Obtaining a compliance statement for adjustable IFA propeller

pj8768

I own a RAA 24- evektor sportstar with inflight adjustable prop.

It was originally VH registered prior to the distributor registering it with RAA to be sold as a demo model 5 years ago.

Rego just expired and renewal held up as RAA now applying new (or newly applied) standard - require a compliance certificate from the manufacturer - to avoid another audit failure (but note CASA were quite happy with it being on GA register when it first arrived in Australia).

My understanding is that VH registration is infinite, so if it had remained with CASA it wouldn't have needed a paper certificate to make it safer.

I've read some of the other links to the IFA prop issue.

Also note the ATSM thread below.

My question - has anyone managed to obtain a compliance certificate from a manufacturer for IFA prop? Either from Evektor or similar European mob?

If so - is it an easy process? If not, is it a waste of effort and what solution did you come up with. I note one option is to change to a normal prop, which may be on the cards to keep it compliant.

I don't wish to go down the E-LSA path as I fly in class C with PPL.

Making a list of people to call - RAA tech manager, distributor, LAME.

Any other thoughts?

I own a RAA 24- evektor sportstar with inflight adjustable prop.It was originally VH registered prior to the distributor registering it with RAA to be sold as a demo model 5 years ago.

I would have thought what is required is that you would have to show that it was VH registered and had an applicable airworthiness certificate in its current configuration, and that it met the criteria to be transferred from VH to RAA registration. There are a number of aircraft transferred from VH reg - what standards do they normally have to show compliance with?

Are you even allowed to make modifications to an aircraft transferred from VH registration e.g. change the propeller, even if it then matches the configuration of other RAA aircraft? I would have thought that sort of modification would have put it into the experimental category, rather than the absence of a modification. For example, presumably the performance information in the flight manual which came with it from VH reg becomes invalid.

If you had an aircraft type that was originally certified for GA with a 80hp Rotax 912, but RAA LSA versions had the 100hp Rotax 912S, would you be required/allowed to change the engine in your aircraft match the LSA version, without becoming experimental?

I know, logic doesn't always apply...

I have a Jab 230 which was VH registered. Rego was cancelled, application was processed and RAA registered. Renewal arrived 12 mths later and no longer compliant due to C of A being for VH and not for RAA.

Re-certify by Darren B and rego is correct again. Annoying and costly, but 'them's the brakes'. I always believe that we just need to get on with life and get over the issue.

When the issue was resolved I wrote to the appropriate people, gave my opinion to assist them in future decisions if they wanted any input from members then let it go.

There's one thing I'd like seen exported overseas, what Australia does best - bureaucratic red tape.

It could become one of our major border defenses. Just think of any threat trying to enter this airspace without the right certification.

Less a test of safety, and more of resolve.

I can understand there are rules for safety's sake, but applying rules without commonsense just about drives me balmy.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
There's one thing I'd like seen exported overseas, what Australia does best - bureaucratic red tape.It could become one of our major border defenses. Just think of any threat trying to enter this airspace without the right certification.

Less a test of safety, and more of resolve.

I can understand there are rules for safety's sake, but applying rules without commonsense just about drives me balmy.

CASA have created most of them, and have mastered the art over many years..........Maj...

There's one thing I'd like seen exported overseas, what Australia does best - bureaucratic red tape.

Bureaucracy can be a little frustrating here but as far as Australia being best at 'red tape' ... well you should try spending some time in India, China, the Middle East, most African countries, Indonesia, Malaysia and now even the UK since the Pakistanis took over running it. In those places the petty bureaucrat's power is measured by the number of cheap ballpoint pens in their top pocket and the number of rubber stamps on their desk. Each time a pen scribbles and a stamp is wielded you suppose that a step forward has been made in whatever it is that you are trying to get processed, and it has, but another two steps have been added to the list.

The Australian process is Nirvana compared to that of any of those places.