Scam?

Yenn

I advertised the Corby with RAAus and within hours had a reply asking about condition and price etc.

Gave him that info and he gets back offering more than I was asking. Just send him my bank details and it is sold.

Has anyone else had this experience?

yeah that's probably a scam. did the English seem "off", or did he refer to it as "the item" or some other generic thing? They often just blast out the same email regardless of what's being advertised. can you paste in the text here, if it is a known scam someone will have seen it.

yes a genuine scam. it is about time the powers to be ( government ) started to do something about scammers

apparently Australians lost $93 million last year to internet scammers

the police seem to be more interested in booking people for going 3 km/s over the limit or setting up speed cameras at the bottom of hills etc not to mention 700 police used to raid bikie houses just to piss them off when they should be tracking down these scammers

• Agree 5
  • Haha 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

I advertised the Corby with RAAus and within hours had a reply asking about condition and price etc.Gave him that info and he gets back offering more than I was asking. Just send him my bank details and it is sold.

Yep then he will tell you he is on an oilrig and cannot pick it up

Asks you to forward some money via western Union to pay a carrier to pick it up

(or something simular )

You and never hear from him again

Well documented scam

Like this one

Google Oil Rig scam

. it is about time the powers to be ( government ) started to do something about scammers

Fair call but been raised before

At the end of the day the person gave the funds over willingly making it a perfectly legal transaction

Guest Maj Millard

Caution :....I told one via Email where to go one time..in no uncertain terms !!.... IE: xxck off Wanker ! ...they replied with a very serious virus worm, that infested our computers for weeks. Hardly worth the effort, so just ignore them........Maj....013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

I think it is a scam, but have placed a hold on my account, after the bank advised me that with that info it would be impossible for him to draim my account. There is not a lot of money in there anyway.

His email reply follows.

Thanks for getting back, am ok with the condition and will be offering you $20,400 for it. Am buying it for my holiday because i'll be coming home soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer and presently on the rig offshore. I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction here due to bad weather condition and our satellite server has been down and that's why i contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal to your bank account as i do not have access to my bank online but i have it linked with my PayPal account to make payment. do get back to me with your details such as" bank name, account number, account name, bsb code, so i can proceed with the payment and once payment has been made, i have a pick up agent that will come to pick up the of the aircraft from your address. Hope to read from you soonest and kindly end advert on site.

Pls send more pictures if available

M. Leitch

So now we wait.

I think it is a scam, but have placed a hold on my account, after the bank advised me that with that info it would be impossible for him to draim my account. There is not a lot of money in there anyway.His email reply follows.

Thanks for getting back, am ok with the condition and will be offering you $20,400 for it. Am buying it for my holiday because i'll be coming home soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer and presently on the rig offshore. I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction here due to bad weather condition and our satellite server has been down and that's why i contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal to your bank account as i do not have access to my bank online but i have it linked with my PayPal account to make payment. do get back to me with your details such as" bank name, account number, account name, bsb code, so i can proceed with the payment and once payment has been made, i have a pick up agent that will come to pick up the of the aircraft from your address. Hope to read from you soonest and kindly end advert on site.

Pls send more pictures if available

M. Leitch

So now we wait.

No doubt about it, it is a scam, next you will be asked to hand over money for some reason.

Apparently in Nigeria there are underground universities that are devoted to creating these scams. The idea with this scam is too transfer money from one Australian account to your account and then for you to transfer the money overseas. It must work because these guys don't seem to be going out of business.

I think what happens with this scam is they will "pay" you via Paypal but will "pay" too much. They'll send you an official looking Paypal receipt showing the "overpayment" and will ask you to refund the amount - if you do that without checking your real paypal account you probably deserve to help fund these idiots :)

Also be aware that Paypal has a dreadful reputation for paying out claims with little questions asked - that is they can simply withdraw or freeze money in your account with no notice. I suggest don't ever leave any significant amount of money in a Paypal account, too vulnerable.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
I advertised the Corby with RAAus and within hours had a reply asking about condition and price etc.Gave him that info and he gets back offering more than I was asking. Just send him my bank details and it is sold.

Yep, advertised my father inlaws boat last week on Gumtree and had an immediate response via a text message asking to send details to his gmail account. I entered his email address on Google and it came up with multiple people reporting his address and others as a scammer. Also listed on Scamwatch.

• 5 months later...

Here is an email from a time waster.

Thanks for getting back and providing more info.. I am highly interested in it and will be offering you $72.700.

Am presently at work offshore, as a petroleum project engineer, and am buying it for my holiday as I will be coming home soon from our rig. I will not be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, but on the other hand, I would like us to get something clear, which is" the plane belongs to you and I believe I can trust your judgement on this sale. All I want is something perfect for my holiday. I will be paying you via PayPal account, as it is the fastest & easiest way for me to make payment at this moment. do get back to me with your PayPal email account and name for me to proceed with payment. Also, I will need your address after I might have make payment for pickup to be arranged. Please send more pictures if available.

M. Longworth

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:07 wrote:

Hi

The plane is in excellent condition, the price is $72,000 firm. Do you want to see photos or more info or is that enough.

Regards

Sent from my iPad

> On 14 Apr 2014, at 8:34 am, Mark Longworth <

[email protected]

> wrote:

>

> Whats the condition and firm price for your plane?

Hi Camel

What fixes that mob tell them you only deal in Australian Bank Cheques --- first of all you get a bit of "don't you trust me" then they are off like a robbers dog.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Like 1