Suction iPad mounts

sfGnome

Has anyone had any experience with the effectiveness of suction-type iPad mounting brackets? I tried one a few weeks ago that seemed (on the ground) to hold nice and tight, but 10 minutes into the flight it dropped off and into the lap of my passenger. I noticed that the CASA regulation on EFBs requires that impermanent mounts must be stowed for take off and landing and for flight below 1000ft (and now I know why), but still, 10 minutes seems to be pretty much on the useless end of the spectrum.

Do any of them actually work?

My guess is that reduced atmospheric pressure as you climb, makes the suction mount less effective. I've tried them on a g.p.s in the tractor, works o.k for a while but eventually falls off. I found self adhesive velcroe to be reliable. Where I place it, on top of the dash leaning on a slight angle to the windscreen, it just needs a stip along the top and bottom edges.

Regards Bill

I use a knee pad for my iPad , the only suction thing in the cockpit is the aerial for the gps, and it two has a service life of about ten minutes. The knee pad works well, I roll it off to the side of my thigh for takeoff and landing ,

Matty

MY GPS uses a suction cup attached to the windscreen. At (say) 5000 feet I usually remove it and then restick it to account for the decreased air pressure. Back on the ground I need a four wheel drive to remove it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I just bought a crook unit. I currently use a knee pad, but I find that I have to get my head down to read anything, and I prefer to have at least some peripheral vision outside. Hence the desire to mount the pad higher. Alas, it isn't a mini. I wondered if the additional weight of the normal iPad was the problem with the suction, but it seems that at least RAM have the problem solved.

Check that the suction cap is not defective, that is, doesn't have any grooves or dents in the area that is meant to seal with the windscreen. The slightest imperfection there will cause an air leak.

Nup. Seems ok, and it stuck for days home here (in the kitchen - wife has taken to it). I'll give it another shot on the weekend, but give it a bit of a lick-before-stick this time.

Just to wrap this up for future reference, on the weekend I spat on the suction cap before attaching it, and when we tried to release it, it was really hard to remove. Looks like that's the secret.

Eventually your spit will lose its adhesive effect especially when in the sun for a little while. Never had a suction mount that did not fall off eventually... YMMV Ram mount definitely the way to go IMO.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for the kneepad, with the Ipad you only need to glance at it from time to time so eyes are outside 99% of the time and the big moving map under the plane lets me keep track of where I'm at ...

cheers and happy flying

Chris

• Agree 2

• 2 years later...

WP_20160312_09_37_30_Pro-1.jpg.641d78a697ce18b1fb41d8a5ffeb071e.jpg Found this ipad holder which works really well in practice. Heavy duty clip allows flexibility for your own circumstances. Pictured here in my Jabiru 430d. I now have 22 other variants available for sale after ongoing attempts to find one that works! I prefer it mounted, as opposed to knee pad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172122201777?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this is the one I purchased. It is described on ebay as Lazy desktop 360 Rotating Bed Tablet Mount Stand Holder for Apple iPad & Mini AUon ebay. (Just in case the link doesn't work). Apologies in advance if this is placed in the wrong spot.

Guest SrPilot
I have a RAM mount for my ipad mini. Never had a problem with it coming off. Works fantastically on my Jab.

I have several Ram mounts and they do just fine for me. I also have one of these (see link below) to hold the vertical exhaust extension pipe alongside my RV to vent the exhaust to atmosphere while in a campground. I think I could pull the side of the RV off with the suction on this puppy, but it may be overkill for mounting anything less than a moose.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-Vacuum-Suction-Female-Thread/dp/B00IDF1AC6

Pump the button which builds a vacuum until the red line on the button disappears. You have to pull the tab to release the vacuum. If you have the vacuum, I don't believe it will fall off unless you have the moose hanging from it. I've used it to hold heavy objects in high winds with no problem. If someone has a 3- or 4-inch model, that should be enough for a GPS, GoPro, handheld radio, etc. The 6" has maybe a 100+ pound load capacity so it's likely overkill.

weez heading off again.....soon, was keen to suction mount a gopro on the jab................wing,tail.......read they're good for 100+kts, what about 5.....10k heights ????

does me camera go missing ????.....like gawn.

Guest SrPilot
weez heading off again.....soon, was keen to suction mount a gopro on the jab................wing,tail.......read they're good for 100+kts, what about 5.....10k heights ????does me camera go missing ????.....like gawn.

I know of some cases where the GoPros departed to spaces unknown. The people were using suction cups or stick pads.

I figure a mounting stud that replaces a screw in the wing or vertical stab would be much superior to a suction cup although I think the vacuum pump suction cup I mentioned earlier might hold the wing together in a pinch (not that I would try it, mind you).

Look at this one:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/nflightcam-exterior-camera-mount-for-gopro-and-garmin-virb.html?___SID=U

Russ, If you search YouTube for "Flight Chops" you'll find a heap of videos and lots of shots of how and where Steve mounts his go-pro's. I'm pretty sure all of his exterior cameras are mounted using clamps to wing struts; gear legs; and tail lift handles while most of his inside cameras are suction mounted. I wouldn't be comfortable trusting my $300 GoPro to a suction mount at altitude and speed.