commenced, the Company will make arrangements with you regarding compensation by way of paid "overtime" or the taking of time off in lieu at a mutually convenient time.

The Modern Award applying to your employment is the Airport Employees Award 2010.

Your classification under the Award is Technical Services Officer Level 10....."

• Informative 1

9.6 weeks = 48 days (on the basis of a 5 day week)366.95/48 = 7.6 hrs per day (assuming that the OT hours are not at a penalty rate)

If the OT was at time and one half, than the actual hours worked were 366.95/1.5 = 244.6

Daily OT was 244.6/48 = 5.1 hrs.

I would have thought that the position of Technical Manager would be a salary package position and would not have included penalty payments.

OME

Why should a salary package person be denied OT? When they start screwing their senior staff with excessive workloads and hours they lose the respect of their employees.

If organisations have to rort their staff and rort their taxes and use limited liability to rort their suppliers and customers then they don't deserve to be in business.

0.95 of an hour is 57 minutes? What an odd figure!

• Agree 2

Salaried persons are generally considered a senior position and can be trusted not to have to clock on and off like "normal peasants". Plenty of people in Australia for quite a while now have been coerced into doing a lot of excess hours under this arrangement. I don't suggest this is happening here intentionally, or that there is any attempt to deny Wayne what he is entitled to in a concept of "Fairness". Under the circumstances of what is going on in RAAus it is likely that people put in far too much time trying to fix things. If you look at the time mentioned and the total time he was employed you might find that Wayne did work EXCESS hours from a Fair expectation of what is reasonable long term. If he is being paid an extra amount in acknowledgement of this, it is fair enough. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Salaried persons are generally considered a senior position and can be trusted not to have to clock on and off like "normal peasants".

This used to be the case but many companies employ only salaried employees now. I am one, as is every employee in my very large company.

Ocassional overtime after working hours is for "love of the company" however extra days are "days in Lieu" or a fixed amount "day rate".

Seems to work fine for me......

I don't begrudge Wayne his overtime payment....

It looks like there was a fair arrangement on extra work, given that long hours were inevitable.

That Wayne worked like a horse doesn't surprise me - even with extra staff, you would work very hard until the situation returned to something like normal.

But...given the likely short tenure of any future technical managers, who would apply, and what will we have to pay them?

If it was me, I would be asking for some sort of exit payment if my employment was terminated for ANY reason other than criminal behaviour, even if I voluntarily quit!

dodo

• Like 1

I think surveys indicate that Australians are working longer hours than most comparable economies and that a lot of that time is unpaid. There is reason to suggest the system is being exploited to some extent. ( At least by some ). When jobs are scarce, this can happen more often. I am a great believer in loyalty and fair play, but going both ways . If workers are also shareholders it makes for a realistic relationship . Anyhow I am generalising here.

Wayne would have put a lot of time in, I am sure and it wasn't a NORMAL work situation . If you follow my comments on "Techmen" I feel they carry a lot of responsibility ALONE. They need support when necessary and that should be by CASA (if required) and support from designated staff (when required) and outside sources, like Universities with aviation related facilities, and World Wide Connections.. The job is too critically important to not support it fully Nev

• Agree 4

Yes he was under a salary remuneration agreement but he was working under an award.There was a provision for payment of what would be considered excess hours.

Below are a couple of extracts from the employment agreement that will throw a little light on what the actual position was which in my humble opinion are NOT commensurate with the expectation placed on Wayne. Clearly the hours he worked were excessive to the point that it was impacting on his health and he was on on medically ordered leave when he was given notice to attend a performance meeting and thereafter summarily terminated.

" ..... Your ordinary hours of work will be a maximum of 38 ordinary hours per week, averaged over twelve (12) months, plus such reasonable additional hours as are reasonably required from time to time.

There may be circumstances where the Company requests that you work additional hours, above those taken into account when determining your remuneration. In this event, prior to requesting that such work be commenced, the Company will make arrangements with you regarding compensation by way of paid "overtime" or the taking of time off in lieu at a mutually convenient time.

The Modern Award applying to your employment is the Airport Employees Award 2010.

Your classification under the Award is Technical Services Officer Level 10....."

Yes he was under a salary remuneration agreement but he was working under an award.There was a provision for payment of what would be considered excess hours.

It appears that a total of 366.95 (9.6 weeks) of overtime payments have been acknowledged as owing to departing Techman Wayne Mathews by the General Manager. (GM)This is part of an approx $18,000 severance package approved also by the current board, and includes such things as annual holiday pay and holiday loadings.

Someone had to have approved the overtime worked, and it does show that at least Wayne was doing his bit, and then some, for the members, no doubt in a attempt to clear the current registration backlog...............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Like 1

And why would he be doing long days? That's not too hard to guess. Nev

When the regestration for the Lightwing went through, Wayne was in the office all Saturday and all Sunday, how I know, the emails and SMS messages were dated Sat and Sun.

For me that is an indication of good hard work.

Regards

Keith Page

• Agree 5

Probably ran himself into the ground. Moving house and all It can not be a pleasant experience. Nev

(and) while he up to all that."as information supplied"

He was asking for help and guidance which never came, "Where is the fairness?" I think he did a brillant job, under the conditions.

Just imagine the mental overload.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I think he didn't do enough as you can see now he doesn't have the position what's that tell you if your doing your job as in job discription you stay employed as to the light wing rego I rest my case sat and sun for a rego

Guest Andys@coffs

Keith

It must be a blue moon....I find myself agreeing with a post you made......I'm sure we will now return to our normal modi operandi......

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

How can anyone look at the time taken for a single registration and declare it to be good or bad within the current set of circumstances?

A single new registration with all the required paperwork provided IAW the Tech manual is probably 30 mins of work... Reregistering an aircraft that is 20yrs old, has had 5 different owners during that time, where the file has 18 years of the 20years of paperwork in it (and who knows what or where the missing stuff is....) could easily be multiple days just working out what is needed and where it should be found and what can be done if records from 20years ago cant be reproduced...

My J230 in elapsed time took a couple of months because the W&B in my aircraft file was for a J160 not my J230.... In my case the POH had a copy of the original W&B so I could provide a copy of that to the team but I'm pretty sure somewhere there is a J160.....with no W&B in its file....... Elapsed time was long but Wayne and the team were as helpful as they could be, within the constraints that it wasn't being reregistered until the paperwork was in order!

The fact that we are still paper based is IMHO criminal and the fact that as we have been visitng each file and getting it right, to CASA's satisfaction.....and then not scanning and doing away with the paper....is equally appalling...... Without doubt we will have to go through this tough year at least another time.....the reasons stuff got lost or misplaced hasn't been dealt with that I know of, and whoever the TM at the time in the future is will no doubt also be needing some significant Overtime as well me thinks!

Andy